Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:09 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Here's a thought though:
Even with the best genealogist at your disposal, you cannot possibly know who all your ancestors were throughout history.
You will have hundreds of thousands of ancestors. If a Baptism, posthumous or otherwise is required to receive all the blessings of god, there are an awful lot of dead souls missing out through no fault of their own and despite all your best efforts.

I'm sure you have thought about all of this, but throwing it out there.
Yeah, I have thought about it, and have concluded that it's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over. Since I believe God to be just, I just have to assume that He's got it covered, even if I can't conceive of how, and that it will all work out in the end. Not a very satisfying answer, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:15 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

Here's a thought though:
Even with the best genealogist at your disposal, you cannot possibly know who all your ancestors were throughout history.
You will have hundreds of thousands of ancestors. If a Baptism, posthumous or otherwise is required to receive all the blessings of god, there are an awful lot of dead person's souls missing out through no fault of their own and despite all your best efforts.

On the plus side, the LDS Church was known for its extensive genealogical records since long before the Internet because of this practice, and now they've brought us Ancestry.com. One of my sisters is an addict.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:19 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, I have thought about it, and have concluded that it's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over. Since I believe God to be just, I just have to assume that He's got it covered, even if I can't conceive of how, and that it will all work out in the end. Not a very satisfying answer, I know.

The obvious answer would seem to be that he has got everybody covered anyway, regardless of whether you perform the baptism or not, but I appreciate the time you put into this thread.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
If you had read Katzpur's explanation, as I understand it, they do not believe they are forcing anything on a persons soul.
According to Katzpur, if I read correctly:

The soul is free to reject the baptism.
It's wrong. It's immoral.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's wrong. It's immoral.

In your eyes. In Katspur's eyes they are doing something nice.

What's wrong or immoral is all relative depending on your perspective.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
With that being the case, there is no need for human proxies to do this.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

Here's a thought though:
You will have hundreds of thousands of ancestors. If a Baptism, posthumous or otherwise is required to receive all the blessings of god, there are an awful lot of dead person's souls missing out through no fault of their own and despite all your best efforts.

The Mormons are the best genealogists. Each individual does not need to do the work on their own. The church has done it and eternally keeps doing more and more. The Mormons . Genealogy and the Mormon Archives | PBS

Quote:
Original records -- about 2.4 million rolls of microfilm containing 2 billion names that have been traced -- are locked away behind 14-ton doors in the Granite Mountain Records Vault, a climate-controlled repository designed to survive a nuclear impact that is built into the Wasatch mountain range, about 20 miles southeast of Salt Lake City.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The Mormons are the best genealogists. Each individual does not need to do the work on their own. The church has done it and eternally keeps doing more and more. The Mormons . Genealogy and the Mormon Archives | PBS

I'm not disputing Mormon's skill at genealogy but nobody can trace their ancestors back 200,000 years.

With the best will in the world, it can be pretty tough work tracing your genealogy back even beyond the 1800's. I know because I have done it.

Even then, not every ancestor will be recorded as there were high infant morality rates until relatively recently. Not every birth and death would have been recorded.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:36 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
With that being the case, there is no need for human proxies to do this.
I stated what I assume to be the case. I don't believe God will withhold any blessings from any individual due to something that was beyond that person's control. On the other hand, since I believe He has given us the mandate to do this work, that's reason enough for me to support it.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I stated what I assume to be the case. I don't believe God will withhold any blessings from any individual due to something that was beyond that person's control. On the other hand, since I believe He has given us the mandate to do this work, that's reason enough for me to support it.
Where is the mandate to Baptize the dead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality