Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 PM

10,762 posts, read 5,680,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My understanding if that were my hypothetical husband in this scenario were to request to be unsealed from me he would not be given permission to. If I were alive and wanted the unsealing so that I could get sealed to another PH, that would work because then I am not left w/o one.
It has been the policy of the church to not grant a cancellation of sealing unless the woman is about to sealed to another man, although if a woman raises a big enough stink, it will be done. This is for the express purpose of trying to avoid what you have described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 04:38 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It has been the policy of the church to not grant a cancellation of sealing unless the woman is about to sealed to another man, although if a woman raises a big enough stink, it will be done. This is for the express purpose of trying to avoid what you have described.
Someone who is dead cannot consent even to the unsealing, much less insist upon it. That is why I chose a woman who died for my example rather than one who is divorced.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:24 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If you find a way to "opt out" of this proxy baptism, please post it. The last I heard, the Mormon Church does not care if you want them to baptize you or not. They will do it anyway. When this came up a number of years ago, there were quite a few people that were quite adamant that they do not want it done on their behalf, but the LDS does not have a "Do Not Baptize" list.
Actually they do! Recently (in the last five years anyways) the LDS have been mindful of the ancestry rules. Apparently they were randomly baptizing holocaust victims and celebrities which didn't bode well from a media stance.
I have a bit of respect for Katz ...the responses were intelligent ,level minded and mostly to clarify for some of us who have limited knowledge of this faith and doctrines. By no means has it enticed or enthralled my spirit to join. It did though clear up some antiquated ideas I had of this cloistered faith. Where I had less then .005% understanding of this faith/practice....now it's 1% ...considering the double entendre' terminology. .

Old 02-12-2019, 02:56 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Actually they do! Recently (in the last five years anyways) the LDS have been mindful of the ancestry rules. Apparently they were randomly baptizing holocaust victims and celebrities which didn't bode well from a media stance.
I have a bit of respect for Katz ...the responses were intelligent ,level minded and mostly to clarify for some of us who have limited knowledge of this faith and doctrines. By no means has it enticed or enthralled my spirit to join. It did though clear up some antiquated ideas I had of this cloistered faith. Where I had less then .005% understanding of this faith/practice....now it's 1% ...considering the double entendre' terminology. .
Hi, Nov3. The terminology was not intended to be confusing, but if it was, I'd be happy to try to clarify it for you. Who knows, your 1% understanding might actually go up to 1.765%.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,109 times
I don't know how you still do it Katz after all these years......I tired of talking in circles and banging my head against the wall years ago on here,lol.

I was raised a Methodist,went to a fundamentalist Baptist school for years when I was young and have been a 'not very good Mormon' for a little over ten years.

For some reason I've never felt the urge or need to come on here and argue with Methodists or Baptists about what their religion got wrong or lecture their members about 'things they don't understand' about their own churches doctrine despite having a background in both.I certainly wouldn't do so to catholics,buddists ,JWs,sikhs,lutherans,etc either having never been one....but to each his own.

I can say,as someone who usually doesn't sleep in on Sundays,that most Mormons aren't as obsessed with a lot of this stuff as people outside the church think we are.Most people in my ward have 2-3 children,some more and some have only one.If people in the church these days aren't pressed about not having a bunch of children I don't know why some outside the church are worried about it.A lot of the stuff regarding eternal progression,exhaltation,etc isn't something we spend every day stressing out about.I sure don't.Some on here outside the church want to argue that only the 'celestial kingdom' would be equal to say the Baptist version of 'heaven' but I don't see it that way.If you do that's your issue.For the record if members of the Baltimore Church of Voodoo and Imported Beer or any other church want to baptize me by proxy into their church after I die,or before for that matter go for it...I don't care...what can it hurt?

I did research LDS history,theology,and doctrine pretty thoroughly before I ever walked thru the door but if those of you on a mission to 'save the world from Mormonism' think you understand it better than me keep thinking that,I don't care.

Katz,in my opinion,is usually right on point on what the church teachings about doctrine are.If people would prefer to listen to those who have never darkened the door of our meetinghouse rather than those of us who have spent 8-12 hours a week for years in one....well that's on them.

Yes the LDS church has some beliefs that are a bit different.I don't really find them THAT different but that's my opinion.In the end all any of us have are beliefs.....none of us really KNOW anything in this life about what,if anything,comes next.

Keep up the good work Katz,I don't have the patience for it and you do a better job than me anyway.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:32 PM

10,762 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I don't know how you still do it Katz after all these years......I tired of talking in circles and banging my head against the wall years ago on here,lol.

I was raised a Methodist,went to a fundamentalist Baptist school for years when I was young and have been a 'not very good Mormon' for a little over ten years.

For some reason I've never felt the urge or need to come on here and argue with Methodists or Baptists about what their religion got wrong or lecture their members about 'things they don't understand' about their own churches doctrine despite having a background in both.I certainly wouldn't do so to catholics,buddists ,JWs,sikhs,lutherans,etc either having never been one....but to each his own.

I can say,as someone who usually doesn't sleep in on Sundays,that most Mormons aren't as obsessed with a lot of this stuff as people outside the church think we are.Most people in my ward have 2-3 children,some more and some have only one.If people in the church these days aren't pressed about not having a bunch of children I don't know why some outside the church are worried about it.A lot of the stuff regarding eternal progression,exhaltation,etc isn't something we spend every day stressing out about.I sure don't.Some on here outside the church want to argue that only the 'celestial kingdom' would be equal to say the Baptist version of 'heaven' but I don't see it that way.If you do that's your issue.For the record if members of the Baltimore Church of Voodoo and Imported Beer or any other church want to baptize me by proxy into their church after I die,or before for that matter go for it...I don't care...what can it hurt?

I did research LDS history,theology,and doctrine pretty thoroughly before I ever walked thru the door but if those of you on a mission to 'save the world from Mormonism' think you understand it better than me keep thinking that,I don't care.

Katz,in my opinion,is usually right on point on what the church teachings about doctrine are.If people would prefer to listen to those who have never darkened the door of our meetinghouse rather than those of us who have spent 8-12 hours a week for years in one....well that's on them.

Yes the LDS church has some beliefs that are a bit different.I don't really find them THAT different but that's my opinion.In the end all any of us have are beliefs.....none of us really KNOW anything in this life about what,if anything,comes next.

Keep up the good work Katz,I don't have the patience for it and you do a better job than me anyway.
I have 25 years as an active, dedicated Mormon. You won’t be able to easily discredit me.

If you disagree with anything that I have posted, or if you believe that anything I have posted is inaccurate, then by all means, point out what you believe the inaccuracies are, and we can discuss them.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:17 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I have 25 years as an active, dedicated Mormon. You won’t be able to easily discredit me.

I won't even bother to attempt to discredit you.You have already,repeatedly,stated that "all of your posts are 100% true and accurate".I have found in life there is little to be gained by attempting to 'discuss' anything with those who see everything in terms of black and white and have zero doubt about their absolute infallibility on any given issue.

I imagine Katz can be wrong,i'm sure I can be wrong...i'm also sure YOU can be wrong,despite your having 9.5 additional years on me as an active,dedicated Mormon..Different people in the history of the church have interpreted different things different ways.Everything isn't as cut and dried or historically consistent as you're making it out to be.Thats true in all other churches too.

Religion is all theoretical anyway.No one KNOWS what happens after we die.If we just turn to dust then Matthew,Mark,Luke,John,Paul,Jesus,Joseph Smith,Katz,IMBOBBBB,TaxPHD,and a whole lot of other people will ALL be wrong.

Entry into the 'Celestial Kingdom',if there really is one,isn't going to be determined by what Katz,IMBOBBBB,TaxPHD,or Jencam believe so I'm not going to work myself into a lather trying to convince anyone on a webforum that they are wrong and I am incapable of being wrong.

I don't believe there will be any defacto 'church' in the afterlife.If all is revealed after death the debate will all be over.Some people can then gloat and yell "told you sooooooo!!!" like 10 year olds but their point will likely be moot.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:34 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I don't believe there will be any defacto 'church' in the afterlife.If all is revealed after death the debate will all be over.Some people can then gloat and yell "told you sooooooo!!!" like 10 year olds but their point will likely be moot.
I'm with you on that. I don't see there being Mormons and Catholics and Methodists and Lutherans, not to mention Jews and Muslims and Hindus. There will be only "truth," and nobody is going to be trying to put any other label on it. If I don't know what truth is now but am permitted to learn what it is in the afterlife, I'll jump at the chance. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't. I mean, isn't that what it's really all about?

Old 02-17-2019, 07:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm with you on that. I don't see there being Mormons and Catholics and Methodists and Lutherans, not to mention Jews and Muslims and Hindus. There will be only "truth," and nobody is going to be trying to put any other label on it. If I don't know what truth is now but am permitted to learn what it is in the afterlife, I'll jump at the chance. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't. I mean, isn't that what it's really all about?
I see it as all about hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality