Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 04:59 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
But in my Bible it is written thus:

1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, "The first man Adam was made a living soul". The last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
You are reading Paul through later Christian theology. Naturally they can not have 2 Adams, so they use quotes to make the text read in a false way.

Became (primary verb) - the - first - man - Adam - into - a soul - living; - the - last - Adam - into - a spirit - make alive.

Your version has added text that is not in the Greek.

1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, "The first man Adam was made (primary verb) a living soul". The last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

The second section (The last Adam a quickening spirit) in Greek makes no sense as a single sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 08:44 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except Paul also says others had visions, just like he did. Was he is lying about that, were they also mad, or were they doing things that made them have visions? And to be the devil's advocate, were they genuine visions? These are also possibilities one must think about.

He hints he got to the third heaven, and is dogmatic about how one must believe. Paul appears to have thought he was enlightened, although possibly in a different way to how Buddhists see enlightenment.

Paul says he did not go to Judea until 3 years after his vision, so he could not have approached the Jerusalem church first. And he must have known what the earlier Christians believed, otherwise how could he persecute them? So did Paul teach something similar but without the laws on diet and circumcision, or did he teach something completely different and lied about the pillars giving him permission to do something he was already doing? We do not know because we only have Paul's letters, and later, fictional stories.

His belief was a branch of Judaism with no temple worship, no circumcision, and no dietary laws, 3 advantages over Temple worship Judaism in lands far away from Jerusalem. And people at that time considered Judaism as philosophically interesting. Who knows what Paul was like when he was not writing letters? But maybe you are correct, and Paul was a failure. After all, the church at Corinth appeared to have disappeared for the next 100 years.
I find myself on your side here for more than one reason, Harry, ever since I realized there was an advanced spiritual understanding of the Torah and Talmud in the Kabbalah Zoharic texts. That explained a lot and placed Jesus and Paul in a very different light. The disconnect between carnal and spiritual interpretation in Jewish mysticism is profound, the narrative about Jesus makes much more sense knowing that.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:06 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I find myself on your side here for more than one reason, Harry, ever since I realized there was an advanced spiritual understanding of the Torah and Talmud in the Kabbalah Zoharic texts. That explained a lot and placed Jesus and Paul in a very different light. The disconnect between carnal and spiritual interpretation in Jewish mysticism is profound, the narrative about Jesus makes much more sense knowing that.
Now you are making me want to explore the Kabbalah Zoharic Texts. I'll have to add that to the list, which is long at the moment but the a few good things about having Coronavirus, I have lost weight, I have spent more time reading in bed in the past two weeks than I have in the past two years and I am catching up on the books laying around, which are probably a fraction of what you have, but at least I am making progress.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You are reading Paul through later Christian theology. Naturally they can not have 2 Adams, so they use quotes to make the text read in a false way.

Became (primary verb) - the - first - man - Adam - into - a soul - living; - the - last - Adam - into - a spirit - make alive.

Your version has added text that is not in the Greek.

1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, "The first man Adam was made (primary verb) a living soul". The last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

The second section (The last Adam a quickening spirit) in Greek makes no sense as a single sentence.
That still seems to work (it is written "the - first - man - Adam - into - a soul - living"; - the - last - Adam - (Paul says) into - a spirit - make alive.) I'm using your version, here. And, since you say it makes no sense as a single sentence, let's use a full stop.

it is written "the - first - man - Adam - into - a soul - living". The - last - Adam - (Paul says) into - a spirit - make alive. Two sentences. Paul is not going to be too anxious to distinguish between what is written and what's just his opinion.

I agree there aren't two Adams. There are two persons (or three if not more) driven by the (messianic) spirit of Adam; Adam himself, David and Jesus. I could be wrong. Maybe David is not Adam's spirit, but the gospel evidence (though not understood by the editors of the gospels) is that Jesus is David -as Messiah.

I would also mention that I recall Paul arguing that Jesus came to rectify by obedience the sin brought about by Adam's disobedience. I'll try to find it.

Romans 5. 12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned.....
19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

I know, it works if Jesus is Not Adam, I can't recall all the clues in Paul that the messianic spirit traced back to Adam, but I think it works as well as Paul thinking that Jesus has a 'messianic' spirit from somewhere.

This might be regarded as a clue

Rom Rom 5:14
Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

It also solves this 'Son of Man' simile that has caused so much discussion. If Jesus is the son of David because the spirit of David (as messiah) had entered into him (at the baptism) then Son of Man (Adam) means that the spirit of Adam (as messiah) had entered into him. Thus the conclusion is that the two messianic spirits are the same and (logically) David's messianic spirit was also Adam. And he would indeed (as John says) predate Abraham, though I know that John was thinking of Jesus being God incarnate, rather than Adam.

What I am sure is that Paul did not think that Jesus was God incarnate but a god -sent spirit that made him Messiah.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-24-2021 at 03:39 AM..

Old 02-24-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
That still seems to work (it is written "the - first - man - Adam - into - a soul - living"; - the - last - Adam - (Paul says) into - a spirit - make alive.) I'm using your version, here. And, since you say it makes no sense as a single sentence, let's use a full stop.
You have missed the word 'Became', which is the primary verb here. It is omitted in the second phrase because it is in the first. Try your version without the quotes and added text.

And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul, the last Adam a quickening spirit.

Quote:
it is written "the - first - man - Adam - into - a soul - living". The - last - Adam - (Paul says) into - a spirit - make alive. Two sentences. Paul is not going to be too anxious to distinguish between what is written and what's just his opinion.
The last Adam into a life-giving spirit? On it's own, that makes no sense. Where is the verb?

'Make alive' here is one word that is the partner of 'living' in the first phrase, just as 'spirit' is the partner with 'soul'. The word is translated in most versions as life-giving. The second phrase is not an explanation, it is part of the quote.

Quote:
I agree there aren't two Adams. There are two persons (or three if not more) driven by the (messianic) spirit of Adam; Adam himself, David and Jesus. I could be wrong. Maybe David is not Adam's spirit, but the gospel evidence (though not understood by the editors of the gospels) is that Jesus is David -as Messiah.
In Christian theology there is just one Adam. In some Jewish theologies there were two, including Paul's. This whole passage is about heaven / earth pairs, as is the Epistle to the Hebrews.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Now you are making me want to explore the Kabbalah Zoharic Texts. I'll have to add that to the list, which is long at the moment but the a few good things about having Coronavirus, I have lost weight, I have spent more time reading in bed in the past two weeks than I have in the past two years and I am catching up on the books laying around, which are probably a fraction of what you have, but at least I am making progress.
I hope I am reading too much into your reference to the Coronavirus, KingCat. I hope you do not have it and are just referring to sheltering from the pandemic. You are in my prayers just in case.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
I agree. It really is about "fandom". Its like looking at a bad call from a ref.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:45 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
I hope I am reading too much into your reference to the Coronavirus, KingCat. I hope you do not have it and are just referring to sheltering from the pandemic. You are in my prayers just in case.
No Sorry I have it, or rather, had it and am taking a while to get over it. Which I was told may happen.
I started getting sick at the end of January. I have been home with pneumonia, yesterday was my first day out with the exception of taking people to and from the hospital and picking up prescriptions. Both my wife and son were hospitalized, but are home now. I am just beginning to be able to function without getting winded, I am told this could take a few more weeks to clear up

I appreciate your thoughts and well wishes I mention that I am spending more time home resting, reading, watching Tv because I cannot be out working at this point.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
No Sorry I have it, or rather, had it and am taking a while to get over it. Which I was told may happen.
I started getting sick at the end of January. I have been home with pneumonia, yesterday was my first day out with the exception of taking people to and from the hospital and picking up prescriptions. Both my wife and son were hospitalized, but are home now. I am just beginning to be able to function without getting winded, I am told this could take a few more weeks to clear up

I appreciate your thoughts and well wishes I mention that I am spending more time home resting, reading, watching Tv because I cannot be out working at this point.
Well, so sorry that I was right. I will keep you all in my thoughts and well wishes (aka, my prayers ) and hope for a speedy recovery for you all.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:

I hope you get well soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality