Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 08:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You have missed the word 'Became', which is the primary verb here. It is omitted in the second phrase because it is in the first. Try your version without the quotes and added text.

And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul, the last Adam a quickening spirit.

The last Adam into a life-giving spirit? On it's own, that makes no sense. Where is the verb?

'Make alive' here is one word that is the partner of 'living' in the first phrase, just as 'spirit' is the partner with 'soul'. The word is translated in most versions as life-giving. The second phrase is not an explanation, it is part of the quote.

In Christian theology there is just one Adam. In some Jewish theologies there were two, including Paul's. This whole passage is about heaven / earth pairs, as is the Epistle to the Hebrews.
Well, write it correctly any way you think it should read in English, with 'became' or not, and I'll see whether it rules out the spirit of Adam entering into Jesus.
"And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul, the last Adam a quickening spirit."

The first bit says that Adam was made a living soul, that is a man. The other a quickening spirit. Did not 'become' as it already was. But (so I'm arguing) entered Jesus entire 'quickening' him. Which I take to mean allowing him to act as he did.

However, if you are arguing that there were Two (separate) Adams, let's look into that. O'm not sure how that works at all as I never heard anyone suggests that there were two Adams, though it wouldn't be something Christians (or Judaism) would talk about.

I did have a quick Google, but couldn't find mention of two Adams other than a Jewish theologian (Lonely man of faith) who seemed to be talking more about the human condition.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-25-2021 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
No Sorry I have it, or rather, had it and am taking a while to get over it. Which I was told may happen.
I started getting sick at the end of January. I have been home with pneumonia, yesterday was my first day out with the exception of taking people to and from the hospital and picking up prescriptions. Both my wife and son were hospitalized, but are home now. I am just beginning to be able to function without getting winded, I am told this could take a few more weeks to clear up

I appreciate your thoughts and well wishes I mention that I am spending more time home resting, reading, watching Tv because I cannot be out working at this point.
I'm sorry to hear about that. I wish you (and yours) all the best and a speedy recovery.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:08 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well, write it correctly any way you think it should read in English, with 'became' or not, and I'll see whether it rules out the spirit of Adam entering into Jesus.
"And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul, the last Adam a quickening spirit."
Became (primary verb)
- the - first - man - Adam - into - a soul - living;
- the - last - Adam - into - a spirit - life giving.

This structure is a deliberate literary device, probably from a lost commentary on Genesis.

In English, the first Adam became a living soul, the last a life giving spirit.

Quote:
The first bit says that Adam was made a living soul, that is a man. The other a quickening spirit. Did not 'become' as it already was. But (so I'm arguing) entered Jesus entire 'quickening' him. Which I take to mean allowing him to act as he did.
The passage has nothing to do with Jesus, it is about how believers go to heaven. Do they keep their body or do they have a separate body? Paul says they have one waiting for them in heaven, so he is talking about two different bodies.

Quote:
However, if you are arguing that there were Two (separate) Adams, let's look into that. O'm not sure how that works at all as I never heard anyone suggests that there were two Adams, though it wouldn't be something Christians (or Judaism) would talk about.

I did have a quick Google, but couldn't find mention of two Adams other than a Jewish theologian (Lonely man of faith) who seemed to be talking more about the human condition.
That is because you are conditioned by 2000 years of Christianity. But Philo talks about heavenly copies of things on earth, as does Epistle to the Hebrews. They had very different beliefs 2000 years ago.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:40 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Became (primary verb)

This structure is a deliberate literary device, probably from a lost commentary on Genesis.

The passage has nothing to do with Jesus, it is about how believers go to heaven. Do they keep their body or do they have a separate body? Paul says they have one waiting for them in heaven, so he is talking about two different bodies.

That is because you are conditioned by 2000 years of Christianity. But Philo talks about heavenly copies of things on earth, as does Epistle to the Hebrews. They had very different beliefs 2000 years ago.
I agree with Harry's reasoning and interpretation as well. Hell is in for a cold spell.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:48 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about that. I wish you (and yours) all the best and a speedy recovery.
Thanks

Covid seems to affect everyone differently, and we got hit pretty hard BUT at least we are recovering.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Became (primary verb)

Very well. I concede that you interpretation makes sense if the while thing is an allegory or something of the kind and none of it relates to real events. I presume that you would say that Pilate and Herod and other historical persons are just there to play their part in an allegory.

But If it is actually based on teal people and their ideas, at least about real events, then whatever is going on heaven, what is going on on earth, is an Adam (in spirit) being the 'last' thing that Paul is talking about, which is the Jesus who came to release people from sin.

I take your point that i have been 'conditioned' by the tale that Christianity has been telling for 1.5+ thousand years. That is the one I'm dealing with. Claims about heaven, and a Gospel that is allegory doesn't concern me any more than it concerns the Bible -believers.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:04 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Very well. I concede that you interpretation makes sense if the while thing is an allegory or something of the kind and none of it relates to real events. I presume that you would say that Pilate and Herod and other historical persons are just there to play their part in an allegory.

But If it is actually based on teal people and their ideas, at least about real events, then whatever is going on heaven, what is going on on earth, is an Adam (in spirit) being the 'last' thing that Paul is talking about, which is the Jesus who came to release people from sin.

I take your point that i have been 'conditioned' by the tale that Christianity has been telling for 1.5+ thousand years. That is the one I'm dealing with. Claims about heaven, and a Gospel that is allegory doesn't concern me any more than it concerns the Bible -believers.
Dude, were you drinking when you wrote this?...I see so many spelling errors here, which is unusual for you, like “teal people”?....lol

Old 02-27-2021, 03:25 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
No Sorry I have it, or rather, had it and am taking a while to get over it. Which I was told may happen.
I started getting sick at the end of January. I have been home with pneumonia, yesterday was my first day out with the exception of taking people to and from the hospital and picking up prescriptions. Both my wife and son were hospitalized, but are home now. I am just beginning to be able to function without getting winded, I am told this could take a few more weeks to clear up

I appreciate your thoughts and well wishes I mention that I am spending more time home resting, reading, watching Tv because I cannot be out working at this point.
From what I have been told , do not rush your return to work and instead work on your recovery. Best to you and your entire family.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:46 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Covid seems to affect everyone differently, and we got hit pretty hard BUT at least we are recovering.
'May you live long and may you be well and may your household be well and may all that you have be well.'
- 1st Samuel 25:6

Old 02-27-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Dude, were you drinking when you wrote this?...I see so many spelling errors here, which is unusual for you, like “teal people”?....lol
Sorry. The fact is that my eyes are not getting any better. I'm on about thirty% outside and 5O% inside. I've always been a rubbish typer, too. I try to pick up errors, but sometimes not till too late.

Yes, I know. I've been trying to get it fixed since the last glaucoma check that showed up cataracts, but nothing was happening even before the plague.

I will try to pick up the misstypes, but no guarantees or money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality