Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 10:43 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,811,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
One thing is for sure: if Christianity were the true religion its god would make every effort to bring us to the knowledge of Jesus. But this god Yahweh makes no effort at all. It's as if.....he doesn't even exist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The Bible, churches, evangelists?
Quote:
Remember, there were thousands of temples to Zeus and even more oracles who prophesied in his name and even more people who believed in him, jimmie, and you would be the first to acknowledge Zeus is mythical. How is it any different with Yahweh?
You’re changing the subject. You said the Christian god made no effort to be known. He spoke to the prophets, came in the form of Jesus, gave us scripture, evangelists, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 11:19 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You really don't see the parallels???
I'm seeing what Northsouth posts and doing my best to understand what she writes. I'm not as good at extrapolating, stretching or seeing all you do in addition. Including the parallels, but I think Northsouth does well enough without my needing your help for further translation or interpretation. Thanks as always.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Ok, ok but I'm not wrong about you. You're one of my favorite posters because you are calmer, nicer, and you do seem to get me better than others. I've always been in defensive mode but I had to be. Ready to pounce and use my super powers because I would jump to conclusions. I know right? That doesn't sound like me at all!

Since you know who didn't use any names, I'm sure he's going to say that I'm wrong. He was just speaking "in general".

If he has any interest in or questions about my REAL story and not what he thinks is so true about me he should ask - who was that? OH, me. Watch what you say on here folks, it will most definitely be used against you in the future. It's less than truthful what he is always "implying" about me. He's taking the cowardly way out and posting "generalities" about alcoholics and proposing that they have no right to be heard because they're probably drunk. I say cowardly because he's not addressing me directly.

It's ok other person, I'm just a girl. And you're being mean. Oh, I haven't hit that button yet but my finger is tapping it. But the button doesn't really help when others are quoting you. You should realize your mistakes and apologize. That's how it works with folks without a large head.

You're fine LearnMe, you'll notice I sometimes address other situations in posts that have nothing to do with it. Thanks for the response.
Okay. Sure wish I had super powers...

Old 08-03-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hey thanks for that, I'll definitely check it out.
Yes. Thanks from me too, because I just finally finished reading this one; "The Great Sea: A Human History of the Mediterranean" by the British historian David Abulafia. As a result, I'm off to the library today to see about getting a book to read while doing some traveling in Canada very soon. Nothing like a good read.

Well nothing I can really comment about in mixed company anyway...

Old 08-03-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
One thing is for sure: if Christianity were the true religion its god would make every effort to bring us to the knowledge of Jesus. But this god Yahweh makes no effort at all. It's as if.....he doesn't even exist?
In the history book I just read and mentioned, it's rather amazing to read so much that went on around the Mediterranean Sea revolving around the competing efforts to establish the one true religion. Amazing history and an amazing prequel to how the world evolved to what it is today from a religious standpoint.

No doubt the "jury still out" with regard to establishing the one true religion. Not all that much different from 1,000 years ago in so many respects...

Old 08-03-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You’re changing the subject. You said the Christian god made no effort to be known. He spoke to the prophets, came in the form of Jesus, gave us scripture, evangelists, etc.
Not to butt in either and this is not advice but an honest recommendation you read the book I just commented about. It's a thick one with more detail than anyone could really want "a history of the Mediterranean Sea from 22,000 BC to the present time."

It's the history of lots of gods making all sorts of efforts or not making a show at all, to the great delight or horrible end of countless believers. Believers in all different gods, prophets, religions. A history that puts Christianity into better context than I think most people come to understand. "A great sea" of context that defies the imagination, and another reminder that "the truth is indeed stranger than fiction."

Old 08-04-2022, 12:14 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,060,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have actually experienced all these things (except having children, but my wife is also an atheist and bore two children). I simply don't find god a necessary explanation for them.

It is a common fallacy that atheists are sourpusses and hate life and everything and everyone. That is just a failure of imagination (and sometimes, projection!) on the part of theists. As i write this, my wife and both our dogs are next to me and my stepson is across the room and the sunlight after a storm is filtering in the room and all is well with the world in this moment.
I have some atheist friends, and of course anyone that is on the earth living their lives have wonderful days and enjoying life. You have emotions too. The difference is that your coincidences are my miracles. My outlook on life and death are different. It's not just "Lights Out" forever. What a horrible, empty, sad thought that once you die that's just it. Doesn't make sense. We weren't put here to have the emotions and feelings that we do, just to have "lights out" when it's over. That's a horrible depressing thought and I'm so glad that I don't believe that.

I don't and have never found Atheists to hate life or be miserable at all. We just have different beliefs and that's OK. Live and let live.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:30 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
I have some atheist friends, and of course anyone that is on the earth living their lives have wonderful days and enjoying life. You have emotions too. The difference is that your coincidences are my miracles. My outlook on life and death are different. It's not just "Lights Out" forever. What a horrible, empty, sad thought that once you die that's just it. Doesn't make sense. We weren't put here to have the emotions and feelings that we do, just to have "lights out" when it's over. That's a horrible depressing thought and I'm so glad that I don't believe that.

I don't and have never found Atheists to hate life or be miserable at all. We just have different beliefs and that's OK. Live and let live.
And not all religions or religious folks believe in an afterlife. A more depressing idea us that you may be punished for eternal time or that you are a sinner. For me that is a very depressing thought. Each to their own.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:33 PM

5,908 posts, read 3,802,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And not all religions or religious folks believe in an afterlife. A more depressing idea us that you may be punished for eternal time or that you are a sinner. For me that is a very depressing thought. Each to their own.
To the bolded; it is and was for me too. I was always so afraid of death until I became an atheist.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:39 PM

22,307 posts, read 19,272,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
regarding bold above,
not all religions have that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality