Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2023, 08:45 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have found that you can affirm someone's best qualities in the most honest possible fashion and it does not mean they will believe you if they have been taught consistently to believe otherwise.

Such a person will always tend to self-sabotage or sabotage the relationship in some way or other, often precisely BECAUSE you are getting closer and they can't trust / be vulnerable with someone in that regard because of, for example, too many fundamental betrayals in the past.
Brilliant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 09:49 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I don't understand.

On one hand, you say that sex is a "profound/transcendent" connection with...another human being", while on the other hand, you say that you can "count on the fingers of one hand the 'transcendent sex'" you've had.

I don't think that EVERY time someone has sex -- even if in a committed relationship -- is necessarily looking for that 'transcendent connection' with the person they've having sex with.

And even if one does manage to have that kind of 'transcendent' sex, it doesn't mean that the relationship with necessarily become 'cemented'.

Unless, I misunderstood you...
It all comes down to marriage is not about sex. It is commitment to a relationship like no other. It requires compromise, love and affection, desire to please, forgiveness, and patience. The worth of a longtime marriage cannot be measured. A satisfying and loving sexual relationship is the result, cannot be a cause. Many people have long term committed relationship without marriage.
Sex, even great sex, on the other hand can be bought for, i dont know what the going rate is.

Old 03-19-2023, 11:25 AM

91 posts, read 24,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It all comes down to marriage is not about sex. It is commitment to a relationship like no other. It requires compromise, love and affection, desire to please, forgiveness, and patience. The worth of a longtime marriage cannot be measured. A satisfying and loving sexual relationship is the result, cannot be a cause. Many people have long term committed relationship without marriage.
Sex, even great sex, on the other hand can be bought for, i dont know what the going rate is.
Marriage is about sex, and trust, and commitment, and lots of other things - all of which deserve to be respected. Marginalizing the importance of sex is why marriage counselors are so busy.

Old 03-19-2023, 12:15 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,792,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer324 View Post
Marriage is about sex, and trust, and commitment, and lots of other things - all of which deserve to be respected. Marginalizing the importance of sex is why marriage counselors are so busy.
...and, puting too much weight on the importance of sex is why divorce lawyers are so busy.

Old 03-19-2023, 12:43 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
...and, puting too much weight on the importance of sex is why divorce lawyers are so busy.
You're so defensive. He said marriage is about several factors, all of which are important.

Old 03-19-2023, 12:48 PM

91 posts, read 24,362 times
Quote:
Divorce lawyers are busy because people lack balance in their relationship. Putting too much weight on any foundation will make it crumble.

Old 03-19-2023, 01:18 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Exactly, If sex comes before trust, children, security, love and caring. One can live without sex, but sex without love and trust is abuse.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're so defensive. He said marriage is about several factors, all of which are important.
How is stating a fact being 'defensive'?

It's been said that infidelity is the NUMBER ONE REASON for MOST divorces.

Gaffer said that marriage is about sex, trust and commitment.

How many people go to their divorce lawyers and say, "I want a divorce because I don't trust my spouse."? OR, "I want a divorce because my spouse isn't committed to me/the marriage"?

Old 03-19-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Exactly, If sex comes before trust, children, security, love and caring. One can live without sex, but sex without love and trust is abuse.
Agreed. When we make our marriage vows, we vow to "forsake all others."

We do NOT vow to have "animal-like sex 'X' amount of times per day/week etc."

My goodness...if THAT'S what we had to vow, I wonder how many of us would have actually gotten/or want to get married!

Old 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
How is stating a fact being 'defensive'?

It's been said that infidelity is the NUMBER ONE REASON for MOST divorces.

Gaffer said that marriage is about sex, trust and commitment.

How many people go to their divorce lawyers and say, "I want a divorce because I don't trust my spouse."? OR, "I want a divorce because my spouse isn't committed to me/the marriage"?
I think the biggest reason for divorce is "irreconcilable differences," not infidelity. One spouse finally decides "I don't want to be married to this person anymore. I'm getting a divorce." The other spouse has no choice. If we had a divorce lawyer here, I'm sure that he/she would confirm that interpersonal conflict, excessive arguing, and lack of commitment lead to more divorces that infidelity, not that infidelity isn't a major cause.

In case anybody is interested, it is my opinion that sex is one of several major issues that couples need to agree on to have a successful marriage. They should also agree on their political outlooks, religious views, economic goals, whether to have children, and if so, how to raise them. Each couple may have other criteria that they consider important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality