Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2022, 05:21 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
Mordant doesn't know what he is talking about and it doesn't matter how many classes he took.
He appears to be quite knowledgeable about the Bible and Christianity, even if he disagrees with you on some points.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:25 PM

4,085 posts, read 872,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First of all, stick to my actual questions this time, which I'll repeat for you:
Stop acting like I did something wrong and trying to put me on the defensive.

Quote:
I'm no bible expert, but I don't remember god ever using the word "college".
The word 'college' doesn't have to be used to get the message. Do you really not understand that?

Quote:
What was the educational background of Moses and each of the apostles. Please...be specific.

And tell me which of your claims are well documented.
I gave scriptures.

Let's talk about the scriptures I gave.

Quote:

Education is dung"?
That is what Paul calls all his great education.

Quote:

You prefer that people be not wise?
Wisdom from God does not come from going to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 05:26 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
i would say that an atheist is not knowledgeable about God.
at all.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
He appears to be quite knowledgeable about the Bible and Christianity, even if he disagrees with you on some points.
You like coming to his defense, even though he has been talking wrong to your other member?

Old 12-12-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
at all.
Right on exactly right on.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:44 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
So, we need to listen to the expertise, knowledge, and experience from the actual 'tongue-speakers', eh? Unfortunately, these folks are the very ones who lack credibility as far as the Bible is concerned.

The very word 'tongues' is what causes many Christians to associate this word with something 'supernatural'. Speaking a different language or one's learning to speak a different language has nothing to do with the supernatural. To be crystal clear, "tongue"="language" as per the Bible. Nothing other. If what we hear (generally within Pentecostal circles or from those who claim a 'prayer language') IS NOT 'an acknowledged language of the world', then it is, pure and simple, 'babble'.

As for the studies on 'tongues' you raise elsewhere, I'm always suspicious of 'studies' and as to 'who' is behind initiating such studies in the first place. Very often studies are biased from the start and the results are often determined before 'the study' even begins. That said, how CAN a study on 'babble' be legitimately conducted anyway unless the result determines ..."Yes, this IS most definitely authentic babble" . . .?
if you want to know how the research studies on glossolalia are performed, and the credentials of the researchers,
then that information is available at the links provided to the research studies. The studies cited are published in peer-reviewed scientific publications.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:54 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
asking a specific individual who is posting, how many courses that person has taken at college in a specific subject, is asking for personal information, and is directed at and targeting a specific individual posting.

the same question was repeatedly asked targeting the same person four times, in post #235 and in post #239 and in post #198 and in post #226.
and there was no requirement -- even from a moderator -- to answer it.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
Stop acting like I did something wrong and trying to put me on the defensive.

The word 'college' doesn't have to be used to get the message. Do you really not understand that?

I gave scriptures.

Let's talk about the scriptures I gave.

That is what Paul calls all his great education.

Wisdom from God does not come from going to college.
You mentioned 'college'.

I didn't ask you about scriptures. I asked you to verify the high level of education that you said the apostles had. I asked you to be specific. You failed.

And I can say that wisdom comes from Lord Buddha. Does that make it so?
A Muslim can say that wisdom comes from Muhammad. Does that make it so?

You seem believe that a college education is "dung". Pathetic.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
at all.
I would say that a woo-ist is not knowledgeable about atheism.

In the same vein as your post, I could say that a non-Buddhist is not knowledgeable about Buddhism.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:29 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Quote:
The formal term for "speaking in tongues" is glossolalia and research has shown distinct brain wave patterns which differ from say, religious singing or meditation. This Science article is an example of brainwave research on glossolalia.

And for those who go to the knee jerk reaction of "it's gibberish" based on nothing more than ignorance and crude insults, this National Library of Medicine research shows:

"In a seminal cross-cultural study [Samarin 1972] demonstrated that glossolalic speech is not a random and disorganized production of sounds: it is characterized by specific accent, intonation, and word-like and sentence-like units consisting of syllables, consonants, and vowels, which are not radically different from the original language of the speaker [De Peza, 1996]. Glossolalia is a collectively accepted form of religious activity in contrast to language anomalies outside a cultural context."

In addition research confirms it has NOT been justified that glossolalia can be viewed as a form or a symptom of mental disorders. It is not indicative of a mental pathology: "For example, it has been shown that schizophasia (grossly disorganized and incoherent speech in schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders) is linguistically distinguishable from glossolalia [Samarin, 1973]. Also, glossolalists seem to display lower rates of depression (Spanos and Hewitt, 1979), less neuroticism, and higher emotional stability as compared to non-glossolalists with a similar cultural and religious background (Francis and Robbins, 2003), which is against the psychopathology hypothesis."
Did this study 'prove' that 'tongue-speakers' are speaking in a 'heavenly language'? Unless this WAS the finding from this or these so-called studies then they are a waste of time.

You see, those who 'speak in tongues' claim that they speak 'a heavenly language' or 'the language of angels'. How would those conducting such a 'study' even know where to begin to enable them to come up with a legitimate result? Was 'the Bible' even considered in the study? Was the fact that 'angelic tongues' came about from a passage of scripture that was not to be taken literally but was merely hyperbole? In other words, a study revolving around a MISINTERPRETATION of scripture?

As for 'tongue-speakers' displaying lower rates of depression, neuroticism, higher emotional stability as compared to 'non-tongue-speakers' ...how the heck could that be determined?? Did these studies involve 'tell the truth' Surveys conducted of a fairly large group of both 'tongue-speakers' and 'non-tongue-speakers' over a period of many months? This is the only way that lower rates of depression, neuroticism, higher emotional stability can be accurately determined. Even then, is it seriously suggested that the 'non-tongue-speakers' would make the claim that they DO suffer depression, neuroticism, emotional instability, etc. BY VIRTUE of the fact that they DON'T 'speak in tongues'?

These so-called 'studies' appear to be as phony as 'tongue-speaking' itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality