Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 05:18 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
This might be getting a bit away from the question at hand, but would you consider possible physical "defects" could cause someone to exhibit behavior we would call evil? I'm not sure where you might draw the line on where agency originates from, whether that be a soul, a brain or some combination.
There definitely may be chemical imbalances which can result in sociopathic behaviors. It is a great mercy of God that he provided us with medication which can help with some of these issues. It is a matter of the heart, whether one will choose to believe in God. Only God can judge the sincerity of that. I leave those difficult matters of judgment to him of course. Then of course, we can only go by the actions of anyone; if someone were to go and torture someone to death, we can only imagine that they do not have a saving relationship with God. We do not know that as I mentioned. According to God's word, such a person should be put to death because they caused the death of another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 05:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In other words, if one doesn't agree with your version of christianity...hit the road.
Not exactly. There are a few core/essential beliefs that are common to all Christian denominations.

So if a person doesn't believe ANY of them, yet still likes to use the Christian label, do you think it's strange to ask why?

Old 12-22-2020, 05:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The thing you seem to be missing is that nowhere have I suggested that a non-Christian can't come to Christ. The Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, etc, can all come to Christ. He will not turn away the person that repents and trusts in him.

I disagree, but ok.
Wouldn't a Jew coming to Christ become a Christian and no longer a Jew. Can a person believe in Hinduism and Christ?

You are saying that a person has to come to Christ to be saved , they must accept the view of Christianity. A Jew remaining a traditional Jew can't be saved?

Old 12-22-2020, 05:34 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Wouldn't a Jew coming to Christ become a Christian and no longer a Jew.
Ethnically, they'd still be Jewish. But yes, they would be defined as Christian, or Jewish Christian.
Quote:

Can a person believe in Hinduism and Christ?
They are contradictory. Just as Christ and Islam is mutually exclusive. One can certainly come to Christ out of those religions, but God would expect them to give up their gods. In the same way he expected first century worshipers of the Greek and Roman gods to give up those gods.
Quote:
You are saying that a person has to come to Christ to be saved , they must accept the view of Christianity. A Jew remaining a traditional Jew can't be saved?
I'm saying that we must trust in Jesus for eternal life. It's a vague statement to say "accept the view of Christianity".

Old 12-22-2020, 05:39 PM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Not exactly. There are a few core/essential beliefs that are common to all Christian denominations.

So if a person doesn't believe ANY of them, yet still likes to use the Christian label, do you think it's strange to ask why?
I think it's strange for a person to believe that your religion is the only possible belief system

Old 12-22-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Ethnically, they'd still be Jewish. But yes, they would be defined as Christian, or Jewish Christian.

They are contradictory. Just as Christ and Islam is mutually exclusive. One can certainly come to Christ out of those religions, but God would expect them to give up their gods. In the same way he expected first century worshipers of the Greek and Roman gods to give up those gods.

I'm saying that we must trust in Jesus for eternal life. It's a vague statement to say "accept the view of Christianity".
Hence every religious person who is not a believer of Christ deserves eternal torment,
Every non religious person deserves eternal torment.
Every Christian that repents to Jesus does not deserve eternal torment.

And You accept that this is moral because your God says so in a book?

Old 12-22-2020, 05:51 PM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Hence every religious person who is not a believer of Christ deserves eternal torment,

You and I should take a well deserved pat on the back! We love people around the world more than god does!

Old 12-22-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You and I should take a well deserved pat on the back! We love people around the world more than god does!
We apparently think better of them as well

Old 12-22-2020, 06:03 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...the concept of some necro-destination where you are brutally punished forever is something I found to one of the most displeasing ideas put forth by some organized Religions.
The people who thought up that metaphorical story must have been awfully obsessed with getting revenge and "payback" for wrongdoing.

I actually think it was a scam to keep slaves from revolting: See? It says to, "Love your enemy", "Turn the other cheek", & "Slaves, obey your Masters"...or you are gonna burn forever! Now quit looking at me like that for whipping you, and get back to work. You don't wanna end up in Hell, do ya?!
What the Bible says depends on the perspective. Slaves read it as a slave and free people read it as free people.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:09 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:

Every PERSON deserves it. It’s the Christians that have someone to save them from it.

As for it being moral according to your biased definition? Can’t say I care. God doesn’t apologize for what he has said, and I won’t make excuses for him. He’s God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality