Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 06:46 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Their religion says we are infidels. Regardless, we sometimes have to engage bad people to keep Americans safe.
Christians are not exactly generous in their attitude toward Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 07:12 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Their religion says we are infidels. Regardless, we sometimes have to engage bad people to keep Americans safe.
And Christianity says their religion is worshiping a false god. There were periods of history when Christians literally pinned giant crosses on their clothing and went marching into their lands to make war against them.

I am not really seeing a huge difference in the behaviors, just the technology for weaponry. War is war, and humans are humans. Our propensity to kill and take from one another is part of our flaws, what some call original sin.

Yes, sometimes we do have to engage bad people to keep America safe. It's when we label people as bad and engage them in order to keep America rich that Christians need to speak out.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:04 PM

427 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And Christianity says their religion is worshiping a false god. There were periods of history when Christians literally pinned giant crosses on their clothing and went marching into their lands to make war against them.

I am not really seeing a huge difference in the behaviors, just the technology for weaponry. War is war, and humans are humans. Our propensity to kill and take from one another is part of our flaws, what some call original sin.

Yes, sometimes we do have to engage bad people to keep America safe. It's when we label people as bad and engage them in order to keep America rich that Christians need to speak out.

Isn't keeping America rich the same as keeping America safe? By safe, I mean financially viable. Our debt clock has been ticking since forever.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:39 PM

427 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
He didn’t stop the war but did leave his wife and three children without a husband and father for the rest of their lives. Oh, but the Vietnamese named a city after him. That’s nice. That made it all worthwhile.

He did stop the war. Not right there and then when he killed himself in protest against American brutality in Vietnam. Someone had to do the right thing while the rest of us watch the horrific wholesale slaughter of defenseless people. We don't seem to stop fighting endless wars. We are a Christian nation. We have been racking up bad karma since we became a nation in 1776 fighting the Brits. We are a warring nation finding one excuse after another to keep fighting. We need therapy.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:55 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Isn't keeping America rich the same as keeping America safe? By safe, I mean financially viable. Our debt clock has been ticking since forever.
No. We're not talking slogans and memes here. I am talking about using our power to control and disrupt the lives of people in other countries to increase the wealth of those in power and/or those who put them there. Something that could be opposed by Christians.

This thread isn't about America. This is about the principles and actions of Christians.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:46 AM

11,442 posts, read 5,973,383 times
So, the OP is suggesting we should have stayed neutral in World War II and let Germany and Japan divide up the world?

I do oppose the US acting like the world's police. War should be a last resort to insure US security from invasion or direct harm. I don't believe war should be used as just an extension of politics. We do go to war far too often, because it is immensely profitable. I don't agree with that.

I agreed with the war in Kuwait. I did not agree with the war in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Beyond that, sadly, war between nations is as natural as arguments between individuals. Sad, but true.

Old 01-22-2023, 02:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 1,005,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I do oppose the US acting like the world's police.
Someone has to do it. Thank God it is the US, as imperfect as it is.

Old 01-22-2023, 06:20 AM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times
Quote:
So, the OP is suggesting we should have stayed neutral in World War II and let Germany and Japan divide up the world?

I do oppose the US acting like the world's police. War should be a last resort to insure US security from invasion or direct harm. I don't believe war should be used as just an extension of politics. We do go to war far too often, because it is immensely profitable. I don't agree with that.

I agreed with the war in Kuwait. I did not agree with the war in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Beyond that, sadly, war between nations is as natural as arguments between individuals. Sad, but true.
Well, I was trying to find some middle ground. The title says "why not oppose war actions more." I am hoping that we could maybe agree that we use drone strikes too much as it is killing innocent civilians who see it as the US as behaving terroristically. World police? The police aren't suppose to be doing drone strikes in residential neighborhoods or killing people because they look suspicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Christians are not exactly generous in their attitude toward Muslims.
I can say that I sincerely try to be very nice and gracious to all including Muslims. In fact, I think our drone policy creates more bad relationships with Muslim majority countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Do you have a reputable source that can corroborate your claims?

And why do you believe we don't care?
I put hyperlinks in the original post.

Quote:
Because there are bad people all over the world who want to kill Americans.
Does our drone policy make more people who want to kill Americans in revenge if we are killing so many innocent civilians?

Spilling blood often leads to more spilling of blood. I say life is precious and violence begets more violence.

Old 01-22-2023, 06:36 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Lol -- remember, we tried mightily to do just that. It took a direct attack on Pearl Harbor to get rid of the isolationist stance in public sentiment. Suddenly, it wasn't just THEIR war, it was OURS.

Old 01-22-2023, 06:37 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
He did stop the war. Not right there and then when he killed himself in protest against American brutality in Vietnam. Someone had to do the right thing while the rest of us watch the horrific wholesale slaughter of defenseless people. We don't seem to stop fighting endless wars. We are a Christian nation. We have been racking up bad karma since we became a nation in 1776 fighting the Brits. We are a warring nation finding one excuse after another to keep fighting. We need therapy.
Thousands of young men, mostly poor, were sent to vietnam to die for a useless war. Those who returned were so damaged they could not retrieve the life they left behind. Their family never saw the son or the husband they had bid goodbye. And the nation has treated the veterans most poorly.
So you die protesting the war or you die killing other people. Either way you die. Many veterans returned and became anti-war because they had seen what they saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality