Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No they are not
Those who profess to follow Christ or the prophets but willfully reject the gospel, the testimony of Jesus, the prophets, and the everlasting covenant will inherit the telestial kingdom

And what is the everlasting covenant?

This covenant, often referred to by the Lord as the “new and everlasting covenant,” encompasses the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, including all ordinances and covenants necessary for the salvation of mankind.

These ordinances are only in existence in the LDS teachings.

The inhabitants of the telestial kingdom will suffer the wrath of God and be cast into hell until the end of the Millennium

So yes, those who do not accept the LDS gospel, according to LDS teachings, will be cast into Hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 09:31 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I'd be careful going down that road.

I'm not a christian, but as an atheist, I can guarantee you I know the bible better than the vast majority of them. I also studied comparative religions at university. Don't dismiss someone else's understanding just because they are not a member of a sect, whether that be christian, mormon, hindu or pagan of some sort.
I'm not dismissing knowledge. I'm dismissing tone.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:40 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Jencam, as of right now, you are on ignore. Pat yourself on the back. You're the only person I've put on ignore in my ten years on this forum. It takes a really special person to make the grade. Congratulations.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes. Breeding irresponsibly doesn't equate children with being poop.
I see figurative language is lost on you.

Read this definition before commenting again:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/figure-of-speech

Old 02-09-2019, 11:11 PM

10,763 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
Since you evidently did not read jencam's and my conversation very carefully, she said:

And I responded:

My point was that if we actually believed what jencam said we believe, proxy work for the dead would be essentially useless as one would have to have been baptized LDS during his/her life. We believe that these ordinances, if done posthumously, have the same effect as if they had been done when the individual was alive -- provided, of course, that he/she actually accepts the work once it has been done.
Oh yes, I read it. Your response in no way addresses the issue.

Again, it is VERY clear that Mormon Doctrine teaches that achieving the Celestial Kingdom (Mormon Heaven) is conditioned upon EITHER Being Mormon and doing Mormon saving ordnance’s while one is alive, or accepting Mormonism and Mormon Saving ordnance’s performed vicariously on ones behalf after one dies.

If what I have described previously ISNT correct, please provide the correct analysis/interpretation of what Mormon doctrine actually says.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Aw, TD, you're just plain nice, aren't you? Actually, since you're not one of my relatives, I'm afraid I can't do that. But I do appreciate your kind words.
That’s not the truth.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-10-2019 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: Read the rules. Don't use reed text.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
The correct LDS terminology for any kind of eternal life outside the Celestial Kingdom is "immortality."
That is not correct. There is a SIGIFICANT difference between “Eternal life” and “living for eternity” or “immortality.” There is no “Eternal Life” outside of the Celestial kingdom.

“Eternal life” outside of the Celestial Kingdom doesn’t exist. It isn’t a “Thing.” Moderator cut: sentence removed

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-10-2019 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary personal remark

Old 02-09-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Someone may have use of your car after you die. It's not the same thing at all.

Let's say I had a couple of extra tickets to a concert, and the artist was somebody I really, really, really liked. You'd told me before that you don't care for that artist, but because I have these extra tickets and feel very strongly that you'd enjoy the concert if you decided to change your mind, I stick them in an envelope and mail them to you. I then put your name on a list of people who have received free tickets, just in case another of your friends decides to send you a couple. That way he knows not to send them since you can obviously only use one set of tickets. When you get them, you can either throw them away or decide to go to the concert after all. Either way, you don't have to tell me what you've done and I'll probably never know. It was, after all, just an offer made to be nice. Regardless of what anyone has to say about the ethics of posthumous baptisms by proxy, this is essentially how we Mormons look at it.
What you have described is in NO WAY what Mormons actually do. A Mormon, with the 60+ years of experience that you claim, would know this.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:43 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I see figurative language is lost on you.

Read this definition before commenting again:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/figure-of-speech
Figures of speech can be despicable.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:

<SNIP>

Mormons sometimes do use the words interchangeably, particularly in conversations among themselves, with the unspoken assumption that they are referring to Exaltation in the Celestial Kingdom and not just the Celestial Kingdom itself. It's kind of like you'll hear a lot of Christians use the terms "spirit" and "soul" interchangeably. But when pressed, they will acknowledge that there is a difference between them.

<<snip>>
There is NO SIMILARITY beteeen a Christain discussing the spirit and the soul, and a Mormon acheiving “exaltation.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality