Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Have the dead consented to be baptized?

Don't give me a long answer. A yes or no will be fine.

Did Elvis Presley consent to it?
Adolph Hitler?
Gandhi?
Joan Of Arc?

Yes or no with their consent?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:05 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
Have the dead consented to be baptized?

Don't give me a long answer. A yes or no will be fine.

Did Elvis Presley consent to it?
Adolph Hitler?
Gandhi?
Joan Of Arc?

Yes or no with their consent?

Do you mean before or after they died?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:19 AM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Please read it again. I said "the dead".

Old 02-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:

So what's the point of the question?

They're dead.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, perhaps I misunderstood you then. I thought Cruithne's question was a legitimate one, but you appear to be saying that you meant "after they died." In that case, my original answer probably should not have been "no." It could not have been "yes" either, since the word "consent" implies that permission is asked before an action is taken. I won't elaborate, though, since you've asked me not to.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:32 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you will reread my post, I said nothing about it being A-OK to have Holocaust victims baptized. I have a personal policy of not just posting links in response to questions, because I think that most of the time, doing so is just an easy way out. I generally prefer to use my own words in answering people's questions. I'm going to make an exception here, because I think that this article will answer your question better than I can: Recent Mormon baptisms for Holocaust victims questioned. If, once you have read it, you still have questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.
A number of question come up.

First of all, why did Mormon's even think it was OK in the first place to baptize victims of the Holocaust? Why are there repeated transgressions of the agreement not to continue the practice.

What right does the Mormon church have to posthumously baptize ANY person of another religion, or no religion at all. It is none of their business, and to excuse it because it "is our belief" is the most egregious disrespect to the dead person, their family, and their belief. It's like the Southern slave owners who found passages in the bible to justify slave ownership. And yes, the bible, both the old and the new testament, endorses slavery. It's wrong, and so is posthumously baptizing anyone. It's just wrong, no matter what the LDS belief is.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Well, perhaps I misunderstood you then. I thought Cruithne's question was a legitimate one, but you appear to be saying that you meant "after they died." In that case, my original answer probably should not have been "no." It could not have been "yes" either, since the word "consent" implies that permission is asked before an action is taken. I won't elaborate, though, since you've asked me not to.

To be honest the question makes no sense whichever way you look at it.

1. Of course you cannot ask a person's consent after they are dead. - Unless of course you think you can somehow communicate with the dead?

2. Assuming these people were asked their consent to be baptized once they are dead (while they were still alive), how would you, Katzpur even know?

Is Katzpur the font of all knowledge of what everyone has been asked throughout history?

Doesn't make any sense.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
A number of question come up.

First of all, why did Mormon's even think it was OK in the first place to baptize victims of the Holocaust? Why are there repeated transgressions of the agreement not to continue the practice.

What right does the Mormon church have to posthumously baptize ANY person of another religion, or no religion at all. It is none of their business, and to excuse it because it "is our belief" is the most egregious disrespect to the dead person, their family, and their belief. It's like the Southern slave owners who found passages in the bible to justify slave ownership. And yes, the bible, both the old and the new testament, endorses slavery. It's wrong, and so is posthumously baptizing anyone. It's just wrong, no matter what the LDS belief is.
You've asked me a question, but then you've strongly implied that it's not going to matter to you in the slightest what my answer is because you've already decided that what we're doing is "wrong." If you think I might be able to persuade you to see this issue from another perspective, I'd be happy to try to explain the reasoning behind the practice. If it's just going to be a waste of my time, though, I'll pass.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
You've asked me a question, but then you've strongly implied that it's not going to matter to you in the slightest what my answer is because you've already decided that what we're doing is "wrong." If you think I might be able to persuade you to see this issue from another perspective, I'd be happy to try to explain the reasoning behind the practice. If it's just going to be a waste of my time, though, I'll pass.

I'd be interested to understand the reasoning behind the practice Katzpur, if you care to share.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
To be honest the question makes no sense whichever way you look at it.

1. Of course you cannot ask a person's consent after they are dead. - Unless of course you think you can somehow communicate with the dead?
I agree. But unlike you (I think), I believe human beings have an eternal spirit which continues to exist as a fully self-aware being after death. So while it would be impossible for the spirit of someone who had died to "consent" (i.e. to give his consent to the living) to a baptism prior to it taking place, I believe it would be entirely possible for that spirit to "approve" of the baptism after it took place. Of course, the person who had stood as proxy for the deceased would have no way of knowing that.

Quote:
2. Assuming these people were asked their consent to be baptized once they are dead (while they were still alive), how would you, Katzpur even know?
Obviously, I wouldn't.

Quote:
Is Katzpur the font of all knowledge of what everyone has been asked throughout history?
Not that she knows of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality