Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 12:53 PM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How is believing God's inspired Word any worse than cherry-picking the verses from it that you like while ultimately making it subject to the liver shiver you get?
To believe God's inspired word, you have to KNOW which words are His. You are a very dishonest and deceitful poster, BapFun. You keep lying about my views repeatedly despite being corrected numerous times now. My beliefs have nothing to do with what I like and everything to do with what Jesus revealed and demonstrated. As a Christian, you should be following Jesus, NOT the Bible, and testing the Spirit of everything from that time period because there were antichrists prevalent even back then. You cannot know what has been corrupted by them. Jesus was very clear about how to TEST the Spirit and provided a clear and unambiguous standard in His descriptions and demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love. Your perverse rejection of Christ's standard for Truth is your undoing.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 12-22-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 12:57 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
You have made up your own definition of love that has nothing to do with the Bible. So why not?

Justice means punishing wrongdoing. We expect earthly judges to punish crime, and God has said he would not leave sin unpunished. You can believe he lied when he said that, but I believe him for what he's said. God does not lie. And he does punish sin, because he said he would.
We wouldn't expect judges in this country to torture people to death. I'm just amazed at how many Christians sound almost gleeful that people who don't believe like them, or at all, will be subjected to horrible flames forever and ever. Seriously, you people need help. Talk about schadenfreude.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:59 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
I understand where you're at. Your view of God starts with emotion and your view of human beings, and you then believe in a god based on that. I'd challenge you to instead start with what God has said about himself.

No. I've explicitly stated otherwise. We are not punished for unbelief. We are punished for sin. You and me and everyone in the world have more than enough sin for God to be justified in punishing us.

I didn't really ask you to start with that assumption. I asked you to start with what God has said.
I don't believe in any Gods. Your God is one version of one God. Your belief in a God didn't end with the Torah and didn't continue with either the Quran or the Book of Mormon. You asked me to start off with what God said, that would require me to accept your God and only Your God. You've called other religions and God's false and lies in the past.

If I have enough sin for your God to punish me for eternity then he truly mist be a vindictive and petty God. Also don't those who commit serious sinful deeds on Earth get saved if they repent to Jesus?

But aren't we all punished if we don't repent and accept Jesus? If we don't aren't we being punished for a lack of belief and not becoming Christian? How can a Hindu be saved without surrendering his religion? How can a Jew?

If we need to accept Jesus as our saviour or we get tormented forever then we are being punished for an unbelief.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:59 PM

1,333 posts, read 884,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The issue is according to the bible he sets up man to fail then punishes him when he does. I don't know how people can trust a God who would do something like that.
This is what was taught at the church I grew up in. My feeling on it is why should I worship a god who would do that? If I personally find it bad why should I go against my own moral compass to do so.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:01 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
This is what was taught at the church I grew up in. My feeling on it is why should I worship a god who would do that? If I personally find it bad why should I go against my own moral compass to do so.
Indeed. Who needs that?

Old 12-22-2020, 01:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I don't believe in any Gods. Your God is one version of one God. Your belief in a God didn't end with the Torah and didn't continue with either the Quran or the Book of Mormon. You asked me to start off with what God said, that would require me to accept your God and only Your God. You've called other religions and God's false and lies in the past.

If I have enough sin for your God to punish me for eternity then he truly mist be a vindictive and petty God. Also don't those who commit serious sinful deeds on Earth get saved if they repent to Jesus?
Actually, he's perfect. And Holy. And Just. And Loving.
Quote:
But aren't we all punished if we don't repent and accept Jesus? If we don't aren't we being punished for a lack of belief and not becoming Christian? How can a Hindu be saved without surrendering his religion? How can a Jew?
We're punished for our sin. We can be spared of that punishment by Jesus.
Quote:
If we need to accept Jesus as our saviour or we get tormented forever then we are being punished for an unbelief.
TECHNICALLY partially true. Believing is commanded. But not ONLY unbelief. We are punished generically for sin, of which there is an abundance of guilt on every human being that has ever lived.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:09 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Special place in Hell? Lol.
Plenty of Christians do believe there are varying degrees of punishment.
But the overall doctrine of Hell does not sit well with me.
Chinese have a lot of hells...

Old 12-22-2020, 01:12 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Infinitely loving of his Children. Notice, I never said he loved all. That is not the same thing, nor does Scripture, suggest it. He certainly never said he loved all.
So he created them, but that doesn't mean he loves them. Sorta like dead beat dad.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So he created them, but that doesn't mean he loves them. Sorta like dead beat dad.
A sadistic, psychopathic, narcissistic, genocidal deadbeat dad.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:15 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Whoever said that sort of thing? They are his chosen people. But, as Paul said in Romans 9:6-8:

"But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring."

The one who trusts in the Messiah Jesus are God's chosen.

Correction. Billions will be tormented justly for eternity for being sinful human beings. And God is entirely just for doing so. That does not contradict his love.

That's because you obviously don't understand that which you argue against. You start with the presupposition that human beings are good and moral. Instead start with what God says: All human beings are sinners.
Nah. That's just the we are special people club stuff I got over when I was about 11.

Come on. Let's start our own club. We'll build a fort out in the woods and we won't let those kids down the street join. We'll show them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality