Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 11:44 AM

63,843 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here's what you said: "Yes, you have been quite successful in locking down theist beliefs and isolating all but the eminently refutable and irrational ones insulating atheism from any genuine dispute. You get to preach your atheism as if it is a default on every topic while criticizing and reporting me for doing the same with my theism. That you seem proud of that and do not even recognize the dishonesty and lack of decency it represents reveals a despicable hatred of theism that degrades what little soul some of you atheists seem to have. How on earth can you possibly doubt the sincerity of my theism, Arq?????"

It seems to be directed at Transponder with one phrase being directed to a larger audience, and then you end with "Arq".
Because Arq expressed an almost pride in the atheists having achieved it:

"But it has become something of an annex of A/A. (Atheists almighty) and we could have had Chrstianity, too, but the Christian disapproval of that was loud."

He also specifically mentioned me, my views, and whether or not I was pretending to be a theist. Read more carefully, phet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 12:42 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because Arq expressed an almost pride in the atheists having achieved it:

"But it has become something of an annex of A/A. (Atheists almighty) and we could have had Chrstianity, too, but the Christian disapproval of that was loud."

He also specifically mentioned me, my views, and whether or not I was pretending to be a theist. Read more carefully, phet.
We might read more carefully if it weren't for the many "reruns".

Old 03-10-2021, 04:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
You, like a number of others, are clearly looking for a praise forum. This is a discussion of the topic forum. Two completely different things.
No, I'm not looking for a "Praise Forum".
It is not typical for any forum to have a large majority of the posts be insults and bashing of the very subject of the forum.
This is the "Religion and Spirituality" (formerly Religion and Philosophy) Forum on the City-Data website. This would indicate that it would make sense and be reasonable to discuss Religions and the doctrine thereof on this board...and discussing the tenets of a theology on a board titled "Religion and Spirituality" would figure.
Of course there will be some that hold a differing view or dissent...but to have this board teeming with posts bashing and mocking the subject of the board seems very strange to me.
You would be hard pressed to find a board for any subject that many of the posts were people slamming the subject, or those who embrace the subject in some way...and cheering any downturn in the subject they can find.
Most of the posts to a board about Football are not about concussions and the waste of time, money, and pollution caused going to see the games...with most of the posts being critical of the game and people that play it or like it...likewise with Automobiles, or any other subject.
OTOH, I actually like that kind of exchange...I have noted that many times.
I kinda see it like entertainment or a sport.
This board is actually, to a large extent, a bash, insult, mock, and criticism of the subject of the board and the people who are into it...with veritable loathing and hated toward it openly presented.
Very, very strange, that is...and, the twisted side of me finds that amusing!

Old 03-10-2021, 04:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
I don't go into a car forum and rail on all the car guys for being car guys. It is totally irrational to me to think that "If you car guys weren't so rude I would question you." I mean who does that?

Old 03-10-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It is not typical for any forum to have a large majority of the posts be insults and bashing of the very subject of the forum.
This is the "Religion and Spirituality" (formerly Religion and Philosophy) Forum on the City-Data website. This would indicate that it would make sense and be reasonable to discuss Religions and the doctrine thereof on this board...and discussing the tenets of a theology on a board titled "Religion and Spirituality" would figure.
Of course there will be some that hold a differing view or dissent...but to have this board teeming with posts bashing and mocking the subject of the board seems very strange to me.
You would be hard pressed to find a board for any subject that many of the posts were people slamming the subject, or those who embrace the subject in some way...and cheering any downturn in the subject they can find.
Most of the posts to a board about Football are not about concussions and the waste of time, money, and pollution caused going to see the games...with most of the posts being critical of the game and people that play it or like it...likewise with Automobiles, or any other subject.
This board is actually, to a large extent, a bash, insult, mock, and criticism of the subject of the board and the people who are into it...with veritable loathing and hated toward it openly presented.
Then perhaps this forum is not for you.

There are forums I have left.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:

Maybe a anti-god forum to stop jerky believers under the name of just religion and spirituality is not for people that just want to talk about religion and spirituality. Its not for people that just want to talk about reliability of some beliefs in an open and honest format.

You have point.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Note these parts again:

Old 03-10-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Maybe a anti-god forum to stop jerky believers under the name of just religion and spirituality is not for people that just want to talk about religion and spirituality. Its not for people that just want to talk about reliability of some beliefs in an open and honest format.

You have point.
Thank you.

I don't really see how anyone can really complain about how this forum works. Just look at our choices:

atheism, agnosticism
buddhism
christianity
islam
judaism
paganism
general religion and spirituality

As a currently non-christian, I don't go up in the christianity sub-forum. Oh, maybe a couple of times a year when someone suggests I go up due to some specific topic. But I pretty much stay away. I let christians have at it up there.

Now, I understand some christians here who complain that some of us (and some far more than others) make fun of the christian religion. Yes, we do. Sometimes I do. But it that any worse than when a christian tells me I'm going to hell since I don't accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior? The general part of the "religion and spirituality" forum is a bit rough and tumble. If someone doesn't like that, they should go somewhere else. Just like I stopped going to the Politics & Other Controversies part of the forum...even though I love talking politics.

It's like going to the grocery store or watching television. If you don't like one product, find a product you do like. If you don't like one channel, change channels.

I'm gonna tell you what I think the real problem is behind all the whining: christians in this country are so used to being in the dominant position that they can't handle it when suddenly they are not in the dominant position. And so I say to them: Now you know how we feel. Now you know how we feel if we are atheists. Now you know how we feel if we are Buddhists. Now you know how we feel if we are Mormons. Now you know how we feel if we are Muslims. Most importantly to those christians: LEARN FROM IT.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you.

I don't really see how anyone can really complain about how this forum works. Just look at our choices:

atheism, agnosticism
buddhism
christianity
islam
judaism
paganism
general religion and spirituality

As a currently non-christian, I don't go up in the christianity sub-forum. Oh, maybe a couple of times a year when someone suggests I go up due to some specific topic. But I pretty much stay away. I let christians have at it up there.

Now, I understand some christians here who complain that some of us (and some far more than others) make fun of the christian religion. Yes, we do. Sometimes I do. But it that any worse than when a christian tells me I'm going to hell since I don't accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior? The general part of the "religion and spirituality" forum is a bit rough and tumble. If someone doesn't like that, they should go somewhere else. Just like I stopped going to the Politics & Other Controversies part of the forum...even though I love talking politics.

It's like going to the grocery store or watching television. If you don't like one product, find a product you do like. If you don't like one channel, change channels.

I'm gonna tell you what I think the real problem is behind all the whining: christians in this country are so used to being in the dominant position that they can't handle it when suddenly they are not in the dominant position. And so I say to them: Now you know how we feel. Now you know how we feel if we are atheists. Now you know how we feel if we are Buddhists. Now you know how we feel if we are Mormons. Now you know how we feel if we are Muslims. Most importantly to those christians: LEARN FROM IT.
Yes..and there is one thread within the general Religion and Spirituality forum where Pantheism discussion is permitted. No dedicated sub-forum.
Pantheism cannot be mentioned in any other thread...even as a noted Theistic belief that presents a God Entity that has evidence of existence, when evidence of such is asked for, or it is claimed that there is no such evidence.
OTOH...Atheism, the antithesis of Religion/God Belief, is permitted in any thread in the general forum titled Religion & Spirituality to dispute/bash/mock/insult Religious Beliefs, and those who embrace them.
As far as Christians noting the tenets and doctrine that they have been presented with, by & through the texts of that theology (the most epic & prolific book, EVER), seems very reasonable to me.
To them...a believed in Higher Power inspired men to write down these tenets/doctrines/codes...and this is what they are relating. To them...it is objective moral law and instructions, handed down by the Creator of the Universe.
THAT is where they get those concepts from. But, then, everyone knows that.
To disagree is one thing...but to come onto a board that is supposedly about Religion...and bash & insult those noting some of the principle tenets/doctrine of the most common Religion in the world....THAT is very strange.
Now..if the Christians came on to a board for "Atheism & Secular Ideology"...and told you that you're risking judgement and eternal torment for embracing Secularism ..then they would be the ones I'd say were strange.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes..and there is one thread within the general Religion and Spirituality forum where Pantheism discussion is permitted. No dedicated sub-forum.
Pantheism cannot be mentioned in any other thread...even as a noted Theistic belief that presents a God Entity that has evidence of existence, when evidence of such is asked for, or it is claimed that there is no such evidence.
OTOH...Atheism, the antithesis of Religion/God Belief, is permitted in any thread in the general forum titled Religion & Spirituality to dispute/bash/mock/insult Religious Beliefs, and those who embrace them.
As far as Christians noting the tenets and doctrine that they have been presented with, by & through the texts of that theology (the most epic & prolific book, EVER), seems very reasonable to me.
To them...a believed in Higher Power inspired men to write down these tenets/doctrines/codes...and this is what they are relating. To them...it is objective moral law and instructions, handed down by the Creator of the Universe.
THAT is where they get those concepts from. But, then, everyone knows that.
To disagree is one thing...but to come onto a board that is supposedly about Religion...and bash & insult those noting some of the principle tenets/doctrine of the most common Religion in the world....THAT is very strange.
Now..if the Christians came on to a board for "Atheism & Secular Ideology"...and told you that you're risking judgement and eternal torment for embracing Secularism ..then they would be the ones I'd say were strange.
And all you have to do is relocate yourself up to the christianity subforum. Gee, that was hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality