Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 10:59 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I understood it perfectly. The issue is you are incorrect. You were implying that I was saying there is something wrong with that belief. When in fact all I was doing was explaining it placing no negative or positive value on it.
Get over your ego and stop thinking that you know what another poster meant better than the poster himself. This is another example of where you lose all sense when talking about Mormonism. Get a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I'll go ahead and lock this version of your post in before you edit it again. The addition of the 'third grader' remark is such a gem. No matter how civil I am you insist on being insulting.

I am doing no such thing. Googling and choosing parts that 'suit me'. I began learning about Mormonism in High school when I dated a Mormon.
1. Katzpur is hardly one of insulting posters. I see him as a gentle soul that I often disagree with.
2. You're not civil. You dictate what others' posts mean.
3. Wow...now that's a level of true expertise -- dating someone who's Mormon.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:15 PM

10,762 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You seem to be unable to distinguish between actual Church doctrine and popular opinion.

I'm glad your dad was open-minded and didn't force you to attend church. My son stopped attending at age 15, with my husband's and my permission.

There are actually a lot of positive things about Mormonism, along with some negative things. Church services, by the way, have never been four hours long, although I would agree that they sometimes seem like it. They have now been cut from three hours to two hours, and in case anybody out there may be imagining a three-hour worship service, the actual worship service (Sacrament Meeting) used to be 70 minutes long. There were also two shorter (50 minutes and 40 minutes) classroom study sessions.
Everything mentioned by the OP was actively taught as doctrine in the Mormon church.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
And of course everything you read on the internet is true, huh? And I suspect that's where you came up with most of your information about Mormonism. So where do you get your information on other topics of interest -- from the National Enquirer? You clearly must not consider me a legitimate source of information on Mormonism, even though I've given neither you nor anyone else any reason to doubt either my knowledge or honestly. You want to ask me some questions? Go ahead. Unfortunately, I must warn you that the truth isn't quite as scandalous as the lies.
Everything in Thoreau424‘s post has been taught as doctrine in the Mormon church.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Well, you've misunderstood it, and that's all I'm going to say. I'm tired of you trying to tell me I don't understand my own religion. If what you are saying is true, then the only people who have any hope of going to the Celestial Kingdom are Mormons, and that is simply not what we believe.
Who is able to go to the Celestial kingdom without a Mormon baptism? Who is able to go to the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom without a Mormon temple endowment?

Old 02-09-2019, 01:04 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Katzpur is hardly one of insulting posters. I see him as a gentle soul that I often disagree with.
Katz is a she. And I said I STARTED reading about Mormonism when I was a teen. I do not just 'google' stuff to find 'what suits me' as was stated. Google didn't exist then. But there were books. Lots and lots of books. It became a subject of interest to me and I have continued to read about it since.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Katz is a she. And I said I STARTED reading about Mormonism when I was a teen. I do not just 'google' stuff to find 'what suits me' as was stated. Google didn't exist then. But there were books. Lots and lots of books. It became a subject of interest to me and I have continued to read about it since.
Which goes back to my stating earlier that -- since you're not a Mormon -- you seem rather obsessed about the topic. Thus some pretty virulent posts in the past.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Which goes back to my stating earlier that -- since you're not a Mormon -- you seem rather obsessed about the topic. Thus some pretty virulent posts in the past.
I am not the topic of the thread. People posting on topic are not obsessed. They are interested in the topic! . You've had your say regarding your interpretation of prior posts in another thread, so let's now move on.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:35 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
Since I am not a Mormon, but lived around and worked with them for about 15 years, my impression of them is very positive. Moreover, I have read several history books about the religion, and have come away from that believing that Joseph Smith was the greatest of all the American profits. Far from perfect, he invented a lasting religion, whose fundamental beliefs and litany have not changed much. He was also intuitively smart enough to leave room for future changes, while holding to the core beliefs that he developed. This has allowed the church to change slowly on its treatment of women and people of color. There is much to admire about his invention.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 AM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
FYI, Katzpur is a she.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality