Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 06:17 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Every PERSON deserves it. It’s the Christians that have someone to save them from it.

As for it being moral according to your biased definition? Can’t say I care. God doesn’t apologize for what he has said, and I won’t make excuses for him. He’s God.
Deserves got nothing to do with anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 06:57 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Hence every religious person who is not a believer of Christ deserves eternal torment,
Every non religious person deserves eternal torment.
Every Christian that repents to Jesus does not deserve eternal torment.

And You accept that this is moral because your God says so in a book?
Seems rather improbable that he accepts it merely because some men wrote in a book that God says so, bad. It is more likely that it resonates with his own personal morality and character so he finds it more than acceptable.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Hence every religious person who is not a believer of Christ deserves eternal torment,
Every non religious person deserves eternal torment.
Every Christian that repents to Jesus does not deserve eternal torment.

And You accept that this is moral because your God says so in a book?
Weird, ain't it?

And they vote and breed.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Every PERSON deserves it. It’s the Christians that have someone to save them from it.

As for it being moral according to your biased definition? Can’t say I care. God doesn’t apologize for what he has said, and I won’t make excuses for him. He’s God.
You poor, sad, small man.

You deserve a better god to which to hitch your wagon.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:39 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
To anyone who believes in an afterlife of eternal torment that non-believers will be subject to, how do you personally feel about that?
In a hypothetical situation where you were running the show, would you feel morally justified to condemn non-believers to an eternity of suffering?

When I was religious, I always found that to be one of the hardest things to square. I know many religious people don't believe in a hell or place of eternal torment like I'm depicting, so I'm not really targeting the question towards you if it doesn't match what you believe.

EDIT: Whoops, typo in the subject... maybe a mod can fix that

Believers must be made aware by any means possible (I do my little part here) that the idea of eternal torment in fire is not original or peculiar to the Christian faith. The church leaders in the early church, (Tertullian, Augustine, et al) stole the idea from the Greeks (who in turn stole it from the Persian Zoroastrians) because it was very effective at convincing dumb pagans that if they didn't join the Roman Catholic Church they would be tormented forever in fire. Dumb pagan weren't so dumb that they didn't know dying in flames was the most painful way to die. When they imagined it going on for eternity and not having enough common sense to reason how absurd the whole proposition was, they succumbed to the lie.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:52 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God has a plan for everyone to be with Him in the afterlife, so people need to seek out God with an honest heart .............. Otherwise, God has no plan for people who reject Him ..... Just like the people you would never get married to you would just reject them, and they would go off, so when people reject the Lord God of life than God has no plans for them in the afterlife, so the Holy Angels of God will collect their spirit when they pass from the earth and send their spirit to a place prepared for lost people who rejected the God of life .... See Heaven is bliss and that is the only plan for man and women to be one with the living God ....... One belief form which will question eternal torment is the Universal churches .....

The god of the Bible is a cosmic crybaby. "Bwaaaa.....boohoo.....you rejected my son. You hurt my feelings so bad that I'm going to have to burn you alive forever in hell. I don't want to...but my sense of justice demands it."

Old 12-22-2020, 11:25 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Actually, he's perfect. And Holy. And Just. And Loving.

We're punished for our sin. We can be spared of that punishment by Jesus.

TECHNICALLY partially true. Believing is commanded. But not ONLY unbelief. We are punished generically for sin, of which there is an abundance of guilt on every human being that has ever lived.
A truly loving, holy and perfect being would do the honorable thing and forgive us all - after all, he created us this way - and he would make the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf and send himself to the hell that he created in the first place and suffer our punishment and set us free. That would be the ultimate expression of his love for us. The ultimate expression of perfection and holiness.

You know, there are men in history who have laid down their lives to save others. These were mortal men, true hero's. I know of a few such individuals. One man threw himself onto a hand grenade that had fallen into the trench the he and his trainees were and absorb the blast, saving those youngsters. He was a big man, a hero. You get my drift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The god of the Bible is a cosmic crybaby. "Bwaaaa.....boohoo.....you rejected my son. You hurt my feelings so bad that I'm going to have to burn you alive forever in hell. I don't want to...but my sense of justice demands it."
I hate to say this but ....... you hit the nail on the head!

Last edited by 303Guy; 12-22-2020 at 11:33 PM..

Old 12-22-2020, 11:35 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
A truly loving, holy and perfect being would do the honorable thing and forgive us all - after all, he created us this way - and he would make the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf and send himself to the hell that he created in the first place and suffer our punishment and set us free. That would be the ultimate expression of his love for us. The ultimate expression of perfection and holiness.

You know, there are men in history who have laid down their lives to save others. These were mortal men, true hero's. I know of a few such individuals. One man threw himself onto a hand grenade that had fallen into the trench the he and his trainees were and absorb the blast, saving those youngsters. He was a big man, a hero. You get my drift?

I hate to say this but ....... you hit the nail on the head!
Wonder if he would have done the same thing had he known that the people in the trench were murderers and rapists...

Old 12-23-2020, 12:03 AM

290 posts, read 164,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Pretty much. It's forced deeds and justice. Similar to a robber putting a gun to a clerks head and saying "all the cash or else". If the clerk gives all the money then he's doing something by force to preserve his life and if he doesn't, hell get a bullet in his head.

Similar to God and his creation and how one attains heaven and hell. Believe and you'll live. Disobey and you'll burn in hell..

This is religion for you.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:32 AM

11,033 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let455_ View Post
Pretty much. It's forced deeds and justice. Similar to a robber putting a gun to a clerks head and saying "all the cash or else". If the clerk gives all the money then he's doing something by force to preserve his life and if he doesn't, hell get a bullet in his head.

Similar to God and his creation and how one attains heaven and hell. Believe and you'll live. Disobey and you'll burn in hell..

This is religion for you.
Yup. That pretty much nails it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality