Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 10:41 AM

5,918 posts, read 3,819,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Is it just me or does it feel like it's getting warmer in here?

We had a rare surprise burst of summer rain here yesterday but not enough to help us with these drought conditions. Weird to see how in other parts of the country the flooding due to way too much rain is causing so much pain and suffering to others. Again reminding me how we live in something of a bubble here along the Monterey Bay where we've got it too good in a good many ways. Very lucky beyond what I deserve. So far anyway. Knock on wood...
This. Perfect. Thank you. The drought here is getting worse. They keep calling for afternoon thundershowers nearly every day. We get the thunder but no rain. But, this is not unusual this time of year, it really is beautiful and green when the doves cry.

Where you live sounds fantastic! We do have 4 seasons but it seems like summer lasts 9 out of 12 months. Thank you ever so much Mr. Willis Carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 11:19 AM

64,036 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
My apologies as it seems my efforts to have you stay have back-fired some, but I think you are wrong about me too!
<snip>
You really don't see the parallels???

Old 08-02-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
My apologies as it seems my efforts to have you stay have back-fired some, but I think you are wrong about me too!

Perhaps I haven't been at it for as long as you have, but I think I've demonstrated some "back bone" if by this you mean to counter bad arguments and wrong thinking, along with a good many other comments of the lesser sort. I've done my best along those lines, and I've tried to explain my thinking and rationale in ways that go well beyond simple say so. I'm not always successful, and I'm not trying to be condescending or any of that here either, but of course all of us being the somewhat ego-centric people that we are, there is no telling how some people will react to any comment.

I try not to let any of that get under my skin either, and perhaps I'll just stick to what I think works for me. You can kick me in the teeth either way for whatever reasons you may have as well.

This is not meant to be advice or condescending either; just don't stop being you. Sincerely -- LM
Ok, ok but I'm not wrong about you. You're one of my favorite posters because you are calmer, nicer, and you do seem to get me better than others. I've always been in defensive mode but I had to be. Ready to pounce and use my super powers because I would jump to conclusions. I know right? That doesn't sound like me at all!

Since you know who didn't use any names, I'm sure he's going to say that I'm wrong. He was just speaking "in general".

If he has any interest in or questions about my REAL story and not what he thinks is so true about me he should ask - who was that? OH, me. Watch what you say on here folks, it will most definitely be used against you in the future. It's less than truthful what he is always "implying" about me. He's taking the cowardly way out and posting "generalities" about alcoholics and proposing that they have no right to be heard because they're probably drunk. I say cowardly because he's not addressing me directly.

It's ok other person, I'm just a girl. And you're being mean. Oh, I haven't hit that button yet but my finger is tapping it. But the button doesn't really help when others are quoting you. You should realize your mistakes and apologize. That's how it works with folks without a large head.

You're fine LearnMe, you'll notice I sometimes address other situations in posts that have nothing to do with it. Thanks for the response.

Last edited by Northsouth; 08-02-2022 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Edit to add, 3 times

Old 08-02-2022, 06:23 PM

22,739 posts, read 19,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You're preaching to the choir LearnMe. I've been here for 16 years, I think I might know these posters better than you. If you don't stand up to these people they take over. They already have basically, in one year's time while I was gone. I am tired - tired of posts like yours that are condescending and just plain not true. You don't know me and you certainly don't have any right to criticize or school me about anything. If you don't like me and my posts well.......click. I've stated over and over again what my intentions are here and those who are here to argue and cause trouble need to be schooled so why don't you go "school" them, LearnMe. Have some backbone. I have put a couple of people on ignore simply because if they can't argue with me, they will move along and start harassing the newbies, which I admit, makes me angry because they never come back. I attract madness and weirdness. And yes, it is because I don't take their crap, because I'm right most of the time and that chaps their hide ergo.....the attempts to break me and take me down. Make me disappear for another year. Yeah, it's just a discussion board and I'm wasting my time, right? Have you ever looked at the numbers to see the amount of posts in a thread vs. how many people have read it? There are lots of people reading and watching for someone to stand up to these bullies. I'm your girl.

Also something that is a Buddhist saying:
“Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace"
One word. That's all these dirt bags need to do
is be nice and stop their whining and complaining.

It is heartbreaking to see so many unhappy people that want to bring others down with them to that pit of misery. Think I'm being harsh? Too bad. If their kind of behavior is something you want to ignore and hide from, use the ignore button. But don't be coming at me with your self-righteousness and then try to say I'm the one whose wrong, but I like your thread. If that's not hypocritical I don't know what is. Not fighting or arguing with you just stating the facts. I make everyone cringe and get mad so what you're seeing in my posts is me trying to stop the insanity so we CAN have decent, civil conversations. If everyone would just click that button, then they wouldn't have anyone to argue with. Then hopefully move on to another thread where there will be someone like me doing the same thing I'm doing.....cleaning house.
perhaps consider the bold above.

because calling people "dirt bags" (a) does not 'bring peace,' (b) nor is it 'decent civil conversation'

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-02-2022 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-02-2022, 06:57 PM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
I found it, it's from 2009.
One Second After
One Second After is a 2009 novel by American writer William R. Forstchen. The novel deals with an unexpected electromagnetic pulse attack on the United States as it affects the people living in and around the small American town of Black Mountain, North Carolina.
Hey thanks for that, I'll definitely check it out.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:11 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,999,442 times
Quote:
Just putting it out there for those who are afraid to or don't want to venture into the A&A, but still have questions.

I'll start. I wasn't always an atheist, in fact, I was quite the opposite. Questions and doubts had me searching for answers wherever I could find them. Well, I didn't find answers. There are none. There's no proof to be had from the Christianity side of things. It's all conjecture and wishful thinking. This is just my findings, so don't get offended.

I had entered the A&A forum several times, arguing my points as a Christian. As a doubter, I wanted to really listen to them and hear what they had to say. I had never known an atheist because in my religion they were to be shunned because they were more or less evil and it would create doubts. No, I already had doubts and I wanted to know why someone would choose evil over good.

Its' actually funny to me now how my indoctrination had made me think anyone who didn't believe in god is evil. I listened to atheists, I argued some more and eventually I came to Universalism, briefly. It sounded more plausible but it still didn't make much sense. It was a long process of letting go of preconceived notions and lies. These atheists were cool and super smart, and no agenda!

Now, I am an "agnostic atheist" which means I lean more towards there not being a god. Other agnostics simply admit they don't know, some atheists demand that there isn't a god. We're all different but agree on one thing that does not require "faith", as some people are claiming, it's simply just dis-belief due to lack of evidence.

Please, let's keep it civil and not let it turn into a free-for-all mud-slinging contest.

One thing is for sure: if Christianity were the true religion its god would make every effort to bring us to the knowledge of Jesus. But this god Yahweh makes no effort at all. It's as if.....he doesn't even exist?

Old 08-02-2022, 08:54 PM

20,461 posts, read 12,854,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
One thing is for sure: if Christianity were the true religion its god would make every effort to bring us to the knowledge of Jesus. But this god Yahweh makes no effort at all. It's as if.....he doesn't even exist?
The Bible, churches, evangelists?

Old 08-02-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Don't want to butt in here but I'm curious as to what you mean.

It's not very clear.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:38 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,999,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Remember, there were thousands of temples to Zeus and even more oracles who prophesied in his name and even more people who believed in him, jimmie, and you would be the first to acknowledge Zeus is mythical. How is it any different with Yahweh?

Old 08-03-2022, 10:21 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Again...you use your limited (and deemed low-level) understanding to claim you know "for sure what God would make every effort" to do.
How would YOU know, "for sure", what God would or wouldn't do?
How arrogant and hubristic can ya get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality