Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 11:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are correct, bad. The corruptions are the result of blindly believing EVERYTHING in the Bible is the inerrant and infallible word of God.
Right. You only believe the nice parts that you like.
Quote:

Christians are supposed to TEST the Spirit of whatever is claimed to be from God or Jesus against the Holy Spirit of God as revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus, but the fundies don't bother. That is why their beliefs seem so contradictory and inconsistent.
I've done that. Remember? He told me you're full of hot air, and not to believe a word you say. That if you only took the time to try to understand, and to trust what he's said, you'd realize he's a loving God and there is no contradiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 12:04 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Correction. Billions will be tormented justly for eternity for being sinful human beings. And God is entirely just for doing so. That does not contradict his love.
God who loves torture it seems. Do you not see the irony?

Quote:
That's because you obviously don't understand that which you argue against. You start with the presupposition that human beings are good and moral. Instead start with what God says: All human beings are sinners.
More irony. We are made in God's image! (Genesis 1:27) If we are sinners then God is a sinner.

Torture is a sin, regardless of who perpetrates it.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:15 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Right. You only believe the nice parts that you like.
Again with the lies! I use the parts that are consistent and compatible with the true nature of God as agape love as revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus, NOT what I like! Your repeated lies demean you, BapFun. You do not accept the corrections Jesus brought to our ancient ancestors' understanding of God but I DO! Stop lying about my beliefs. You follow the Bible, I follow Christ. Which of us do you think is more Christian???
Quote:
I've done that. Remember? He told me you're full of hot air, and not to believe a word you say. That if you only took the time to try to understand, and to trust what he's said, you'd realize he's a loving God and there is no contradiction.
You keep pretending the Holy Spirit is something you decide about, but Jesus was very specific about the character of God's Holy Spirit of agape love which you ignore to apply YOUR capricious and corrupt human standards.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:16 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Whoever said that sort of thing? They are his chosen people. But, as Paul said in Romans 9:6-8:

"But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring."

The one who trusts in the Messiah Jesus are God's chosen.

Correction. Billions will be tormented justly for eternity for being sinful human beings. And God is entirely just for doing so. That does not contradict his love.

That's because you obviously don't understand that which you argue against. You start with the presupposition that human beings are good and moral. Instead start with what God says: All human beings are sinners.
Yes I don't understand the concept that all humans are sinners. Personally I find that idea repugnant. And the thought that not believing in Jesus as a sin worth being tormented for eternity an extremely terrible idea and cannot see how that fits into agape love. You love everyone but don't mind them being punished for not having your faith?

That you think your God is just for punishing people for not believing in Jesus and that alone makes their punishment just is probably the most difficult aspect of your religion to grasp.

No, I'll refuse to start with the assumption that all people are sinners and immoral. I do see why you find people like me objectionable as we do have exact opposite views of people.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Yes I don't understand the concept that all humans are sinners. Personally I find that idea repugnant. And the thought that not believing in Jesus as a sin worth being tormented for eternity an extremely terrible idea and cannot see how that fits into agape love. You love everyone but don't mind them being punished for not having your faith?
I understand where you're at. Your view of God starts with emotion and your view of human beings, and you then believe in a god based on that. I'd challenge you to instead start with what God has said about himself.
Quote:
That you think your God is just for punishing people for not believing in Jesus and that alone makes their punishment just is probably the most difficult aspect of your religion to grasp.
No. I've explicitly stated otherwise. We are not punished for unbelief. We are punished for sin. You and me and everyone in the world have more than enough sin for God to be justified in punishing us.
Quote:
No, I'll refuse to start with the assumption that all people are sinners and immoral. I do see why you find people like me objectionable as we do have exact opposite views of people.
I didn't really ask you to start with that assumption. I asked you to start with what God has said.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:33 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
God who loves torture it seems. Do you not see the irony?
More irony. We are made in God's image! (Genesis 1:27) If we are sinners then God is a sinner.
Torture is a sin, regardless of who perpetrates it.
Those who blindly believe what men have written is God's word have no ability to see the ironic contradictions and inconsistencies in their beliefs. They simply assume what men have told them is from God himself and, therefore, can NOT be inconsistent or contradictory. It is a no-win scenario with such blind acceptance.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Those who blindly believe what men have written is God's word have no ability to see the ironic contradictions and inconsistencies in their beliefs. They simply assume what men have told them is from God himself and, therefore, can NOT be inconsistent or contradictory. It is a no-win scenario with such blind acceptance.
How is believing God's inspired Word any worse than cherry-picking the verses from it that you like while ultimately making it subject to the liver shiver you get?

Old 12-22-2020, 12:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadyclem View Post
can you say the government that sentence people to life imprisonment after they may have been convicted of a crime are also saddists?
This board is for adults. Your analogy is childish.

There's a big difference between being in prison and getting three square meals a day, time to exercise, and a bed to sleep in -- and being toasted for eternity by a "loving" sadistic god-thing.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
I repeat: Those who believe Other People will be toasted for eternity are sadists.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:53 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
I fail to see the issue. God is infinitely holy and just. He will punish sin according to his nature -- eternally.

But he's also infinitely loving, and he will save anyone that repents and trusts in Jesus.

So what's the issue?
The issue is according to the bible he sets up man to fail then punishes him when he does. I don't know how people can trust a God who would do something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality