Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How is that worse than much in the "regular" christian bible?
There is only one Christian Bible. There is no 'regular' Bible and a 'Mormon Bible'. There is nothing in the Bible about spirits that need to be born to have an earthy experience to continue to progress eternally to Godhood. There is nothing that says it is a duty to provide the way for these spirits to be able to do this by having as many children as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 05:54 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
(Doctrines of Salvation 2:87)

A few pages later the punishment is explained as being damned. That is a heavy thing to shake off.
I'm sure you realize, although you probably don't give a damn, that "Doctrines of Salvation" is not and never has been a canonical source of LDS doctrine. I don't know of a single LDS person, and I can assure you that I know thousands more Mormons than you do, who is trying to shake off any fears of damnation over not having had a large family.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-08-2019 at 06:25 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
There is only one Christian Bible. There is no 'regular' Bible and a 'Mormon Bible'. There is nothing in the Bible about spirits that need to be born to have an earthy experience to continue to progress eternally to Godhood. There is nothing that says it is a duty to provide the way for these spirits to be able to do this by having as many children as possible.
And there is nothing in the Bible that states that all truth is found in the Bible either.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-08-2019 at 06:18 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 06:09 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Wow. This is most certainly a strange comparison. From what I understand, when you get baptized posthumously you don't know it and neither does anybody else besides the Mormons who do the baptizing. Don't see a lot of harm there.

OTOH, I wonder how many slaves never knew they were slaves as they were enduring slavery.
Yeah, I mean whose to say in the age of the internet you might have some unknown or little known religion out there somewhere that looks up death records of everybody in the world and does some sort of ceremony/ritual for those people who have passed on and you would never know about it! Don't really see any harm there either.

The Mormons are good people, maybe just a little misunderstood.

Lets take to a totally different extreme and say there's some Satanic cult/devil worshiping group (if you believe in Satan) out there and they do some sort of Satanic ritual for every person who has died in the world hoping that that person's soul (if you believe in such a thing) goes to H-E-double hockey sticks (if you believe in such a place).

And there's this huge galactic battle in the cosmos between the Mormon's baptisms and the Satanic cult's ceremonies over the same dead person. You just never know!

Old 02-08-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The Church says it cannot stem the tide of dead baptized in its own temples.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...18416820070204
I missed where it said what you have put in bold-face type. Or was that just you trying to paraphrase something that the article actually said?

Old 02-08-2019, 06:41 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
St. Peter: Oh yeah, I see. You were baptized by proxy by your great-great-great granddaughter, but you chose to reject the baptism. Well, good for you! Welcome to Heaven, my friend.
So even if you are baptized by proxy posthumously, you can still reject the baptism and be admitted to Heaven. Would it be the same or a different Heaven over accepting the baptism? I'll continue the format of the humor dialogue merely for clarity here.

Person: I reject the Baptism
St. Peter: Duly noted! Come on in...

Person: I accept the Baptism
St. Peter: OK, entrance to LDS Heaven is two doors down on the left (or some variant of this directive on St. Peter's part)

Old 02-08-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
So even if you are baptized by proxy posthumously, you can still reject the baptism and be admitted to Heaven. Would it be the same or a different Heaven over accepting the baptism? I'll continue the format of the humor dialogue merely for clarity here.

Person: I reject the Baptism
St. Peter: Duly noted! Come on in...

Person: I accept the Baptism
St. Peter: OK, entrance to LDS Heaven is two doors down on the left (or some variant of this directive on St. Peter's part)
Since we believe that baptism by immersion, performed by someone holding the Aaronic priesthood is essential to eternal life in the Celestial Kingdom, a person who does not receive this baptism (either during mortality or later on by accepting a proxy baptism) would likely go to the Terrestrial Kingdom. Once he gets there, though, I can assure you that he's going to find himself in the company of a great many baptized Mormons. My point being that our eventual eternal destiny is dependent upon many, many factors. Baptism is merely one of them, and being a Mormon is certainly no guarantee of anything.

Incidentally, biblical support for the idea of differing degrees of heavenly glory can be found in 1 Corinthians:15. Basically, that entire chapter is dealing with the eventual resurrection of human beings. Verses 40-42 state, "There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead."This is not to say that Joseph Smith just read those verses and decided to build a theology around them. We believe he received this information by revelation and that 1 Corinthians 15:40-42 merely supports our doctrine. Then, too, Matthew 16:27 says, "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works." To us, this implies that greater obedience will result in a greater reward.

One final thought: It is my understanding that to speak of any particular denomination existing in the afterlife really isn't accurate. I believe that once we die, what matters will be whether we accepted "truth" or not, regardless of its source. There's definitely not going to be "a Mormon heaven" and "a Baptist heaven" and a "Catholic heaven." And I have also heard it taught throughout my life that God knows where we will be happiest and that all of the degrees of glory will be wonderful beyond anything we can imagine. At any rate, we believe that...

Those who spend eternity in the Celestial Kingdom will receive a heavenly glory like that of the sun.
Those who spend eternity in the Terrestrial Kingdom will receive a heavenly glory like that of the moon.
Those who spend eternity in the Telestial Kingdom will receive a heavenly glory like that of the stars.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I missed where it said what you have put in bold-face type. Or was that just you trying to paraphrase something that the article actually said?
It was a direct and exact quote:
Quote:
This has outraged Jews and baffled Christians who see it as usurping the memory of their departed relatives. The Church says it cannot stem the tide of dead baptized in its own temples.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:37 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Quote:
Those who spend eternity in the Celestial Kingdom will receive a heavenly glory like that of the sun.
Those who spend eternity in the Terrestrial Kingdom will receive a heavenly glory like that of the moon.
Those who spend eternity in the Telestial Kingdom will receive a heavenly glory like that of the stars.

I hope this helps.
Yes, it makes my understanding much clearer, thank you for the detailed explanation. The more you learn of Religions, the more you realize there are common threads that run between them. God placing a person in one of these Kingdoms is somewhat akin to finding out what your "Aura" would be in Astrology, or possibly having your "Chakra" balanced.

Pagan and Astrology practices often encompass worship of Nature, Sun Cycles (summer/winter solstice), Moon Cycles, etc. Additionally there is a reverence for Nature/Natural Phenomenon such as Aurora Borealis displays, etc.

The Celestial Kingdom with the Sun sounds nice and warm...

Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 PM

I don't see why anyone cannot continue to progress to Exaltation. Proxy sealings are done, which are a necessary component to doing so. Progression continues after death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality