Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2023, 09:55 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,272,203 times

Advertisements

Now, now. There's no need to fight. You're both wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 10:07 PM

15,865 posts, read 6,340,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ha, ha! That is what I have been doing for the past 15 years since GldnRule asked me to provide it. My 62,000+ posts and 24 Blog posts here on CD are my attempts to "do it."
Maybe you should show primal your monkey.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:21 PM

63,864 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Fine, Mr. Mulder. You had an encounter.

I don't doubt that you had an experience, but I think you then decided to interpret it in a way that you were inclined to.

Believers believe what they want to believe, and I don't think you're any exception to that rule.
Given the amount of intellectual effort involved in establishing a Synthesis and rationale that made my experience plausible using science, I would have preferred to have avoided the need to do so. I can't say I would prefer to have remained an atheist, because that is not true. The experience was beyond awesome and I look forward to my death with anticipation. In fact, I think what so many Christians call the rapture accurately describes the experience and may actually refer to our end of physical life (death in many ways.) Of course, the silly "end-of-the-world" nonsense in the "Left Behind" version is purely human imagination gone amok, IMO.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I can't say I would prefer to have remained an atheist, because that is not true.
Yeah, we know, because exactly zero people have ever held that position. I have never in my life encountered a "I found out God exists, unfortunately. I wish that He didn't", person. Or even a, "God exists, and I have no opinion about the matter." Etc.

Just like everyone else who believes in an afterlife, you want there to be an afterlife, so you've convinced yourself of it. Congrats.

None of the fundie types at this forum who believe in Hell, ever think that they are going there. It's always for other people. Believers in afterlives are all conveniently all bound for a great afterlife, according to them.

I'll grant you that if there is a God, and if there is an 'afterlife', then everyone goes there no matter what they do or don't do, and there's no way it's something negative.

But there's no evidence for that. If there's something cool after we die, okay, I guess I'd enjoy that. But I'm not expecting it, so I can't be disappointed.

Also, I hope it's not forever. I don't care how cool it is, eventually I'm going to be tired and just want some rest. Back to the long nothingness/nonexistence from whence I came before my parents conceived me.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:39 PM

22,264 posts, read 19,253,131 times
Quote:
ThAT means the universe DEPENDS on God's existence NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND AS YOU SEEM TO WANT TO SUGGEST! GOD'S EXISTENCE does not depend]on the universe. As far as we can tell, it is part of God and has always been so. It is humans and their religions who have created all the CREATION nonsense. I apologize for my inappropriate cynicism. I do appreciate your efforts. But do you even see the inappropriateness of inferring that God depends on the universe when it is only the other way around???
you are saying the universe has always been a part of God. that is the same as saying god has always contained within it the universe. There has never been god without also having the universe, for you in your beliefs, you have stated repeatedly can't have one without the other. since they are joined at the hip and never without each other then they ARE reliant on each other.

Quote:
The fact that as far as we can tell God has always had what we perceive and experience as the universe and everything in it does not mean the existence of God is in any way DEPENDENT on its existence. It is entirely possible for God to exist without one as far as we can tell (it is possible for you to exist without your womb). But God does seem to have one so it is moot. Remember, it is ONLY the portion that WE PERCEIVE AND EXPERIENCE OF GOD from within God, IMO.
there are no facts regarding God.
there are beliefs about God.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 5,000,668 times
Quote:
Actually, I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly PRIOR to my encounter. That is why it so thoroughly disrupted my view of Reality and launched me on a decades-long quest within the sciences using what we DO know to satisfy my intellect that it was possible. I would not expect anyone to accept it absent a similar encounter but I am willing to explain and share my Synthesis of it with any who are interested. Peace.
Yet when we ask you to provide this alleged evidence, you evade.

Quote:
Ha, ha! That is what I have been doing for the past 15 years since GldnRule asked me to provide it. My 62,000+ posts and 24 Blog posts here on CD are my attempts to "do it."
I went through your blogs last week. Your attempt failed. Next time you waste my time, I will charge 200 € pro hour.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:48 PM

It's like, make it 100,000 posts and 50 blog posts of this kind of meaningless circular nonsense, and then we'll talk. Only 62k and 24 blogs is just not enough to convince.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:24 AM

the deepest most profound truths
are not complex

Old 10-05-2023, 01:14 AM

Quote:
ThAT means the universe DEPENDS on God's existence NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND AS YOU SEEM TO WANT TO SUGGEST! GOD'S EXISTENCE does not depend]on the universe. As far as we can tell, it is part of God and has always been so. It is humans and their religions who have created all the CREATION nonsense. I apologize for my inappropriate cynicism. I do appreciate your efforts. But do you even see the inappropriateness of inferring that God depends on the universe when it is only the other way around??? The fact that as far as we can tell God has always had what we perceive and experience as the universe and everything in it does not mean the existence of God is in any way DEPENDENT on its existence. It is entirely possible for God to exist without one as far as we can tell (it is possible for you to exist without your womb). But God does seem to have one so it is moot. Remember, it is ONLY the portion that WE PERCEIVE AND EXPERIENCE OF GOD from within God, IMO.
when you think a thought, is that thought your "body part"
when you paint a picture is that picture your "body part"
when you sing a song, is that song your "body part"

no. it is not.
and are your thoughts "alive," the pictures you paint "alive," or the songs you sing "alive"?
no they are not.

you keep saying creating is "magic" and "nonsense"
when it is ordinary and around us in our daily life.

to ignore that or deny that is not being "grounded in reality."

Old 10-05-2023, 01:31 AM

Quote:
None of your analogies work. The universe is not something God created. It is part of God's LIVING existence. We are the ones whose PERCEPTIONS AND EXPERIENCES create what we call the universe and everything in it in our minds because that is what we see of God from within God.
ok, look at statement in bold above.
it is saying that the "universe and everything in it" is something that is created in our mind through our perceptions.

a. i agree with that.
b. each person creates the universe they live in and the universe they see. The universe and everything in it is created in our minds. That is how i read and understand the view expressed in bold above.

c. so we "think it" "we perceive it" in our minds.
d. are the things you think in your mind alive and living?
e. do the things you think in your mind reproduce?
f. the things you think in your mind today, were those thoughts always there in you? the thoughts you will think next week, have those thoughts always been with you?

i am taking what is said in post above at face value and it just does not match up with other elements of the same belief system stated previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality