Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Not true. Christianity is about how we treat each other while here on earth, as much as how we treat GOD. It's pretty much what's summed up in the Ten Commandments, and the rest of the bible.
Which is nothing more or less than the established societal norms set by our tree-swinging, forested forebears millions of years before primitive descendants etched the pamphlets which, when collated, formed various editions of what came to be known as the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 01:24 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,001,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The god of the Bible is a cosmic crybaby. "Bwaaaa.....boohoo.....you rejected my son. You hurt my feelings so bad that I'm going to have to burn you alive forever in hell. I don't want to...but my sense of justice demands it."
This is probably the most disconcerting thing about Hell.
His crying and weeping while He sends you there.
How many judges on earth do that, when sending someone to jail ?
That, and the explanation that Hell is eternal, because God is eternal.
But I only had a limited time on earth?

Old 12-24-2020, 09:09 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Not true. Christianity is about how we treat each other while here on earth, as much as how we treat GOD. It's pretty much what's summed up in the Ten Commandments, and the rest of the bible.
Take that up with BaptistFundie then, I was addressing a comment he had made. If Christians are not concerned about my afterlife take it up with him, or the missionaries.

The history of how people who call themselves Christians treat each other is not that pure and wonderful. And much of the Old Testament is not a manual of how to treat others in a proper manner.

Do you believe that I deserve to be tormented for eternity for not accepting Jesus as my saviour? Do Jews, Hindu and Muslim adherents deserve the same fate? That's what this thread is about. Do you think it is moral that regardless of how we treat our fellow humans we the non Christians all deserve the same fate?

Old 12-24-2020, 09:17 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The hell it does!

OK seriously, where does it say hell exists? I've done a google search and it seems that hell is absent from the OT.
Having said that, even if there is NO allusion to it, it doesn't matter. The NT talks about it. Jesus told the story of Lazarus the beggar and the rich man in hell -- to a bunch of Jews you say supposedly know nothing of it. But the NT talking about it is enough.

Num. 16:30, "But if the Lord brings about an entirely new thing and the ground opens its mouth and swallows them up with all that is theirs, and they descend alive into Sheol, then you will understand that these men have spurned the Lord... 33 So they and all that belonged to them went down alive to Sheol; and the earth closed over them, and they perished from the midst of the assembly."

Old 12-24-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Of course that begs the question of how we can inherit characteristics from the first man but not from our grandfather's? But that belongs in another thread.
It's called "Federal Headship". Like it or not, Adam represented us all when he sinned. We inherit a sin nature from him.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:22 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's called "Federal Headship". Like it or not, Adam represented us all when he sinned. We inherit a sin nature from him.
Pure drivel.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:40 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Take that up with BaptistFundie then, I was addressing a comment he had made. If Christians are not concerned about my afterlife take it up with him, or the missionaries.

The history of how people who call themselves Christians treat each other is not that pure and wonderful. And much of the Old Testament is not a manual of how to treat others in a proper manner.

Do you believe that I deserve to be tormented for eternity for not accepting Jesus as my saviour? Do Jews, Hindu and Muslim adherents deserve the same fate? That's what this thread is about. Do you think it is moral that regardless of how we treat our fellow humans we the non Christians all deserve the same fate?
If a person does not believe those things bolded...then I do not see how they are a true christian as that is, perhaps, the most basic tenet of christianity -- eternal life only through christ. And that's pathetic.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:43 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
No. He didn't represent me. He never met me. I never gave him permission to represent me.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:44 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Like it or not Genesis is one book that is extremely difficult to accept as true. Your explanation is not really an explanation for how we can inherit sin from an activity done thousands of years ago or much longer ago. Did God change our DNA or our thought processes? You'd think after he killed off everyone but Noah and his family, Adam and Eve disobeying would be erased from our DNA or minds.

I'd like to correct what seems to be a misconception you have. Atheists do not lack a belief in a God because it is something they don't like. We don't dismiss the Bible because it contains things we don't like. Believers may ignore the parts of the Bible they don't like, like the verses telling how to own others, but that is not the case for atheists.

What's not to like about still existing after I died and seeing my grandparents my dogs and cats again? No it is not like or dislike, it is , is it real or not, true or not, plausible or not. I do not find Genesis plausible or real and certainly doesn't sound true. I've asked or argued with you on this thread and others mostly to flesh out in my mind what you think and believe. I've never been delusional to think I could deconvert you from your religious beliefs, nor do I care to do so. However I do believe you carry some false beliefs about atheists. Those I do wish to assist in you correcting those where they are incorrect. Like it or not.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Like it or not Genesis is one book that is extremely difficult to accept as true. Your explanation is not really an explanation for how we can inherit sin from an activity done thousands of years ago or much longer ago. Did God change our DNA or our thought processes? You'd think after he killed off everyone but Noah and his family, Adam and Eve disobeying would be erased from our DNA or minds.
The corruption of sin might have. God didn't create you or me and plant sin in us. We inherited it from Adam.
Quote:
I'd like to correct what seems to be a misconception you have. Atheists do not lack a belief in a God because it is something they don't like. We don't dismiss the Bible because it contains things we don't like. Believers may ignore the parts of the Bible they don't like, like the verses telling how to own others, but that is not the case for atheists.
Actually, I don't believe that. Creation testifies to the existence of God. Anyone who has an open mind can see that. But Romans 1:18 states "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,"

Ephesians 2:1-3 states "And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind."

The problem is your sin blinds you. The same way my sin blinded me. It's a problem that plagues mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality