Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2023, 10:10 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
There are no words. That would be an insult to words. All I could say was "Leela". That's my one forced speaking in tongues word.
I'm wondering how those who claim to (ahem) 'speak in tongues' react when they see videos of the mocking kind such as that presented on the previous page. And, there are MANY such videos on YouTube to choose from.

The thing is, however, that whether 'tongues' be experienced by the hearer in a real-life 'church' situation or in videos such as the one presented, they ARE subject to mocking by virtue of their blatant phoniness. These charlatans are disturbing enough but their mindless congregations who are so enraptured by this stuff give even more cause for one to be disturbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 11:55 PM

Another thing. Of those who claim to have 'spoken in tongues' at one time but no longer do so, what possessed you to do so in the first place? Clearly it had nothing to do with the Holy Spirit, otherwise you would not have later 'wised up' and quit.

Claiming to have participated in this kind of stuff indicates something other than just having a nature of general gullibility like many of us do. Being gullible is one thing but actually putting oneself so intimately into something such as 'tongue-speaking' is another. How does this happen?

Thoughts?

* I may transfer the two previous posts to the other recent 'tongues' thread since the questions are just as valid.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:31 AM

23,138 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Lol, gullibility?

Now thats a riot.

Thanks. You dont know what you are talking about.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Lol, gullibility?

Now thats a riot.

Thanks. You dont know what you are talking about.
Well, hardly a riot, Hanni. And I all but dismissed 'gullibility' alone from this particular phenomenon of 'speaking in tongues'. Maybe a smidgin' of gullibility but I feel that it's something more than that - 'possession' perhaps? - and that's why I asked the question. Is that okay with you?

Old 06-22-2023, 07:47 AM

23,138 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well, hardly a riot, Hanni. And I all but dismissed 'gullibility' alone from this particular phenomenon of 'speaking in tongues'. Maybe a smidgin' of gullibility but I feel that it's something more than that - 'possession' perhaps? - and that's why I asked the question. Is that okay with you?
Romulus, few people ever veer from a religion they were raised in, Pentecostals are good people that I would pit againt any denomination and the Pentecostals would win in love and passion, and charity alone. They have a lot of passion for God and I believe they are a powerful force meant to be. My problem was guilt, at 5 years old I was convinced I would burn in hell, I was convinced that I would be tortured to death for being a homosexual. I went to church 120 days a year sitting under a fire breatheing preacher. I was gulible. I was weeping in guilt when I went on an alter call, at 5 I started speaking in tongues being led by Effie Oberhoff lol.

Through my life countless of people have prophesied over me, and although I am no Pentecostal, I still believe what was said to me.

Posession, in my opnion, you are possessed.

Galatians explains it to you, Romans explains it to you, Jacob and Esau is a good picture, but Galatians telling you that you are Ishmael and Isaac should confirm it to you, that you are two sons, not one, that you have two mothers, not one, and neither of those is your biological mother. That you have two laws, two natures.

Galatians says you have to kick that bondswoman and her son out of you and the entire book of Revelation is explaining how to do just that.

Everyone is posessed, but some people do something about it

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 06-22-2023 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 04:37 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Assembly of God, that's funny. That was the poisonous denomination of choice for the majority of my family. They lived and breathed it. It's so sad to me now, that all of my relatives were so indoctrinated and minds shut tighter than a virgin's legs. Ok, I could have left that part out. I just couldn't think of any other comparison.

I see why you use humor and sarcasm like I do. Folks here see it as irreverence and blasphemy and I say....how can you blaspheme something that doesn't exist? Or, I should say "I don't believe" that there is a god. I get tired of having to clarify things around here.

At least your family had the good sense to leave that insanity behind. I'm glad for you.
My posting style is sort of lazy but I realize I'm not going to change any minds on here so I might as well be as simplistic as possible and point out what I consider silly stuff.

Tongues is "silly stuff" but in the grand scheme of things it is pretty harmless behavior when taken by itself. When taken within the whole context of that culture, I sort of feel differently. But babbling doesn't hurt anybody.

What is funny to me is that many Christians who DON'T believe in tongues can be pretty concerned about people who do. Some consider it demonic activity and the like.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:38 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Lunatics trying to impress each other.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:29 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
My posting style is sort of lazy but I realize I'm not going to change any minds on here so I might as well be as simplistic as possible and point out what I consider silly stuff.

Tongues is "silly stuff" but in the grand scheme of things it is pretty harmless behavior when taken by itself. When taken within the whole context of that culture, I sort of feel differently. But babbling doesn't hurt anybody.

What is funny to me is that many Christians who DON'T believe in tongues can be pretty concerned about people who do. Some consider it demonic activity and the like.
Nope, can't change any minds one way or the other so I just basically call people out when it gets to where waders are needed. I'm here to flex my writing skills and enjoy it. How I do that is no one's concern except C-D's, the sarcasm, the jokes and jabs...oh and 'burns'....ok, maybe I enjoy chapping someone's hide now and then.

Sure, sure, but I spent my entire life as an AG fundamentalist and the things I have seen and heard should not be witnessed by small children. That is scary to a child. So, imo psycho-babble is very dangerous.

I think it's a thing that is rare now, except for the old school televangelists. Yes, that's exactly how some view speaking in tongues. And, it IS usually the 'other' denominations or religions claiming the tongue speakers have been possessed by their brand of a Satan.

You ever noticed how easy it is to type "Santa" instead of 'Satan'? Might be some correlation there.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Romulus, few people ever veer from a religion they were raised in, Pentecostals are good people that I would pit againt any denomination and the Pentecostals would win in love and passion, and charity alone. They have a lot of passion for God and I believe they are a powerful force meant to be. My problem was guilt, at 5 years old I was convinced I would burn in hell, I was convinced that I would be tortured to death for being a homosexual. I went to church 120 days a year sitting under a fire breatheing preacher. I was gulible. I was weeping in guilt when I went on an alter call, at 5 I started speaking in tongues being led by Effie Oberhoff lol.

Through my life countless of people have prophesied over me, and although I am no Pentecostal, I still believe what was said to me.

Posession, in my opnion, you are possessed.

Galatians explains it to you, Romans explains it to you, Jacob and Esau is a good picture, but Galatians telling you that you are Ishmael and Isaac should confirm it to you, that you are two sons, not one, that you have two mothers, not one, and neither of those is your biological mother. That you have two laws, two natures.

Galatians says you have to kick that bondswoman and her son out of you and the entire book of Revelation is explaining how to do just that.

Everyone is posessed, but some people do something about it
Well, Hanni, as is rather typical, most of what you say flies right over my head.

But thanks for the response.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I would think that the main concern of Christians is that 'tongue-speaking' invariably leads to other forms of insane behavior, behavior that puts 'Christianity in its entirety' into disrepute in the minds of many. How can anyone consider the following video as something to be passed off as being 'harmless'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mZ9UrGDMY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality