Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 06:44 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
While I strongly question a number of Mormon beliefs, jencam seems obsessed with being anti-Mormon.

I'll say this: While there are things in the Mormon religion which make no sense to me (and I say the same thing about christianity and even my own Buddhism), every Mormon person I've ever met (and that's quite a few) has been a very nice person. Y'all must be doing something right.
Thanks. I don't know that there are any more "nice" Mormons than nice people of any other religion, but I do think most of us try. Speaking personally, I know that I've always been really hot-tempered. I get mad fast (but fortunately, I also get over it fast). I've always admired people who can handle malicious, hateful comments without flying off the handle. That's something I'll probably still be working on till the day I die, but I do feel like I'm slowly but surely improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah? How come it's only the anti-Mormon stuff you come across that you find so "interesting"? There's plenty of interesting stuff about the Church online that's not negative, but when you're looking for dirt, dirt is what you're going to find. At least own what you are, jencam.
I did not feel that the article was negative towards Mormons. It still remains interesting to me.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
While I strongly question a number of Mormon beliefs, jencam seems obsessed with being anti-Mormon.

I'll say this: While there are things in the Mormon religion which make no sense to me (and I say the same thing about christianity and even my own Buddhism), every Mormon person I've ever met (and that's quite a few) has been a very nice person. Y'all must be doing something right.
LOL. Having an interest in a fascinating topic does not equal an obsession. These rude statements are an attempt to make me feel bad and stop posting in these topics. What does 'they are very nice people' have to do with disagreeing on theology and certain practices that I find offensive? I feel that is again an attempt to make me feel bad for disagreeing on THEOLOGY and the practices of SOME Mormons, that are backed up by Doctrine.

I would never broad-bush Mormons - so many of them literally do not even know a lot of the stuff. In another thread I posted an article about a women devastated by not being able to find a partner,which meant she couldn't reach the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom.

She was told it would all work out. She was like how? You all are teaching me it's TOTALLY ESSENTIAL. No one told her 'hey listen, you will get sealed after death to AT LEAST one Priesthood holder, no worries'. So she was left dangling. Maybe they don't tell parishioners that because they might be like 'what? That sounds insane. What am I doing here?' LOL.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:07 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
LOL. Having an interest in a fascinating topic does not equal an obsession. These rude statements are an attempt to make me feel bad and stop posting in these topics. What does 'they are very nice people' have to do with disagreeing on theology and certain practices that I find offensive? I feel that is again an attempt to make me feel bad for disagreeing on THEOLOGY and the practices of SOME Mormons, that are backed up by Doctrine.

I would never broad-bush Mormons - so many of them literally do not even know a lot of the stuff. In another thread I posted an article about a women devastated by not being able to find a partner,which meant she couldn't reach the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom.

She was told it would all work out. She was like how? You all are teaching me it's TOTALLY ESSENTIAL. No one told her 'hey listen, you will get sealed after death to AT LEAST one Priesthood holder, no worries'. So she was left dangling. Maybe they don't tell parishioners that because they might be like 'what? That sounds insane. What am I doing here?' LOL.
I'm just telling you what my impression is related to your posts about Mormonism. It's an opinion based on several other threads back a while. They're...harsh...to put it politely.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us."

- Robbie Burns

Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us."

- Robbie Burns
Oh, I love Robert Burns!!!! And I love that poem, among others. How true it is!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Here's what's funny: You talk about the many Mormons who "literally do not even know a lot of the stuff." And then you proceed to give an example, followed by your own personal interpretation of what Mormon doctrine actually is. And, of course, you get it wrong. Please don't ask me to elaborate. I already did that the last time you and I discussed this subject. Apparently you're just a slow learner. I'm sorry about that, but I don't have time to go over it again.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Here's what's funny: You talk about the many Mormons who "literally do not even know a lot of the stuff." And then you proceed to give an example, followed by your own personal interpretation of what Mormon doctrine actually is. And, of course, you get it wrong. Please don't ask me to elaborate. I already did that the last time you and I discussed this subject. Apparently you're just a slow learner. I'm sorry about that, but I don't have time to go over it again.
I am not wrong.
Quote:
Couples who joined the Church after their marriage, or did not marry in the temple originally for other reasons, still have the opportunity to be sealed together in the temple later. Parents can have their children sealed to them at that time. These sealing ordinances can also be performed vicariously for the dead, thus binding families together across generations.
https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/sealing

Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I'm confused as to why you would say this is untrue. If it were not, then people who die unsealed can never reach the highest levels of the Celestial Kingdom, which is totally unfair.

Just like Baptisms for the dead are done, so are sealings since they are essential for Mormons. Well, you guys think they are essential for everyone, which is why I will be Baptized and sealed after my death by someone at some point.

I'm thinking my ex. when asked in the afterlife (if he gets a choice) will say 'cool'. His current wife, maybe not so much

If everyone has a choice in the afterlife, and he said no, that would not be fair to me under your beliefs, so someone else would have to agree. It's a little more complicated then the way you present things, imo.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:46 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
It would of course be ideal if individuals could have a say in LDS Baptism, but the faith's practice of posthumous Baptizing of course would deny them the chance, such as it is.

A question for Katz (or anyone who feels qualified to answer) would be if one is Baptized posthumously, are they now associated with the "pure unadulterated essence" of what the religion believes? Or is there also a binding/association with LDS history, earthly doings of LDS members, etc? If the latter, it might be more offensive to an individual given how one may feel about the credibility of Joseph Smith's experience in founding the religion, ancient races of people in upstate New York, polygamy, the "Mountain Meadows Massacre", etc.

And yes, in defense of LDS earthly doings, they are likely no more (and may be considerably less) egregious than many other religions. And it, IMO, be unfair to single them out in a hostile manner beyond academic/informational purposes if one is not going to do the same with other religions.

A rhetorical observation of mine (answer or counter only if you wish) would be what if LDS teachings and concept of the afterlife is errant, and one is now standing at the Pearly Gates being unknowingly Baptized LDS? The following for purposes lighthearted humor only, no disrespect intended...

Saint Peter: I'm sorry, I can't let you in, you are LDS...

Person: What?? I'm not LDS!! What are you talking about...

Saint Peter: I have the Baptismal record right here, there's your name...

Person: NO WAY, I never consented to this, I was NEVER Baptized...

Saint Peter: Sorry, you'll have to take that up with them, but I can't let you in...

Person: You'll be hearing from my Lawyer!!...

Saint Peter: Good luck finding one up here!!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality