Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2022, 10:22 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've noticed how you can tell a lot from what others might consider rather innocent and inconsequential. Then again we all know how this sort of tactic works as well. We all well know how you probably think along these lines anyway. Nice that a word like "butthurt" doesn't offend you, but is it not a little offensive to suggest what you do about where other people's "mind dwells" simply from the use of such a word? Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill!
Sure it is offensive. But it only happens because when you advice someone that it is a good word to call someone.Such use of words a bit school boyish, no? Dont throw stones that can be picked up and thrown right back at you. No crying after that. Didnt you learn that in school, LearnMe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 10:24 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Thanks, but as we see here yet again, one is entitled to make any claim in this forum regardless whether true or false. Just like everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
But it's always fun to see a religious person who tries to portray themselves as a font of morality to then lie in their posts.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:21 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
You should not use words like butthurt. That offends people like Gldn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I know right? According to him, I'm the devil incarnate. Can't help that he gets "butthurt".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
When our narcissist gets that desperate for a response, do not feed it. They hate that.
What do call that foolish, childish stuff ^^^ above.
That's indicative of the mentality of some here.
What does that puerility have to do with Religion and Spirituality, the thread, or anything else? Well...other than to show me where their mind is at.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:22 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
This is the ONE thing you don't want to be wrong about and spend all eternity regretting it. Jesus is the Savior of the world, the Messiah as was promised all through the Old Testament. Please don't refuse to be forgiven. Jesus paid for your sins and mine, but the forgiveness isn't yours until you receive Him as your Lord and Savior. So I guess the question I would ask an atheist is why would you refuse the love of the One Who gave His life for you?
Hi Nancy, thanks for the question. I used to believe this. I was just like you. I probably still am, the only difference is I feel differently about there being any deities now. I am not rejecting your belief or that you really feel secure in it. I just reject the idea of a god, but not your belief. Some suggest that a religious person who has 'lost their religion" so to speak, are just denying god. Nope, can't deny something that you are pretty positive (I do not claim absolute knowledge that there isn't) can't be real. I'm just on a different path now. It's what works for me.

I definitely don't want to be wrong about anything you believe, but the difference is I don't believe so I can't in good conscience go back to something I don't think is real. That would make me a hypocrite. Besides, I really do need some kind of evidence to have faith in a god anymore. Even a personal experience in the spiritual way may change my mind. It is what it is. But what it isn't, is disparaging. Not from me. I make jokes and seem irreverent but I'm really not. I do have respect for others beliefs as long as I'm given the same kind of consideration of my non-belief.

I don't know if you read any of the rest of the thread but the constant bickering and back & forth is basically what has always happened in this forum. We're all so sure about our belief/non-belief that it is inevitable. To me, this thread was created sort of selfishly because I wanted to learn. Religion still fascinates me and why it is so prevalent. It wasn't so much that I felt I needed to answer people's questions, I really wanted to hear everyone's story, but because a well-intentioned thread, albeit selfish and a little naïve, was hijacked by hecklers, who claim religion, but are really nothing what they claim according to their posts.. Now that's hypocritical.

So, the short answer is that I really like the Jesus character, but to me he's just that; a character in the bible that was created as a guide to living life with love, not hate. Although, there are scriptures that refer to Jesus hating some and getting angry. Those are human attributes. If there were a god, his son (that's another thing that boggles the mind since he's human, the "holy trinity") would NOT do or say things like that. That is not a fact, ok, it's just what I think.

I didn't choose atheism, it's where I landed after a long journey out of Fundamentalism. You know it's not the most popular position. Why would I choose the headaches of atheism that come along with living amongst uber religious people? Everyone is religious in Hickville. Most of my family doesn't even know I'm an agnostic atheist. Why? Well, it's not because I'm afraid or ashamed. I don't like confrontations (in person)and I will speak up when I'm told I'm going to some place to burn for all of eternity. Otherwise, I don't let on that I am an atheist because I don't want to hear that or any other negative stuff.

I don't know if all of this answered your question but it's the best I can do. Thanks again Nancy, tell us about you?

Old 08-31-2022, 11:28 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Hi Nancy, thanks for the question. I used to believe this. I was just like you. I probably still am, the only difference is I feel differently about there being any deities now. I am not rejecting your belief or that you really feel secure in it. I just reject the idea of a god, but not your belief. Some suggest that a religious person who has 'lost their religion" so to speak, are just denying god. Nope, can't deny something that you are pretty positive (I do not claim absolute knowledge that there isn't) can't be real. I'm just on a different path now. It's what works for me.

I definitely don't want to be wrong about anything you believe, but the difference is I don't believe so I can't in good conscience go back to something I don't think is real. That would make me a hypocrite. Besides, I really do need some kind of evidence to have faith in a god anymore. Even a personal experience in the spiritual way may change my mind. It is what it is. But what it isn't, is disparaging. Not from me. I make jokes and seem irreverent but I'm really not. I do have respect for others beliefs as long as I'm given the same kind of consideration of my non-belief.

I don't know if you read any of the rest of the thread but the constant bickering and back & forth is basically what has always happened in this forum. We're all so sure about our belief/non-belief that it is inevitable. To me, this thread was created sort of selfishly because I wanted to learn. Religion still fascinates me and why it is so prevalent. It wasn't so much that I felt I needed to answer people's questions, I really wanted to hear everyone's story, but because a well-intentioned thread, albeit selfish and a little naïve, was hijacked by hecklers, who claim religion, but are really nothing what they claim according to their posts.. Now that's hypocritical.

So, the short answer is that I really like the Jesus character, but to me he's just that; a character in the bible that was created as a guide to living life with love, not hate. Although, there are scriptures that refer to Jesus hating some and getting angry. Those are human attributes. If there were a god, his son (that's another thing that boggles the mind since he's human, the "holy trinity") would NOT do or say things like that. That is not a fact, ok, it's just what I think.

I didn't choose atheism, it's where I landed after a long journey out of Fundamentalism. You know it's not the most popular position. Why would I choose the headaches of atheism that come along with living amongst uber religious people? Everyone is religious in Hickville. Most of my family doesn't even know I'm an agnostic atheist. Why? Well, it's not because I'm afraid or ashamed. I don't like confrontations (in person)and I will speak up when I'm told I'm going to some place to burn for all of eternity. Otherwise, I don't let on that I am an atheist because I don't want to hear that or any other negative stuff.

I don't know if all of this answered your question but it's the best I can do. Thanks again Nancy, tell us about you?
What Nancy doesn't understand is that we think she's wrong.

What if she's wrong and the right answer is Buddhism?
What if she's wrong and the right answer is Islam?
What if she's wrong and the right answer is Hinduism?
And so on...

Old 08-31-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Please DO join some of the rest of us who are doing our best not to draw anymore attention to the ongoing repetition, because it just seems to generate more repetition. Some of us want a little better than that from this forum.

To that end, back to the topic and/or title of this thread. Does anyone know why it's "Ask an atheist...?" Rather than "Ask an atheist."

Is this thread actually about whether an atheist should be asked something in the first place? Is that the question?
I did that deliberately with the question mark. It should have been, "Tell an Atheist what you believe and Let's talk about it civilly". Haha that made me laugh. The bolded is absolutely correct. The question mark was to indicate that a person does not have to participate if they don't want to, although that's what I wanted was participation, just not the negative kind. Oh well.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What Nancy doesn't understand is that we think she's wrong.

What if she's wrong and the right answer is Buddhism?
What if she's wrong and the right answer is Islam?
What if she's wrong and the right answer is Hinduism?
And so on...
I get that, but aren't we done yet telling each other "you're wrong"? I agree that Christianity is NOT the right answer and I see your point. I hope we are all wrong. IN that case god gets the last laugh.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:01 PM

88 posts, read 33,470 times
Ask an atheist...?-babies-2.jpg
The Peewee Division of American Atheists holds its semiannual meeting.

Baby Freddy was heard to utter his first words: "I don't beweeve in woo woo, do oo?"

Mama Atheist, who's never given a thought to the existence of God, was thrilled.

Adios, insane clown posse.

Lovingly, or maybe not,
Zonked
Irkle Berserkle
The Venerable Bede
Little Bo Peep
And the whole gang, not all of whose names I can remember

Old 08-31-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Please DO join some of the rest of us who are doing our best not to draw anymore attention to the ongoing repetition, because it just seems to generate more repetition. Some of us want a little better than that from this forum.

To that end, back to the topic and/or title of this thread. Does anyone know why it's "Ask an atheist...?" Rather than "Ask an atheist."

Is this thread actually about whether an atheist should be asked something in the first place? Is that the question?
*sigh* Please DO realize he was on ignore but I took him off. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a liar. He was and still is still telling lies about all atheists here on the board and just in general. Everyone kept quoting him anyway to argue with him so I was still seeing his posts. If your way to deal with a flaming hot topic is to come in and condemn how some one else (not you, of course) handles themselves when they come up against phony boloney bs'er's then.....why are you here again? To prove how diplomatic you are?

See what I did there? Want me to ask more questions or answer some? Can I possibly do this all day long?

Answer: YES

Old 08-31-2022, 12:23 PM

OH dear, it looks as though Zonked has been forced to fly the coop. Adios newbie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality