Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:59 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'm not disputing Mormon's skill at genealogy but nobody can trace their ancestors back 200,000 years.

With the best will in the world, it can be pretty tough work tracing your genealogy back even beyond the 1800's. I know because I have done it.
Actually, the genealogy on my mother's side has been traced back to William the Conqueror (1066 A.D.)

Quote:
Even then, not every ancestor will be recorded as there were high infant morality rates until relatively recently. Not every birth and death would have been recorded.
This is absolutely the case. I think there are times when God asks us to do what we're able to do more for our own benefit than for anybody else's. We believe that all human beings everywhere are children of the same God and that it is God's desire that we all be united as part of His family. The interest in genealogy has grown tremendously during the past few years. We see this as being a fulfillment of Malachi's prophesy that "he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers." (Malachi 4:5-6) In other words, when our hearts are turned to our fathers (i.e. our ancestors), we will want to do everything we can to make sure they have received all of the ordinances necessary to salvation.

The entire eleventh chapter of Hebrews speaks of various individuals from Old Testament times who lived exemplary lives and accomplished great things through their faith, but who never actually received their promised inheritance, or the promise of exaltation and eternal life. Verses 39-and 40 verses state:

"These also, one and all, are commemorated for their faith; and yet they did not enter upon the promised inheritance, because, with us in mind, God had made a better plan, that only in company with us they should reach their perfection." Our take on these verses is that it is though our work on behalf of the dead in temples throughout the world that we are able to partner with our Father in Heaven in helping those who died to do something they can no longer do for themselves. Regardless of what phetaroi may believe, for us it is a labor of love and definitely not of coercion. People do grow spiritually when they are serving others, and that's what the practice is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Where is the mandate to Baptize the dead?
Doctrine and Covenants Section 128.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-05-2019 at 06:27 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'm not disputing Mormon's skill at genealogy but nobody can trace their ancestors back 200,000 years.

With the best will in the world, it can be pretty tough work tracing your genealogy back even beyond the 1800's. I know because I have done it.

Even then, not every ancestor will be recorded as there were high infant morality rates until relatively recently. Not every birth and death would have been recorded.
You seriously underestimate their obsession with this.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you. I still think it's wrong and offensive to people of other faiths. I know, they can 'reject it' supposedly. On the other side.

But the human proxy on this side has no way to know that and they put the person down in the records as being Baptized and add them to the roles of Mormons.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I still think it's wrong and offensive to people of other faiths. I know, they can 'reject it' supposedly. On the other side.
That's your prerogative. I'm wondering why you would use the qualifier "supposedly," though. Do you seriously believe for one minute that God is going to force anyone to be a Mormon against his will? You must think we have more control over other people's eternal destinies than He does.

Quote:
But the human proxy on this side has no way to know that and they put the person down in the records as being Baptized and add them to the roles of Mormons.
(I'm assuming you mean "rolls" and not "roles.") The baptism is recorded as having been done, simply to avoid having it done multiple times by multiple descendants, but the individual is never recorded on the membership rolls of the Church.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-05-2019 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
You seriously underestimate their obsession with this.
Actually, I think you overestimate it.

Obsession: an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.
Synonyms: fixation, mania, compulsion, addiction, fetish, craze, complex, neurosis.
Example: "Jencam almost never posts in the Religion or Spirituality forum except when there is a thread about Mormonism, in which case she seems to have an obsession with making her opinions known."

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-05-2019 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Baptism of the dead, secret handshakes, secret oaths, secret rites, special holy "underwear" that they must wear most of the time, Jesus appearing in America, lost civilizations in America with no trace, buried golden plates that crazy man Joseph Smith supposedly translated, weird cosmic beliefs (populating planets with spirit children, the Planet Kolab) and tons of other weird shyt. Keeping things secret is the biggest key of all.
Polygamy in the Temple.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
I just wanted to weigh in here briefly and give you props for single handedly "holding down the fort" and defending/defining LDS practices and beliefs against a small Army Katzpur! Can't rep you yet without spreading reps around first...

Personally, I have to say there are bigger fish to fry on the LDS front over issues pointed out here. They simply have NO rhythm and cannot even put together a reasonable choreographed routine to "Disco Inferno".

I won't post the vid here, but if you go to Youtube and type in "Alpine 11th Ward Disco Inferno Dance" it will be your first return...

I don't think you are far from Alpine Katz, if you could prop up a "dummy" or "scarecrow" sentry to keep the charge temporarily at bay here, and go over an help them out it would be a kind service...

Old 02-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I just wanted to weigh in here briefly and give you props for single handedly "holding down the fort" and defending/defining LDS practices and beliefs against a small Army Katzpur! Can't rep you yet without spreading reps around first...
Thanks for the kind words, ShouldIMove. I can't say I haven't had plenty of practice.

Quote:
Personally, I have to say there are bigger fish to fry on the LDS front over issues pointed out here. They simply have NO rhythm and cannot even put together a reasonable choreographed routine to "Disco Inferno".

I won't post the vid here, but if you go to Youtube and type in "Alpine 11th Ward Disco Inferno Dance" it will be your first return...

I don't think you are far from Alpine Katz, if you could prop up a "dummy" or "scarecrow" sentry to keep the charge temporarily at bay here, and go over an help them out it would be a kind service...
Oh dear!
That was pathetic! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! On the other hand, some of us (not me, mind you) are pretty good dancers.
This One's for YOU!

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-06-2019 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And you wonder why the Baptists think you guys are going to hell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality