Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 02:56 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It seems to me that it's rather self-explanatory.
If it was self-explanatory, I wouldn't have asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 02:57 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Of course it did.
The hell it does!

OK seriously, where does it say hell exists? I've done a google search and it seems that hell is absent from the OT.
Quote:
First mention of hell in the Bible
"Gehenna" in the New Testament, where it is described as a place where both soul and body could be destroyed (Matthew 10:28) in "unquenchable fire" (Mark 9:43). The word is translated as either "Hell" or "Hell fire" in many English versions.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I hope you're not a first responder.
You obviously don't get it. Oh well. Par for the course, I suppose...

Old 12-23-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The hell it does!

OK seriously, where does it say hell exists? I've done a google search and it seems that hell is absent from the OT.
Let's say it's not in the OT. Even if it's not, what's you point?

Old 12-23-2020, 03:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Notice who it said sinned, though. The Bible says Adam sinned. He was the leader, she was the helpmate. He sinned.
only' cause she had no clothes on.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
only' cause she had no clothes on.
Neither did he.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Neither did he.
exactly.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:49 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Does it concern you at all of the multiple of people of other faiths died at the hands of Christians because of having a different faith? Or even of Christians killed by other Christians as her it is so that you can live in a certain type of Christianity?

All those lives are as important as the ones you mentioned. No more but no less.
Yes, there are plenty of atheists who have used the label of Christianity. Do you have a point?

Old 12-23-2020, 04:46 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes, there are plenty of atheists who have used the label of Christianity. Do you have a point?
My point

When the Spanish in 1792 gave their Jewish residents the choice of leaving the country, converting to Christianity or being put to death, conversion wasn't really voluntarily nor was it atheists forcing Jews to convert.

When the Earl of Orkney was given the choice od convert to Christianity (and all of his subjects) or die it wasn't for concern for his afterlife. And unlike your belief it wasn't atheists forcing his coversion.

My point was addressing solely the comment that the reason for trying to get non Christians to adopt Christainity was for concern for people's afterlife. Once you threaten to kill another if they don't adopt your religion the claim that concern for their afterlife becomes a false one. I'm not saying that many do believe in trying to save some from going to Hell but there is lots of evidence to show other motives.

Is your point that Christians are too perfect to do anything wrong so they must of been atheists? Otherwise what point are you trying to make?

Old 12-23-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
My point

When the Spanish in 1792 gave their Jewish residents the choice of leaving the country, converting to Christianity or being put to death, conversion wasn't really voluntarily nor was it atheists forcing Jews to convert.

When the Earl of Orkney was given the choice od convert to Christianity (and all of his subjects) or die it wasn't for concern for his afterlife. And unlike your belief it wasn't atheists forcing his coversion.

My point was addressing solely the comment that the reason for trying to get non Christians to adopt Christainity was for concern for people's afterlife. Once you threaten to kill another if they don't adopt your religion the claim that concern for their afterlife becomes a false one. I'm not saying that many do believe in trying to save some from going to Hell but there is lots of evidence to show other motives.

Is your point that Christians are too perfect to do anything wrong so they must of been atheists? Otherwise what point are you trying to make?
Not true. Christianity is about how we treat each other while here on earth, as much as how we treat GOD. It's pretty much what's summed up in the Ten Commandments, and the rest of the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality