Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2020, 06:43 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
he actually didnt say that. what he said is that theist get to slap atheist too.

there is not clear answer here grab. theist slap atheist and atheist slap theist. They try not not to let us punch each other in the face. yes, it leans a little one way, but its no where near unfair.
If we are all supposedly searching for life's answer before we die, why would anyone need to punch anyone in the face?
It's the ones who think they have it all figured out, who instead taking their ball and going away to enjoy it are dead set on evangelizing their truth; which is sometimes simply nihilism disguised in a gravy.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:52 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
That is not the impression I have received from Transponder. I tried my best to avoid labeling myself an atheist, still don't, but my friends have done it for me. But before my friends did so publicly, Transponder called it and was definitely nice about it What Rafius explains below is exactly the issue I was having - that I don't think a god exists, but would like one to. So what exactly did that make me? (Just for the sake of labeling because I knew I wasn't a Christian)
Like the book suggested ... this is the original post I answered.

For me, the issue is an atheist telling you your line of logic is based on ...

" ... that I don't think a god exists, but would like one to ..."

I was just asking if you believe that is valid how might that skew the process of looking at the reliability of a claim. What does that tell us when we look at the reliability of the claim of an atheist telling you that?

how would I label you?

someone that has some reasonable dislike for religion but doesn't let it define them. thats how I would label you.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:57 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Like the book suggested ... this is the original post I answered.

For me, the issue is an atheist telling you your line of logic is based on ...

" ... that I don't think a god exists, but would like one to ..."

I was just asking if you believe that is valid how might that skew the process of looking at the reliability of a claim. What does that tell us when we look at the reliability of the claim of an atheist telling you that?

how would I label you?

someone that has some reasonable dislike for religion but doesn't let it define them. thats how I would label you.
So if I made a claim that a person was being abusive, I don't need to believe in a god to make that claim. In fact, belief in god is irrelevant on making that claim.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
If we are all supposedly searching for life's answer before we die, why would anyone need to punch anyone in the face?
It's the ones who think they have it all figured out, who instead taking their ball and going away to enjoy it are dead set on evangelizing their truth; which is sometimes simply nihilism disguised in a gravy.
you speaking 1/2 truths again grab.

50%=
yes, militants and fundamentals will use violence.
yes, this sites lets adult children of abuse have an outlet. But I understand that abuse was suffered at the hands of religion.

75%=
thank you admins for dealing with people like me as best you can. you do a good job.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
So if I made a claim that a person was being abusive, I don't need to believe in a god to make that claim. In fact, belief in god is irrelevant on making that claim.
lmao ... you are absolutely amazing ...

yes, you nailed it ...

Old 02-29-2020, 07:07 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
lmao ... you are absolutely amazing ...

yes, you nailed it ...
Thanks, Arach. I am a little confused but thank you.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:08 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
you speaking 1/2 truths again grab.

50%=
yes, militants and fundamentals will use violence.
yes, this sites lets adult children of abuse have an outlet. But I understand that abuse was suffered at the hands of religion.

75%=
thank you admins for dealing with people like me as best you can. you do a good job.
It's not polite to call someone a liar, especially when you do not read post in their entirety before banging away on your keyboard. Your post has nothing to do with what I posted. That is just something you wanted to state.

Have a Day!

Old 02-29-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
It's not polite to call someone a liar, especially when you do not read post in their entirety before banging away on your keyboard. Your post has nothing to do with what I posted. That is just something you wanted to state.

Have a Day!
Yeah, whatever.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:26 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
If we are all supposedly searching for life's answer before we die,....
Not sure that's a valid or universally shared supposition? At least some of us have accepted that life doesn't have an "answer" (or greater meaning, purpose, whatever). Life just is, and it falls to each of us to define and make of it what we will. (ETA: and no, that doesn't mean that our lives are without meaning, purpose or value!)

I have been thinking that this entire thread was miscast from the outset, because atheism merely involves one isolated belief ( or lack thereof), without any other shared or overarching dogma. But if there IS a "worldview," maybe the above is it?

The notion that life must have an "answer" is a product of the fertile human mind, as are religions answers to that question.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 02-29-2020 at 08:22 AM..

Old 02-29-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Arach. I am a little confused but thank you.
its the forum setting. sitting down with a pencil a paper where we can point to the main points ... you and I would close in on what we are saying very quickly.

me and trans would too. but he knows where that ends. He knows I will keep repeating "yes, some theist are mean spirited and hateful people, how does it affect this "QED" observation?" or "yes, we both say their is no god, how does that affect this list of traits listed in biology textbooks?"

hey did you ever see the movie gifted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality