Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2023, 07:30 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Personally, I think he enjoys being provocative.
Well, there's that... but provocative or not, I am being sincere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 09:26 AM

7,361 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenfire88 View Post
There's one particular issue I have in mind. Knowing your partner's libido or sex is drive is important. If you wait until marriage to have sex, you won't know if your partner has a high or low sex drive. What if you're both on opposite ends? Shouldn't you know if you're sexually compatible before being married?
You might think that marriage revolves around sex. It doesn't. It revolves around shared values.

After nearly forty years together, there are so many stressful issues which strongly affect libido. Worrying about early career issues, money issues, in-law issues, childcare issues, teenage issues, college funding issues. Then there are medical issues with sick kids - throwing up, checking on fevers or croupy coughs - all night long. There's caring for a couple's elderly parents and the list goes on.

Once the kids are independent, 50 year old women are menopausal with night sweats and, 50 year old men commonly have prostate problems. At least half the men over 60 have enlarged prostates.

So if sex is only what binds you as a couple, you're in trouble. LOL!

Old 03-11-2023, 10:46 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
You might think that marriage revolves around sex. It doesn't. It revolves around shared values.

After nearly forty years together, there are so many stressful issues which strongly affect libido. Worrying about early career issues, money issues, in-law issues, childcare issues, teenage issues, college funding issues. Then there are medical issues with sick kids - throwing up, checking on fevers or croupy coughs - all night long. There's caring for a couple's elderly parents and the list goes on.

Once the kids are independent, 50 year old women are menopausal with night sweats and, 50 year old men commonly have prostate problems. At least half the men over 60 have enlarged prostates.

1. I don't really think that you get to speak for all marriages.
2. I have had enlarged prostate since around age 50. So what? You think I can't have sex? Maybe you'd better stick to what you know.

Old 03-11-2023, 01:13 PM

7,361 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. I don't really think that you get to speak for all marriages.
2. I have had enlarged prostate since around age 50. So what? You think I can't have sex? Maybe you'd better stick to what you know.
OMG, I was not referring to your marriage. I didn't say that enlarged prostate meant no sex.

As we age, our sex drives changes. Sometimes it is a temporary change and sometimes it's not. A very dear friend is my age (sixties) and her decade older husband had a stroke. He's somewhat partly recovered - enough to live at home. She spend her days helping him dress, making sure he's fed and taking medicines. Their lives have drastically changed. Their sex life is now nonexistent. There is still love and tenderness, but no intercourse.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:28 PM

91 posts, read 24,405 times
There are reasons not to have sex before marriage - but they are all bad.

Sexual compatibility is every bit as important a pillar of a relationship as any other. Committing your life to someone when you don't even know if you will enjoy being sexually intimate with them, is as irresponsible as committing when you don't even know where they stand on life issues - do we agree on politics, religion, children, where to invest our money, are we bigots, do we at least share the same bigotry.....

I raised 2 girls and we encouraged them to be smart enough to find out if that compatibility existed.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:44 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,911,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer324 View Post
There are reasons not to have sex before marriage - but they are all bad.

Sexual compatibility is every bit as important a pillar of a relationship as any other. Committing your life to someone when you don't even know if you will enjoy being sexually intimate with them, is as irresponsible as committing when you don't even know where they stand on life issues - do we agree on politics, religion, children, where to invest our money, are we bigots, do we at least share the same bigotry.....

I raised 2 girls and we encouraged them to be smart enough to find out if that compatibility existed.
So, you encourage everyone to play the field with 'whoever' until they find someone sexually compatible? Is that the way 'responsibility' or 'smart' works?

Old 03-11-2023, 06:27 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:

I don't disagree. Kids are one of the best buzz-kills there are, for example. Everyday Life is not sexy, kids or not. I can count on the fingers of one hand the transcendent sex I had in between all those other messy things happening. It does give you something to look back on wistfully but you're right, if you consider your life a greek tragedy if you don't have full-on gorilla trampoline sex twice a day most days, you're going to be REALLY disappointed, lol

Old 03-11-2023, 09:56 PM

91 posts, read 24,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
So, you encourage everyone to play the field with 'whoever' until they find someone sexually compatible? Is that the way 'responsibility' or 'smart' works?
'Whoever'? No. But in the real world, one person may find compatibility with their first partner, another may not find it until their 4th. Given the higher level of sexual repression of Christians, the alternative is people failing to find these things out until after they marry, which results in the stats that show several Christian groups with higher divorce rates than Atheists.

https://www.learnreligions.com/divor...een%20divorced.

Does increasing the odds of a relationship ending in divorce and the damage it does to children meet your concepts of 'responsibility' or 'smart'?

Old 03-12-2023, 04:59 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone has claimed that sex should be the only thing that binds you as a couple. You can have an entirely sexless marriage and still be happy IF that's what both people want. Nothing wrong with that.
But most people wouldn't choose that at least in their younger years, and would want a partner they are actually physically attracted to.
Why would you settle for less? It's A factor in choosing a partner, not THE ONLY factor, but an important one in most cases.

Old 03-12-2023, 05:03 AM

200 posts, read 109,928 times
I think checking sexual compatibility is kind of dumb. I don't believe it's possible that you love your partner, he's good at everything, but you started having sex and suddenly something didn't fit... I think sexual compatibility is tested by people who marry for sex and who don't truly love their partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality