Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 12:28 PM

33,262 posts, read 26,470,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Not for everyone. I speak for all Christians in America, that part of the nation that is spiritual and separate from the state.
I am a Christian and you do NOT speak for me and don't ever presume that you do. When war is called for then I support it fully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 12:39 PM

492 posts, read 145,175 times
Christ did not come to bring peace upon the earth. Chirst came to bring the sword and division. What we are experiencing right now.

War has been a constant throughout all of human History. It is inevitable sooner or later. America's longest Peace time was from 1783 to 1812. Then it has been war after war after war.
Look it up.

Here is the Link-https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/factsheets/fs_americas_wars.pdf

American Revolution (1775-1783)
Total U.S. Servicemembers1 217,000
Battle Deaths 4,435
Non-mortal Woundings 6,188
War of 1812 (1812-1815)
Total U.S. Servicemembers 286,730
Battle Deaths 2,260
Non-mortal Woundings 4,505
Indian Wars (approx. 1817-1898)
Total U.S. Servicemembers (VA estimate) 106,000
Battle Deaths (VA estimate) 1,000
Mexican War (1846-1848)
Total U.S. Servicemembers 78,718
Battle Deaths 1,733
Other Deaths (In Theater) 11,550
Non-mortal Woundings 4,152
Civil War (1861-1865)
Total U.S. Servicemembers (Union) 2,213,363
Battle Deaths (Union) 140,414
Other Deaths (In Theater) (Union) 224,097
Non-mortal Woundings (Union) 281,881
Total Servicemembers (Conf.)
2 1,050,000
Battle Deaths (Confederate)
3 74,524
Other Deaths (In Theater) (Confederate)
3, 4 59,297
Non-mortal Woundings (Confederate) Unknown
Spanish-American War (1898-1902)
Total U.S. Servicemembers (Worldwide) 306,760
Battle Deaths 385
Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater) 2,061
Non-mortal Woundings 1,662
World War I (1917-1918)
Total U.S. Servicemembers (Worldwide) 4,734,991
Battle Deaths 53,402
Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater) 63,114
Non-mortal Woundings 204,002
World War II (1941 –1945)
Total U.S. Servicemembers (Worldwide) 16,112,566
Battle Deaths 291,557
Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater) 113,842
Non-mortal woundings 670,846
Living Veterans 5 389,000
2. Exact number is unknown. Posted figure is median of estimated
range from 600,000 – 1,500,000.
3. Death figures are based on incomplete returns.
4. Does not include 26,000 to 31,000 who died in Union prisons.
5. Estimate based upon new population projection methodology.
Source: Department of Defense (DOD), except living veterans, which
are VA estimates as of Sept. 2019
Korean War (1950-1953)
Total U.S. Servicemembers (Worldwide) 5,720,000
Total Serving (In Theater) 1,789,000
Battle Deaths 33,739
Other Deaths (In Theater) 2,835
Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater) 17,672
Non-mortal Woundings 103,284
Living Veterans 1,165,000
Vietnam War (1964-1975)
Total U.S. Servicemembers (Worldwide)
6 8,744,000
Deployed to Southeast Asia 7 3,403,000
Battle Deaths 8 47,434
Other Deaths (In Theater)
8 10,786
Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater)
8 32,000
Non-mortal Woundings 9 153,303
Living Veterans 5, 10 6,262,000
Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1990-1991)
Total U.S. Servicemembers (Worldwide) 2,225,000
Deployed to Gulf 694,550
Battle Deaths 148
Other Deaths (In Theater) 235
Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater) 1,565
Non-mortal Woundings 467
Living Veterans 5, 10 1,680,000
America’s Wars Total (1775 -1991)
U.S. Military Service during Wartime 41,892,128
Battle Deaths 651,031
Other Deaths (In Theater) 308,800
Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater) 230,254
Non-mortal woundings 1,430,290
Living War Veterans11 14,918,000
Living Veterans (Periods of War & Peace) 19,210,000
Global War on Terror (Oct 2001 - )
The Global War on Terror (GWOT), including Operati

Old 02-11-2023, 12:58 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Please remember that you are posting in the Religion and Spirituality forum, and posts should reflect that.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:11 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I am a Christian and you do NOT speak for me and don't ever presume that you do. When war is called for then I support it fully.
Good for you. And, as a Buddhist, I agree with you. There are -- sad to say -- necessary wars.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:57 AM

1,757 posts, read 756,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Good for you. And, as a Buddhist, I agree with you. There are -- sad to say -- necessary wars.
But we could probably find common ground that there are at least too many unnecessary wars...perhaps? Maybe even that we spend too much money on military including foreign military bases while we let our poor go unattended to in a way that our religious teachings shouldn't allow.

Old 02-12-2023, 07:24 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
But we could probably find common ground that there are at least too many unnecessary wars...perhaps? Maybe even that we spend too much money on military including foreign military bases while we let our poor go unattended to in a way that our religious teachings shouldn't allow.
Wars are good for US economy. The military industrial complex contributes a lot to politicians of both parties. Raytheon has scooped up a whole lot of profit from the Ukraine war. Who holds Raytheon shares? No, we will never not start wars, not send our drones out to kill civilians as “collateral damage”, send our poor ypung men and women out to die or return physically and emotionally damaged to keep our economy humming. This is a damage to our spirituality and religious beliefs.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:12 AM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
My statement implies that there are unjust and unnecessary wars.
Do we spend too much money on the military? I don't know. Or is it that that keeps us relatively safe?
If we spent half as much on the military this year as last, do you really think the money would be shifted to the poor? No.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
How can we teach our children that violence is not the answer in their own lives, when we endorse a government that is so quick to use violence to handle its own disputes?
There are occasions when violence is the only answer. Your bible even says so.

Regardless, thanks for admitting that your god-thing is fallible and makes mistakes for which he recants.

Quote:
"Thou shalt not kill."
That is incorrect.

Classical Biblical Hebrew (CBH) makes no differentiation between formal and informal addresses.

German does. I used Sie and the Sie conjugation of verbs when speaking to colleagues. One day drinking beers in the bowing alley with Tommy Luhmann and Peter Regenhart, Tommy said, "Hey, let's say Du to each other" so from that point on I used Du and the Du verb form.

In Romanian, we have formal, semi-formal, and informal. Unless you want to be ignored or get slapped in the face, you address people you don't know using dumnevoastra and the formal form of the verb. For colleagues and peers of your own age you can get by with the semi-formal, like "Dumneata, imi pare bine" which is what I said to my wife the first time I met her. For family and friends, you use tu and the tu conjugation.

Olde English and Middle English had formal and informal, but modern English does not.

That makes the use of "Thou" linguistically wrong and inappropriate.

CBH has no verb tense. For example, all of the following are correct translations of Genesis 6:3

1) ...his days were 120 shars
2) ...his days are 120 shars
3) ...his days will be 120 shars

Since #2 and #3 are nonsensical, the correct translation and interpretation is "...his days were 120 shars."

A shar is 3,600 years. What the writer was conveying is that humans had been around for 432,000 years before the Deluge and note that Deluge is the only correct translation and interpretation, making the idiotic "Flood" just plain wrong.

It isn't enough to merely translate. It has to be interpreted as well. For example MAFIA: Muerte alle Francia Italia alia.

"Die all French Italians cry" is the literal translation but the best interpretation would be: Death to the French is the cry of the Italians. That dates back to the days of the wars between the French and the Italian city-states over the Riviera.

"Kill" is also the wrong translation and interpretation. If you don't understand the construct of Semitic languages, then you need to learn.

Bibles prior to 1968 correctly used the word "murder."

What happened in 1968? Black churches condemned both the draft and the Vietnam War. Then White churches jumped on the band-wagon and then bibles started spewing the politicized propaganda version with "kill."

Come to think of it, how is it that Black churches got the message from Jesus before the White churches? Maybe Black churches are doing it right and the only true religions?

The correct translation and interpretation is: You will not murder.

Quote:
Quaker Norman Morrison set fire to himself to protest the Vietnam War, killing himself and leaving behind children.
And that accomplished what, exactly?

Aside from creating a big mess and costing lots of money to clean up, nothing happened very slowly.

No doubt, he was emotionally disturbed.

Quote:
A very long time ago, in 2019, I had attended a drone strike protest....only a few people showed up and I was the only one with a sign focusing on the religious reasons for our government to not behave in such a way.
What a waste of time.

Your time would have been better spent organizing and lobbying for a constitutional amendment to limit campaign contributions to eligible voters.

Yes, that means that since no organization of any kind can vote, they could never contribute a dime to any elected official.

It also means that people like Bill Gates and George Sorass and the Kook Brothers could only contribute money to those candidates they are eligible to cast votes and since none of them live in Ohio, none of them could ever give any money to any candidate in Ohio.

Or, you could have campaigned for a candidate that would actually bring about change instead of just giving lip service. Then again, that candidate would probably need campaign money and they'll never get it from organizations or people like Bill Gates or George Sorass or the Kook Brothers.

Oh, wait...I get why you would never do anything to actually effect real change:

Romans 13:1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which the Jesus-thing has established. The authorities that exist have been established by the Jesus-thing.Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what the Jesus-thing has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Now, why would an enlightened being who was benevolent and supposedly loved humans subject them to dictatorial authoritarian rule and a social class structure that treated people unequally?

You know what?

By protesting, you just went against Jesus.

Maybe you should just hide out in a church or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because there are bad people all over the world who want to kill Americans.
And they want to kill Americans to stop Americans from stealing their country's wealth and resources while simultaneously leaving them with a very bad dictator in charge of everything who will happily give away their country's wealth and resources to Americans.

Refer to one of the 613 commandments, specifically: You will not steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are also bad Americans who have killed people all over the world. No one is killing Americans just because they are Americans.
That's exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I would like to see a link to support those numbers, too. Facts are important. The link in that paragraph is about a few hundred people being killed by drone strikes during the Obama administration, thereby obviously dated.
There's no point since the Obama Administration publicly admitted it on more than one occasion. With the possible exception of Millard Fillmore, Obama did what all other Presidents have done. Granted, not all Presidents had access to drones, but they still sanctioned senseless killing.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:05 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There are occasions when violence is the only answer. Your bible even says so.

Regardless, thanks for admitting that your god-thing is fallible and makes mistakes for which he recants.

That is incorrect.

Classical Biblical Hebrew (CBH) makes no differentiation between formal and informal addresses.

German does. I used Sie and the Sie conjugation of verbs when speaking to colleagues. One day drinking beers in the bowing alley with Tommy Luhmann and Peter Regenhart, Tommy said, "Hey, let's say Du to each other" so from that point on I used Du and the Du verb form.

In Romanian, we have formal, semi-formal, and informal. Unless you want to be ignored or get slapped in the face, you address people you don't know using dumnevoastra and the formal form of the verb. For colleagues and peers of your own age you can get by with the semi-formal, like "Dumneata, imi pare bine" which is what I said to my wife the first time I met her. For family and friends, you use tu and the tu conjugation.

Olde English and Middle English had formal and informal, but modern English does not.

That makes the use of "Thou" linguistically wrong and inappropriate.

CBH has no verb tense. For example, all of the following are correct translations of Genesis 6:3

1) ...his days were 120 shars
2) ...his days are 120 shars
3) ...his days will be 120 shars

Since #2 and #3 are nonsensical, the correct translation and interpretation is "...his days were 120 shars."

A shar is 3,600 years. What the writer was conveying is that humans had been around for 432,000 years before the Deluge and note that Deluge is the only correct translation and interpretation, making the idiotic "Flood" just plain wrong.

It isn't enough to merely translate. It has to be interpreted as well. For example MAFIA: Muerte alle Francia Italia alia.

"Die all French Italians cry" is the literal translation but the best interpretation would be: Death to the French is the cry of the Italians. That dates back to the days of the wars between the French and the Italian city-states over the Riviera.

"Kill" is also the wrong translation and interpretation. If you don't understand the construct of Semitic languages, then you need to learn.

Bibles prior to 1968 correctly used the word "murder."

What happened in 1968? Black churches condemned both the draft and the Vietnam War. Then White churches jumped on the band-wagon and then bibles started spewing the politicized propaganda version with "kill."

Come to think of it, how is it that Black churches got the message from Jesus before the White churches? Maybe Black churches are doing it right and the only true religions?

The correct translation and interpretation is: You will not murder.

And that accomplished what, exactly?

Aside from creating a big mess and costing lots of money to clean up, nothing happened very slowly.

No doubt, he was emotionally disturbed.

What a waste of time.

Your time would have been better spent organizing and lobbying for a constitutional amendment to limit campaign contributions to eligible voters.

Yes, that means that since no organization of any kind can vote, they could never contribute a dime to any elected official.

It also means that people like Bill Gates and George Sorass and the Kook Brothers could only contribute money to those candidates they are eligible to cast votes and since none of them live in Ohio, none of them could ever give any money to any candidate in Ohio.

Or, you could have campaigned for a candidate that would actually bring about change instead of just giving lip service. Then again, that candidate would probably need campaign money and they'll never get it from organizations or people like Bill Gates or George Sorass or the Kook Brothers.

Oh, wait...I get why you would never do anything to actually effect real change:

Romans 13:1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which the Jesus-thing has established. The authorities that exist have been established by the Jesus-thing.Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what the Jesus-thing has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Now, why would an enlightened being who was benevolent and supposedly loved humans subject them to dictatorial authoritarian rule and a social class structure that treated people unequally?

You know what?

By protesting, you just went against Jesus.

And they want to kill Americans to stop Americans from stealing their country's wealth and resources while simultaneously leaving them with a very bad dictator in charge of everything who will happily give away their country's wealth and resources to Americans.

Refer to one of the 613 commandments, specifically: You will not steal.

That's exactly right.

There's no point since the Obama Administration publicly admitted it on more than one occasion. With the possible exception of Millard Fillmore, Obama did what all other Presidents have done. Granted, not all Presidents had access to drones, but they still sanctioned senseless killing.
Nice post, good points, agree on most.
Religion is not the best weapon to prevent wars. Often it is used to go to war, as in Iraq when Bush declared stealing the country as a crusade.
Religion works best at personal level, and only that.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:09 PM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Quakers don't have churches. They have meeting houses. I guess that's a "something". Not likely to be reciting Bible passages, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality