Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2023, 08:12 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Like I mentioned before, birth control can and DOES fail. While the probability of becoming pregant has been greatly reduced, it's not eliminated.

And that's just too much of a chance that some want to take.
And once again, that’s totally fine. But I would hazard a guess that extremely few people abstain from all forms premarital sex solely because they fear pregnancy or STIs. Those kinds of fears usually come with a subjective moral component disfavoring premarital sex more broadly.

Quote:
Retroactive jealousy is about having an unhealthy obsession or preoccupation with your partner's romantic past to the point of it causing you distress.
That sounds a lot like potay-toe potah-toe. Either way, the retroactively jealous type is the last person you should want as a romantic partner. So I stand by my belief that they can take a long walk off a short pier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 08:38 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,793,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
And once again, that’s totally fine. But I would hazard a guess that extremely few people abstain from all forms premarital sex solely because they fear pregnancy or STIs. Those kinds of fears usually come with a subjective moral component disfavoring premarital sex more broadly.
You might be right, but the OP asked, in so many words, "...what are the reasons to wait until marriage to have sex?" The OP also didn't want to hear the typical answer as, "Because God said so."

I'm only putting forth a few (there's more, believe me) practical reasons to wait.

Quote:
That sounds a lot like potay-toe potah-toe. Either way, the retroactively jealous type is the last person you should want as a romantic partner. So I stand by my belief that they can take a long walk off a short pier.
But it's not potay-toe potah-toe. Seriously, if you get a few minutes, google both terms.

Part of the problem is that retroactively jealousy often doesn't rear its ugly head until some time after marriage.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:44 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Some people simply don't want to take that chance. And since this thread is on a Christianity board, I'm sure "a few" here are against modern birth control.
Condoms are not completely reliable
Abortion is not as easy to obtain since Roe v. Wade was overturned, plus, some don't believe in abortion.
And, so believe that if pregnancy does result, they'd never want to be in a position to choose between keeping a child, or giving it up for adoption.

These reasons aren't just "Eh" for some. They're serious. And they're perfectly valid.

Again, some may not want to take that chance, especially knowing that some STI's/STD's, you can't get rid of.

Ever hear of "retro-active jealousy"? Happens more than you think, and I've seen a few marriage end because of it.
It's difficult to argue with your belief, but it that situation faced me, I'd simply say 'bye, bye'. If 2 people can't even agree on a situation like this, then she should move on.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's difficult to argue with your belief, but it that situation faced me, I'd simply say 'bye, bye'. If 2 people can't even agree on a situation like this, then she should move on.
Point is phet, that there's more practical reasons to wait besides, "Because God says so."

Quite often, people don't talk about these issues before engaging in sex. And when and IF these situations come up, they're ill equipped to handle them.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:03 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Point is phet, that there's more practical reasons to wait besides, "Because God says so."

Quite often, people don't talk about these issues before engaging in sex. And when and IF these situations come up, they're ill equipped to handle them.
I'm not arguing that point. I'm simply saying that if 2 people can't agree on sex...go their separate ways and let one prude find another prude. Definition of prude: "A prude is a person who is described as being concerned with decorum or propriety, significantly in excess of normal prevailing standards".

Last edited by phetaroi; 02-20-2023 at 09:27 PM..

Old 02-21-2023, 02:10 AM

Quote:
But it's not potay-toe potah-toe. Seriously, if you get a few minutes, google both terms.

Part of the problem is that retroactively jealousy often doesn't rear its ugly head until some time after marriage.
I did Google it, but I think it’s naive to suggest that puritanical sex (double-)standards have nothing to do with retroactive jealousy. It’s also lousy reasoning to avoid premarital sex because your future spouse may turn into a jealous monster if they find out about it.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:22 PM

867 posts, read 723,875 times
Quote:

But we do exist, and some of us are even atheists.

In principle, I've never had qualms about premarital sex, for me or for any other consenting adult, but I came of age during the early years of AIDS. I never wanted children, so sex has had no procreative function in my life. Consequently, if I was going to literally risk my life just for the sake of something pleasurable, as opposed to for work, it was going to be with a man I genuinely loved and wanted to marry and spend the rest of my life with. I finally "gave in" to my first boyfriend, by which time I was in my 40's.

As it turned out, we were mutually compatible that way.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
But we do exist, and some of us are even atheists.

In principle, I've never had qualms about premarital sex, for me or for any other consenting adult, but I came of age during the early years of AIDS. I never wanted children, so sex has had no procreative function in my life. Consequently, if I was going to literally risk my life just for the sake of something pleasurable, as opposed to for work, it was going to be with a man I genuinely loved and wanted to marry and spend the rest of my life with. I finally "gave in" to my first boyfriend, by which time I was in my 40's.

As it turned out, we were mutually compatible that way.
Of course you exist (and I never claimed otherwise). People just usually have different risk calculuses on having premarital sex under any circumstance when a chastity-oriented religion or other moral code is not a factor.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Of course you exist (and I never claimed otherwise). People just usually have different risk calculuses on having premarital sex under any circumstance when a chastity-oriented religion or other moral code is not a factor.
That's kind of the point of this thread, isn't it? After all, the OP wanted to know the reasons to wait for sex without the whole "God...'thing'" brought into the discussion.

Point being, that there are valid reasons to postpone sex until marriage.

Some people believe abortion is wrong, even if they don't have a religious background. And they don't want to take that chance, and/or have to make that decision. It would be wrong to believe that ANYONE who believes abortion is wrong is 'religious'. They're not.

Sex is often a 'bonding experience', especially for women. It's not as if that's hidden. Just Google it.

Some women may not want to go through that. The whole idea of 'bonding' with a man through sex, for the man to not feel that 'bonding' is a turn-off for some. Nothing to do with religion, but science.

I dunno. Some people just take sex more seriously than others, I suppose...

Old 02-22-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
That's kind of the point of this thread, isn't it? After all, the OP wanted to know the reasons to wait for sex without the whole "God...'thing'" brought into the discussion.

Point being, that there are valid reasons to postpone sex until marriage.

Some people believe abortion is wrong, even if they don't have a religious background. And they don't want to take that chance, and/or have to make that decision. It would be wrong to believe that ANYONE who believes abortion is wrong is 'religious'. They're not.

Sex is often a 'bonding experience', especially for women. It's not as if that's hidden. Just Google it.

Some women may not want to go through that. The whole idea of 'bonding' with a man through sex, for the man to not feel that 'bonding' is a turn-off for some. Nothing to do with religion, but science.

I dunno. Some people just take sex more seriously than others, I suppose...
You continue to talk past me and make strawman arguments. I never said (nor would I ever suggest) that people should push themselves to have premarital sex, or any sort of sex, if it flies in the face of their inhibitions (whatever those may be).

While I find the discussion interesting, the implicit premise of this thread (trying to convince someone to have premarital sex) rubs me the wrong way accordingly. The solution is not to disrespect your partner’s boundaries but find a partner who has matching boundaries in that (not unimportant) regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality