Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 11:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Infinitely loving as long as you are either a Christian or become a Christian? Not sure infinitely loving should have qualifications attached, seems like an contradiction.
Infinitely loving of his Children. Notice, I never said he loved all. That is not the same thing, nor does Scripture, suggest it. He certainly never said he loved all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 11:32 AM

127 posts, read 43,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
To anyone who believes in an afterlife of eternal torment that non-believers will be subject to, how do you personally feel about that?
In a hypothetical situation where you were running the show, would you feel morally justified to condemn non-believers to an eternity of suffering?

When I was religious, I always found that to be one of the hardest things to square. I know many religious people don't believe in a hell or place of eternal torment like I'm depicting, so I'm not really targeting the question towards you if it doesn't match what you believe.

EDIT: Whoops, typo in the subject... maybe a mod can fix that
Let me ask you a question : why are some people in prison right now while you and I are walking freely? I'll respond to your post after you give your response to this question

Old 12-22-2020, 11:33 AM

63,826 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You have made up your own definition of love that has nothing to do with the Bible. So why not?
STOP lying about that. I use Christ's descriptions, definitions, revelations, and demonstration of God's perfect Agape Love. I made up NOTHING!!! You blindly accept our ancient ancestors' ignorant, primitive, and barbaric, interpretations of God over the revelations and unambiguous demonstration by Jesus. It is you who should be concerned about believing in a corrupt God.
Quote:
Justice means punishing wrongdoing. We expect earthly judges to punish crime, and God has said he would not leave sin unpunished. You can believe he lied when he said that, but I believe him for what he's said. God does not lie. And he does punish sin, because he said he would.
Wrong. Fallible, and flawed human justice involves punishing. That is why you find it acceptable. Punishment after-the-fact serves only a potential deterrent effect, but it actually feeds the human desire for vengeance. It serves no useful remedial purpose, so to pretend that it is somehow justice is human hubris. God does not punish. He wants us to learn to correct our savage flaws as revealed in the treatment of Christ.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:36 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Infinitely loving of his Children. Notice, I never said he loved all. That is not the same thing.
Are you implying thst he has abandoned Jews and never considered those of other religions and atheists as his children? If that is the case Christians should not claim that he is everyone s God.

Millions will be tormented for eternity for being born to non Christian homes in non Christian nations and that's fine with both you and a loving God? Doesn't that contradict with agape love?

In all honesty, I find some parts of the Christian beliefs and sayings do not go along with each other. And that leads me to asking questions to explore why this appears so. My questions are intended to extend my understanding not as a debate against what you believe.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:36 AM

127 posts, read 43,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Believers in eternal hellfire for Other People are sadists.
can you say the government that sentence people to life imprisonment after they may have been convicted of a crime are also saddists?

Old 12-22-2020, 11:41 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Are you implying thst he has abandoned Jews and never considered those of other religions and atheists as his children? If that is the case Christians should not claim that he is everyone s God.
Whoever said that sort of thing? They are his chosen people. But, as Paul said in Romans 9:6-8:

"But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.†This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring."

The one who trusts in the Messiah Jesus are God's chosen.
Quote:

Millions will be tormented for eternity for being born to non Christian homes in non Christian nations and that's fine with both you and a loving God? Doesn't that contradict with agape love?
Correction. Billions will be tormented justly for eternity for being sinful human beings. And God is entirely just for doing so. That does not contradict his love.
Quote:
In all honesty, I find some parts of the Christian beliefs and sayings do not go along with each other. And that leads me to asking questions to explore why this appears so. My questions are intended to extend my understanding not as a debate against what you believe.
That's because you obviously don't understand that which you argue against. You start with the presupposition that human beings are good and moral. Instead start with what God says: All human beings are sinners.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:48 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadyclem View Post
can you say the government that sentence people to life imprisonment after they may have been convicted of a crime are also saddists?
8n some cases yes. Life in prison for crimes much less than murder seem sadistic as does the death penalty. Here one can out in as early as 15 years for a life sentence. Some murderers do spend life in prison for their entire life due to their being a threat to society.

What threat to society or to Heaven do Jews, Hindu or atheists pose? What crime did they commit? Should be none if you believe in Freedom of Religion. And why the same punishment for a Jew or an atheist?

Doesn't being punished for eternity go against the entire idea of free will? How is knowing you will be punished forever if you don't believe in a certain way represents having free will. Surely some maintain their beliefs out of fear and in those cases their free will has been removed.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:48 AM

1,333 posts, read 884,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Well, I would hope they would just reject the doctrine of eternal torment but still place their faith in Jesus. I'd prefer universal reconciliation rather than eternal torment (but then the problem to me is how there are truly evil people in the world according to societal standards such as of course Hitler and many sociopaths who truly have no love at all for anyone and who rather enjoy seeing people suffer. I just wish they would be annihilated). I just can't stand the thought of anyone suffering. It tears my heart out and I've wept many times when I hear of babies being neglected by their parents and left to die horrible deaths. I just wish Jesus will return soon so that all that will be at an end.

If someone were to reject God based on that, I would find that too bad but do understand where they are coming from. I would hope one day God would soften their heart so that they will place their faith in him and leave what they do not understand to his eternal wise counsel.

This might be getting a bit away from the question at hand, but would you consider possible physical "defects" could cause someone to exhibit behavior we would call evil? I'm not sure where you might draw the line on where agency originates from, whether that be a soul, a brain or some combination.

Thanks again for your responses

Old 12-22-2020, 11:50 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,031,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Those are all good questions, but do you have any answers, even hypothetical ones?

I'd suggest the following. Inasmuch as human morality is given by God, wouldn't God's morality be the same?

Inasmuch as human morality is only a poor reflection of God's perfection, shouldn't God's morality be even better?
The highest ideals of men are but tiny reflections of the One from whom they have flowed as Source. His morality is not only better, it is perfect beyond our loftiest comprehension!

Old 12-22-2020, 11:52 AM

63,826 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Are you implying that he has abandoned Jews and never considered those of other religions and atheists as his children? If that is the case Christians should not claim that he is everyone s God.

Millions will be tormented for eternity for being born to non-Christian homes in non-Christian nations and that's fine with both you and a loving God? Doesn't that contradict with agape love?

In all honesty, I find some parts of the Christian beliefs and sayings do not go along with each other. And that leads me to ask questions to explore why this appears so. My questions are intended to extend my understanding, not as a debate against what you believe.
You are correct, bad. The corruptions are the result of blindly believing EVERYTHING in the Bible is the inerrant and infallible word of God. Christians are supposed to TEST the Spirit of whatever is claimed to be from God or Jesus against the Holy Spirit of God as revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus, but the fundies don't bother. That is why their beliefs seem so contradictory and inconsistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality