Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 11:50 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I will always point out that on September 11, thousands of people in my immediate vicinity died, and they were Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, atheists, and who else knows what. Same with the ones who lived. There was no advantage or disadvantage based on what you believed, only a matter of where you were at a given moment and what you did, if you had a choice.
Military counter--strikes that target inner-city objectives in diverse areas don't discriminate as to the race/ethnicity/gender/religion/age/etc of those it takes out.
Same as when you drop bombs or carry out missile strikes on a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 12:08 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
The best foxhole story I ever read was an interview with a WWII vet around the 50th anniversary of one of the major battles. The man was in Europe in a trench. All night men around him were being hit and killed by the relenting barrage of ammunition. He ran out of ammo himself and just laid down in the ditch, waiting to get hit and die. The night went on, and then, all of a sudden, he realized something was changing. It was getting light. He peeked up out of his hole and saw the sun rising, and he said at that moment, it hit him that the sun was going to rise and set whether he was alive or dead, and in that moment he lost all fear of death with the realization of how insignificant he was.

No mention of religion, but that story stuck with me.
I love that story. I'm saving it for when that age old foxhole thing comes up again.

Quote:
I will always point out that on September 11, thousands of people in my immediate vicinity died, and they were Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, atheists, and who else knows what. Same with the ones who lived. There was no advantage or disadvantage based on what you believed, only a matter of where you were at a given moment and what you did, if you had a choice.
My cat could even make sense out of the above, I don't know why we constantly put forth these profound statements and then don't get credit for them.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:43 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I love that story. I'm saving it for when that age old foxhole thing comes up again.

My cat could even make sense out of the above, I don't know why we constantly put forth these profound statements and then don't get credit for them.
Every year on the anniversary I republish my expanded thoughts on the above on FB and LinkedIn, and it always gets shared. . I will be sure to get it to your cat next month!

Old 08-05-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Every year on the anniversary I republish my expanded thoughts on the above on FB and LinkedIn, and it always gets shared. . I will be sure to get it to your cat next month!
LOL

Old 08-05-2022, 08:32 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
LinkedIn....hmmm...I got an email from them this week saying my career was really taking off! I retired in 2008.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:36 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
post above = condescending
then that describes the post which i responded to,
shown here:

Quote:
No religion for me, thanks. I don't need the crutch, the burden or the twisted thinking, controlling the masses with fear - not to mention that little thing called proof. I'm not sure what your religion is exactly but I want no part of it.
condescending = "showing or characterized by a patronizing or superior attitude toward others" "having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority" "treating someone as if you are more important or more intelligent than them"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-06-2022 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-06-2022, 03:10 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaphkiel View Post
shown here:

Condescending = "showing or characterized by a patronizing or superior attitude toward others" "having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority" "treating someone as if you are more important or more intelligent than them"
qed

Old 08-06-2022, 08:08 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
shown here:

condescending = "showing or characterized by a patronizing or superior attitude toward others" "having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority" "treating someone as if you are more important or more intelligent than them"
plank - eye

Old 08-06-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
qed
"QED means you've proven something. It's pretentious to use it when you're not discussing a proof, and embarrassing to use it you're just ranting and not even remotely proving anything."

I'd say that describes the poster you responded to.

Are you saying that poster proved something? Read the rest of the sentence above. She has no proof, no manners and is definitely embarrassing herself.

Unless you were talking about me, then yes, I am proving in spades what a hypocrite he is or she is and that she has no proof of a god's existence. The rest of what she says is unimportant because it's not even true.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:26 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Where did that poster prove anything? Read the rest of the sentence. He has no proof and no manners.
They were called condescending, and they proved that analysis was correct by describing what condescending meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality