Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2023, 11:20 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Sorry, just have time for the first part of this. Yeah, I don't see the point in bashing people over the head with Jesus and hell when they don't ask you about it. I'm for standing on the corner maybe, preaching to everyone who cares to listen. But not going up to people directly (preach the gospel to all people, yes--but wisdom must be involved in that; there is the verse which says not to cast your pearls before swine); that's trying to shove God down someone's throat and God's word teaches against that (as I mentioned about the pearls/swine; there's other verses I can get to when I have the time just can't bring them to mind now). That's for people in the church (and it's not like you're supposed to do that either--all things are to be done in love not in like a threatening, hateful, you-better-listen-or-else-I'm-going-to-personally-get-you-for-it manner) not outside of it.

It's insane to think that people outside the church are supposed to embrace the Biblical morals and values I've espoused. They're just not. So, stop wasting your time and do something more fruitful. You may be doing more harm hammering people over the head with Jesus. But who am I to judge another's servant? They'll have to answer to God for their actions. Just my thoughts and opinions which by no means I expect others to have to share. Peace to you.

I wish all Christians were spiritually enlightened like you, Basil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 11:29 AM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Christianity is not like a virus. It is like a super-nutrient. It is like a miraculous cure for a life-threatening disease. All I can tell the Lord is, "Thanks, Doc! I could not have done it without you."

Old 02-15-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Christianity is not like a virus. It is like a super-nutrient. It is like a miraculous cure for a life-threatening disease. All I can tell the Lord is, "Thanks, Doc! I could not have done it without you."
Think about this: what is the one power atheists have that Christians do not?

The power to choose what THEY want to do, not what they think Jesus wants them to do.

Atheists answer to NO higher power. They are their own agents. They do whatever they want without regard to offending any mythical deity.

Atheists have complete freedom from tyranny.

Christians have no such freedom. They must answer to Jesus. They have to obey everything their pastor tells them is Jesus' will for their lives. They are slaves to a non-existent deity that they cannot hear, feel, touch, smell, or see.

Anyone who wants to throw away all their freedoms and be in slavery should become a Christian.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:45 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
I get the animosity and even enmity some have towards religions and the religious.
Their damage is apparent.

What I don't understand, is how someone can dislike "Someone" they've never met.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:25 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Think about this: what is the one power atheists have that Christians do not?

The power to choose what THEY want to do, not what they think Jesus wants them to do.

Atheists answer to NO higher power. They are their own agents. They do whatever they want without regard to offending any mythical deity.

Atheists have complete freedom from tyranny.

Christians have no such freedom. They must answer to Jesus. They have to obey everything their pastor tells them is Jesus' will for their lives. They are slaves to a non-existent deity that they cannot hear, feel, touch, smell, or see.

Anyone who wants to throw away all their freedoms and be in slavery should become a Christian.
Sadl,y, the bold has been the egregious misinterpretation and misunderstanding of Jesus fostered by the HUMAN leaders of what BECAME Christianity in Christ's Name but NOT in His essence and example, Thrill. The dominant religious leaders were too thoroughly conditioned by the OT and Moses so their minds were blinded by the veil over their hearts from their fear of God. The Mosaic Law is what Jesus proclaimed LIBERTY from but they ultimately couldn't see it. (2nd Corinthians 3:14-17)

2nd Corinthians 3:14-17 King James Version
But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadl,y, the bold has been the egregious misinterpretation and misunderstanding of Jesus fostered by the HUMAN leaders of what BECAME Christianity in Christ's Name but NOT in His essence and example, Thrill. The dominant religious leaders were too thoroughly conditioned by the OT and Moses so their minds were blinded by the veil over their hearts from their fear of God. The Mosaic Law is what Jesus proclaimed LIBERTY from but they ultimately couldn't see it. (2nd Corinthians 3:14-17)

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

You have been told, "You shall not commit adultery. But I tell you if you happen to look at a woman and feel some sexual arousal in your heart which, I know, I know, it's just ordinary biology but I don't give a damn if it is, I am telling you that you have committed a sin that is every bit as serious as if you had jumped in the sack with her."

Yeah, some liberty in Jesus! I'll stick with not being answerable to the idiot, thank you.

Old 02-15-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You have been told, "You shall not commit adultery. But I tell you if you happen to look at a woman and feel some sexual arousal in your heart which, I know, I know, it's just ordinary biology but I don't give a damn if it is, I am telling you that you have committed a sin that is every bit as serious as if you had jumped in the sack with her."

Yeah, some liberty in Jesus! I'll stick with not being answerable to the idiot, thank you.
Youare not reading very carefully, Thrill. ALL the rules and Laws are holddovers from the Mosaic schoolmaster stage and they have just been enhanced and expanded by human vanity and hubris. The whole point of Jesus's ministry was to instill agape love of God and each other. That only requires that you guide all your interactions with others by sincere concern for any negative effects on others and avoid that. What you hold in your mind alone has no such negative impact on others unless you act on it.

Old 02-16-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Youare not reading very carefully, Thrill. ALL the rules and Laws are holddovers from the Mosaic schoolmaster stage and they have just been enhanced and expanded by human vanity and hubris. The whole point of Jesus's ministry was to instill agape love of God and each other. That only requires that you guide all your interactions with others by sincere concern for any negative effects on others and avoid that. What you hold in your mind alone has no such negative impact on others unless you act on it.

I quoted Matthew 5:27-28. Here it is again:

27 Ye have heard that it was said by them ofold time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever look on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

So what was Jesus trying to tell the people about adultery? Are you suggesting that Jesus was saying men WERE or WERE NOT committing actual adultery when they looked at a woman and felt lust for her?

Old 02-16-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:

27 Ye have heard that it was said by them ofold time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever look on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

So what was Jesus trying to tell the people about adultery? Are you suggesting that Jesus was saying men WERE or WERE NOT committing actual adultery when they looked at a woman and felt lust for her?
The author of Matthew put those words in Jesus's mouth because he did not understand the nuance of the "state of mind" we are to be in to be guided by the Holy Spirit. A lusting state of mind is NOT compatible with the Holy Spirit, that's all it means. This nonsense that sin is an offense against God is primitive ignorance. It is just being in the wrong state of mind because that is what determines what kind of Spirit you are actually BECOMING.

Old 02-16-2023, 12:16 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:

I thought the point he was making was that being "bad" (if you will) inside but pretending to be "good" outside doesn't get past God.

Jesus was big on the all show and no go thing. He was constantly calling out the Pharisees and the rich as making a big, loud show of praying and giving, but of actually being d*cks in their day-to-day lives. So this adultery-in-your-heart is no surprise. He was saying: you can act one way but if you are a different way inside then you're a hypocrite. So don't stand on your ivory tower telling other people what to do and how to be when you're really just the same. In your heart you sin. Like anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality