Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 12:02 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This board is actually, to a large extent, a bash, insult, mock, and criticism of the subject of the board and the people who are into it...with veritable loathing and hated toward it openly presented.
You keep repeating this as if it is true, and never done by the religious. Yet it is many of the religious here who appear to be able unable to accept alternate views, especially when backed by evidence they do not like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 12:41 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You keep repeating this as if it is true, and never done by the religious. Yet it is many of the religious here who appear to be able unable to accept alternate views, especially when backed by evidence they do not like.
And if I may add, I've heard christians make some pretty disparaging comments about Buddhism, and seen them do some pretty disrespectful things at Buddhist temples.

I want you to imagine what a christian would say if I was talking to them and noticed they had a cut in the palm of their hand and reached over and touched the cut and said, "Oh look. You been up the cross with your pal Jesus". Imagine my disgust when a parent on our PTA Board comes into the front office one day (in fact, more than one day), rubs my belly and says, "Victor is our Little Buddha".

And it doesn't end there. What I'll call "mainline christians" can be pretty damning toward Mormons.

And this goes back to what I said earlier. They don't like it when they aren't in the majority and dominant. But they don't care how other minorities feel who are in the minority.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:06 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It's like a person that would go to a "Football" board, and make a jillion posts of insults and criticisms about all the concussions and injuries, and waste of time & money and the pollution caused to gather in large stadiums to play and/or watch the game.
The same with a forum titled "Automobile Racing"...and those that would spend weeks, months, YEARS...some putting up TENS OF THOUSANDS of posts criticizing and insulting the sport and those who embrace it, based upon the deleterious derivative effects of that sport.
Then, turn around and proclaim those that take exception to the insults as, "unable to accept alternate views, especially when backed by evidence they do not like"! HaHaHaHa!
Who does that...anywhere else but this forum?!
Bottom Line...the Forum is titled "Religion & Spirituality"...it is reasonable that people proclaim and discuss their Religious and Spiritual beliefs. Some dissent and opposing posts can be expected...but people doing it for years, and putting up tens of thousands of posts critical of the title subject of the board...that is like nothing I have ever seen anywhere else. Very, very, very strange.
I like "strange"...that is my main attraction to this board.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
This has been said before in various ways - if the NFL block -voted a party you didn't much like, if they had everyone in any state they dominated make football their main thing, if they had your job, family and community standing on the line if you didn't do football and if they insisted that science was wrong for not agreeing the world was football -shaped, you'd be there posting hundreds of protests as part of a campaign to tell football to stay where it belonged, out of politics, community and science, just as I would.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:12 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It's like a person that would go to a "Football" board, and make a jillion posts of insults and criticisms about all the concussions and injuries, and waste of time & money and the pollution caused to gather in large stadiums to play and/or watch the game.
The same with a forum titled "Automobile Racing"...and those that would spend weeks, months, YEARS...some putting up TENS OF THOUSANDS of posts criticizing and insulting the sport and those who embrace it, based upon the deleterious derivative effects of that sport.
Then, turn around and proclaim those that take exception to the insults as, "unable to accept alternate views, especially when backed by evidence they do not like"! HaHaHaHa!
Who does that...anywhere else but this forum?!
Bottom Line...the Forum is titled "Religion & Spirituality"...it is reasonable that people proclaim and discuss their Religious and Spiritual beliefs. Some dissent and opposing posts can be expected...but people doing it for years, and putting up tens of thousands of posts critical of the title subject of the board...that is like nothing I have ever seen anywhere else. Very, very, very strange.
I like "strange"...that is my main attraction to this board.
You can knock off the rants about how the forum operates. We have a forum about Christianity. It is not a forum just for Christians. It is a forum where anybody can post, and the threads need to be about some aspect of Christianity. Every type of Christian or non-Christian is welcome. The same is true about this main forum and all the other sub-forums. This is a forum about Religion and Spirituality. It is not only for religious people. Anybody can post here. Threads are about some aspect of Religion or Spirituality. No religious requirement is necessary for people to post here.

People become interested in topics for a variety of reasons. Some are simply curious. Some are deeply involved in the subject. Some of been seriously hurt by the followers of a particular aspect. Some just wonder in here. Some see threads suggested as they read other things. Some may be bored and simply pass time here.

In the end, it doesn't matter. They forum operates the way it is. Anybody can come post here as long as the adhere to the rules.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:06 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You can knock off the rants about how the forum operates. We have a forum about Christianity. It is not a forum just for Christians. It is a forum where anybody can post, and the threads need to be about some aspect of Christianity. Every type of Christian or non-Christian is welcome. The same is true about this main forum and all the other sub-forums. This is a forum about Religion and Spirituality. It is not only for religious people. Anybody can post here. Threads are about some aspect of Religion or Spirituality. No religious requirement is necessary for people to post here.

People become interested in topics for a variety of reasons. Some are simply curious. Some are deeply involved in the subject. Some of been seriously hurt by the followers of a particular aspect. Some just wonder in here. Some see threads suggested as they read other things. Some may be bored and simply pass time here.

In the end, it doesn't matter. They forum operates the way it is. Anybody can come post here as long as the adhere to the rules.
How does the rule against proselytizing, not that i support it, fit into all this? How do you define it? If start a thread about interest in Hinduism and lay out how you follow the practices am i proselytizing?

Old 03-11-2021, 09:25 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How does the rule against proselytizing, not that i support it, fit into all this? How do you define it? If start a thread about interest in Hinduism and lay out how you follow the practices am i proselytizing?
That's a fair question.

My own personal view is that naturally as we discuss topics related to our religious beliefs (or lack thereof), we are saying (one way or another) "I believe this". Where the line is crossed, in my view, is when a poster gets beyond that to also say -- in some intentional pattern -- "and you must (or should) believe that, too". We have some posters here whose posts consist almost entirely of bible passages. To me, that's proselytizing. I'm not talking about the occasional posting of a bible passage...I'm talking about a pattern.

I'm a Buddhist, and occasionally I talk about that. I don't quote the Tipitaka more than just very occasionally. I don't believe I have ever told anyone on this forum or outside this forum that they should become Buddhist. I usually will answer questions that are asked, if I can. I might refer someone to a website, if they ask some particular question. Over the years I have had a handful of people ask me to take them to "my" Buddhist temple. Some I have taken, some I have not. I have never suggested to anyone that I take them to the temple.

When a christian says to me, "If you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you're going to hell"...that's a paramount example of proselytizing.

Most of the christians on this forum do not proselytize, in my opinion. A very few do.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:38 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,995,283 times
On the topic of better answers than science, it's interesting to note that in the early days, how many clergymen made significant scientific advances. It wasn't religion itself giving science answers though.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:44 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

In the end, it doesn't matter. The forum operates the way it is. Anybody can come post here as long as they adhere to the rules.
As long as you have rules that belie the bold, you are lying, mensa. I am a Christian Panentheist and your rule specifically discriminates against me and seeks to restrict my posting to a single thread and not on ANY topic as the atheists can.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:46 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,608,117 times
It laughable when a christian in the USA cry’s discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality