Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 11:50 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"my boy Phet". Who do you think you are?
guess you made a new friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 07:21 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
"my boy Phet". Who do you think you are?
Your daddy

LOL, come on I'm just messing with you.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:33 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Your daddy
Well that escalated quickly.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:48 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Your daddy

LOL, come on I'm just messing with you.
You may think that kind of attitude, all too often demonstrated by christians, is cool, but it's not.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
You may think that kind of attitude, all too often demonstrated by christians, is cool, but it's not.
What kind of attitude would that be? A sense of humor?

Old 02-02-2023, 08:49 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
What kind of attitude would that be? A sense of humor?
The attitude that christians get to talk down to non-christians.

Now why don't you get back on topic.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:01 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:

What if we like praying, going on pilgrimages, and being generous with our material abundance? What's the harm to myself or to humanity if I want to do those things? They only lead to a net increase in goodness and joy in the world.

So you want us to be able to lust after our peers without feeling any guilt about it? How is that fair to the one being objectified by said lust? Is that the path to a fuller vision of humanity, or does that make us no better than an animal? There's a better way.

Let me address these two points:

Prayer doesn't do a bit of harm to anyone because it is a benign activity. It hurts no one and affects no one outside of yourself. According to the studies, praying for someone sick can actually harm them. In a study on prayer's efficacy some sick people who found out they were being prayed for actually got worse. Christians, don't criticize the news sources. The Scotman is only reporting what hundreds of reputable news sources reported when this study came out:

"Health warning: Praying for the sick makes them feel even worse

PRAYING for hospital patients can make their illnesses worse and lead to significant post-operative complications, new research has found.

...heart surgery patients who knew people were praying for them ended up with a higher rate of post-operative complications, such as abnormal heart rhythms. Researchers suggested this was perhaps due to the anxiety of knowing others were praying for their recovery."

https://www.scotsman.com/health/heal...-worse-2510024

But if praying makes you feel good, like listening to beautiful music then by all means pray. I'd rather see people praying because a person praying is not going to be going out and breaking into my home and putting my family in danger. So pray! All I'm saying is don't expect to get any tangible results from it outside of yourself.

And I didn't mean for people to deliberately go out and peer at men or women to get a sexual thrill. What I meant was if you feel lust when you look at someone don't feel guilty about it and if you enjoy the feeling then engage in it. Just don't carry the feeling beyond that. Lusting after someone doesn't harm them or you and it's a sign of a healthy interest in attractive people. It's a stupid STUPID command Jesus gave and there's absolutely no point to it except to get normal sexually healthy people all hung-up psychologically about sex.

Jesus said a lot of wise stuff but he also said a lot of stupid stuff too.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:17 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I feel I'm making a contribution here--a worthwhile one, AAMOF. Let's see if I get this: you'd have nothing to discuss because I am in opposition to religion. Does that mean you're united with religion? Do you think religion provides mankind with something value? What exactly? Do you not see the damage and destruction Christianity brings to millions of lives--people who leave it after a foray into its darkened dungeons and live to tell their stories on hundreds of ex-Christian websites? You stand united with this?
Obviously I'd have nothing to discuss, since I realize any sort of discussion with you isn't one where you'd want to do anything but deride and sneer at beliefs.

The thing I see you doing, is pointing out the evils of people who abused power. Religion has value, but you're not looking for it. I can't remember the group that did a study about those who are "Saved"

By their standards (which was the bible) they estimated 4-5% worldwide are saved. That's pretty telling isn't it?

Old 02-02-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
"Health warning: Praying for the sick makes them feel even worse

PRAYING for hospital patients can make their illnesses worse and lead to significant post-operative complications, new research has found.

...heart surgery patients who knew people were praying for them ended up with a higher rate of post-operative complications, such as abnormal heart rhythms. Researchers suggested this was perhaps due to the anxiety of knowing others were praying for their recovery."

https://www.scotsman.com/health/heal...-worse-2510024
That's some serious grasping at straws. Spiritual forces aren't real and prayer is pointless and fake, but the gods will be angry and make the person sicker if you pray for them. LOL

Quote:
So pray! All I'm saying is don't expect to get any tangible results from it outside of yourself.
The only "tangible results" I'm hoping for when I pray is a better conformity of my will to God's.

Quote:
And I didn't mean for people to deliberately go out and peer at men or women to get a sexual thrill. What I meant was if you feel lust when you look at someone don't feel guilty about it and if you enjoy the feeling then engage in it. Just don't carry the feeling beyond that. Lusting after someone doesn't harm them or you and it's a sign of a healthy interest in attractive people. It's a stupid STUPID command Jesus gave and there's absolutely no point to it except to get normal sexually healthy people all hung-up psychologically about sex.

Jesus said a lot of wise stuff but he also said a lot of stupid stuff too.
You're conflating "lust" and "sexual desire", which is a common mistake people make. Your first sentence, what you rightly condemn, is actually the very definition of lust in Christianity. The "feeling" you described in your second sentence is just sexual desire. It's biological and is not sinful at all, though it can of course lead to sin or become disordered.

If you made an effort to understand these nuances and distinctions, you may be able to overcome your confusion and psychological hang-ups with regard to sex.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:26 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Obviously I'd have nothing to discuss, since I realize any sort of discussion with you isn't one where you'd want to do anything but deride and sneer at beliefs.

The thing I see you doing, is pointing out the evils of people who abused power. Religion has value, but you're not looking for it. I can't remember the group that did a study about those who are "Saved"

By their standards (which was the bible) they estimated 4-5% worldwide are saved. That's pretty telling isn't it?

Noted. Thanks for chiming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality