Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 AM

239 posts, read 402,771 times

Advertisements

Well, the word garji actually has a Sanskrit definition meaning roaring or rumbling. I haven't seen it though used outside of MP.

As far as those 5 "secret words", I've seen the same ones being used in other similar L&S paths(both the recent Indian ones and the Eastern Asian one), and they are all Sanskrit words that have been in Sanskrit texts like the Vedas, for example. Joyti or jyoti is actually the name given for the flame that is supposed to be on the astral plane and was used for that before Joy was even born. The 5 words are supposed to reference different planes or realities: jyoti-astral, omkar-mental, ramkar-soul, sohang-spiritual, satnam-god. It has mention in Julian Johnson's book, Path of the Masters, and you can also find it in Hindu based texts/literature. These kind of path incorporates a number of sanskrit words into its belief system. Maybe it is just a coincidence the similarity of the words with their names, idk. Please do not take this as an attempt to justify MP, only to clarify the historical use of Sanskrit language. If the name similarity is more than coincidence then it is more likely they have changed their names to match the Sankrit words, than the Sanskrit words with thousands of years of use being invented for their needs.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 AM

33 posts, read 103,624 times
Thanks for the clarification of the Sanskrit and for pointing out that these words have been used in many different Light and Sound Paths and are not the sole ownership of MasterPath. In this instance, the word Garji is capitalized and is meant to be the name of the inner master, and it does come from the name Gary. All of that seems pretty silly to me now, as well as pathetic. As for jyoti--just a coincidence that it sounds like "Joy."

Old 09-16-2009, 07:01 AM

268 posts, read 457,888 times
Well, I'm certainly glad that at least Gary isn't having MP chelas meditate on Joy's name/image. That's a relief. But from what rememberingyou said, it seems the existence of the sanskrit word garji might be a coincidence. I think end_of_faith mentioned that Gary essentially lifted the name idea from Paul Twitchell ("Paulji") and Darwin Gross ("Darji"). Are paulji and darji also sanskrit words? I looked them up and did not find them. In any case, it sounds like the MasterPath chelas are indeed advised by Gary to focus attention (meditate) on his image and his name, or the name of his supposed "Godly" form. That is troubling and totally farcical. For all intents and purposes, it is basically worship of a man who appointed himself as their messiah and reportedly abuses his power over them.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 AM

175 posts, read 425,014 times
Yes, the 5 "secret names" are Sanskrit, and are lifted from Eckankar who lifted them from Radha Soami, and I never implied or stated that they were "made up names." JustNobody is also correct that they correspond with the various planes of consciousness. They represent ascending levels of vibration associated with the respective plane of consciousness denoted.

The word "Garji" as used on MasterPath is not of Sanskrit origin. That is entirely from Olsen.

I also never stated or implied that "Joyti" was/is used to denote "Joy." BTW, her name is Joyce. She shortened it to Joy many years ago, I guess "Saint Joy" as a more spiritual ring to it.

Anyone who knows, or has been a devotee of MP will attest that the worship of "Garji" is central to following this "Path, inner and outer."

As far as the salaries go: hmm, again I am rather shocked by the yearly salaries listed as well as the "expense accounts." Both are news for me. We were repeatedly told that Gary and Joy made less than all employees. We were never told about "expense accounts." Someone mentioned on this forum that Joy no longer teaches monthly classes, and that Gary now only gives 3 seminars a year. It certainly begs the question: is leading a less than one minute HU Chant 3 times a year worth over a hundred grand salary? I mean what work does Joy now do on a daily basis? I'm very familiar with her "assigned jobs" performed as of May 2006. As well as Gary.

It does makes me wonder what is their "actual salary?" What is listed versus the reality are not necessarily the same. Will we ever know the truth of MasterPath? I don't know.

anyway, thank you "JustNobody" for offering more information regarding the secret names, and more importantly for showing that these names are used by many "paths" that have copied the eastern philosophies, and utilize Sanskrit language in their writings. I hear that JR of MSIA also uses the same five words as Eckankar and MP. He is also a former Eckist that started his own "path". Many former students of MSIA are now followers of Gary.

When compared to MSIA or SoC... MP appears rather benign. But some of us were, as Gary put it: "spiritual virgins." Not anymore. And from my perspective, all things being relative, the manipulation, deception, and destroying of trust is equally devastating and damaging.

Last edited by end_of_faith; 09-16-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 AM

1,666 posts, read 4,369,025 times
The good news is that CA is broke and hungry for tax revenue.

How would one go about contacting the local tax authority in Temecula and suggest that they open an investigation of Olsen & MP?

Once that action is started, the house of cards might come down as word gets around.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 PM

This is a link to the Federal IRS 13909 Form used to file a tax fraud complaint/referral about any exempt organization:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

For the State of California, the link below brings you to a page where you can file a general tax fraud complaint/referral online. You'll click continue at the bottom of the page to begin. You'll be able to submit whatever information you have on each page before continuing, leaving any of the fields blank if you are unable to provide that info. One of the pages will ask for the nature of the violation and an explanation. I guess maybe the most appropriate choice for MasterPath would probably be "false filing status/exemptions"? You can choose to remain anonymous, or provide your contact information at the end if you wish.

Reporting Income Tax Fraud - Important Information Before You Start

Old 09-17-2009, 12:43 PM

34 posts, read 129,827 times
Default The real definition of garji

The real definition of garji is actually rambling...as in Olsen's tragically disassociated, endlessly boring MP seminar ramblings that only make sense to the baked pothead speaking those words. You know like "Wow man, I've never seen my fingers move like THIS before. My hand is like a claw! HEAVYYYY!!! "

[quote=JustNobody;10778357]Well, the word garji actually has a Sanskrit definition meaning roaring or rumbling. I haven't seen it though used outside of MP.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDoneThat09 View Post
The real definition of garji is actually rambling...as in Olsen's tragically disassociated, endlessly boring MP seminar ramblings that only make sense to the baked pothead speaking those words. You know like "Wow man, I've never seen my fingers move like THIS before. My hand is like a claw! HEAVYYYY!!! "
Hilarious!! Did he seriously ever say something like that? Maybe he never evolved beyond the whole college dope-smoking experience. Wait...did he even go to college?

And while I'm asking these sort of irrelevant questions, I'm also wondering about Gary's politics. Someone here mentioned that he claimed to "whisper" in George W. Bush's ear. Was that just another one of his delusions, or does he actually participate in Republican Party politics? Makes no difference to me party-wise, I'm neither Rebublican or Democrat. But it's pretty funny that Gary would claim to have an "in" with GW. Funny, because I think even GW would probably want to distance himself from the likes of Gary.

Sorry to keep fueling the fire of this thread, but I can't help myself. There were also reports about Gary and his secretary or something along those lines. Does Gary cheat on "Saint" Joy? This question is more "soap opera" than anything, but intriguing minds want to know. Again, I know this is sort of beside the point.

One last match strike...does anyone have real info on the reports from a long time ago in Detroit Lakes, MN where Gary reportedly stole cars and made his girlfriend's kid sleep outside in a car as a disciplinary action? Disclaimer: I'm not sure if these were rumors or reality. I apologize in advance if the rumors I read about (elsewhere online) are unfounded. Also, I apologize that I jumped to the conclusion about the word "Joyti" being related to Gary's wife, I shouldn't have assumed. Admittedly, nothing would surprise me when it comes to this scheister, but this is as good a place as any to clear up any falsehoods.

Last edited by Violet11; 09-17-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM

175 posts, read 425,014 times
Re: the MN rumor about Gary’s past: I have never heard that story and do not know if it is true. I know that Gary has the reputation of being a rebellious young man but I’ve never heard of him making an ex-girlfriend’s child sleep in the car. I am, however, privy to a story that shows a side to Gary that is very sad, shocking, and revealing. It was shared in a moment of close confiding, trust, and love by one of his stepsons and it is neither appropriate nor necessary to post on a public forum. Not because of scumbag Gary but because I love the person who shared it. It was also a moment leading and contributing to my ending with MasterPath.

Re: The “whispering in GW” ear: yes, I attended the seminar where he said that, and he caught flack from a number of students. Of course, in true fashion, the following seminar he discussed how little he could say without being misunderstood.

Re: rumors about his secretary. To my knowledge, there is no evidence either way. I’ve heard this rumor and it doesn’t seem helpful to extrapolate this from other information. Who knows and who even cares. I don’t. They spend their summers in Minnesota, and have for as long as I’ve known them. I have spent a major 5-day holiday with Joy and her sons while Olsen and secretary spent theirs in San Diego discussing “important MP issues”. I don’t know and I don’t care about their relationship. They are both complicit and responsible for the financial activities. What is important is their compliance and ethical standing in adhering and following the laws governing non-profit status. E.g. the inuring of top execs appears to be up for scrutiny.

Since they have nothing to fear, and according to them, all that they are doing is “ethical and within the bounds of the law,” there should be no problem, and it only serves their cause. Gary has told the membership for years that MP is ‘squeaky clean.’ That being the case, then, they should be able to withstand a forensic accountant assessing their books. They should be able to truthfully answer all questions regarding their adherence and compliance to non-profit laws, and how it applies within the operation of their organization. The fact of the matter is that MP is not squeaky clean. They may be good at whitewashing the facts, and they may even be able to pass the test. Great.

None of it changes the past, or the truth that many of us have come to know, whether the person has even heard of MP. I think that’s one of those subtle judgments you don’t see in yourself while involved in a group like MP. The elitist attitude that you know truth because you are an initiate of a “real Guru.” You really see how that plays out in judging others when you leave the influence of the viewpoint. Hopefully, this experience means the leaders of MP have learned a great deal. But whatever they’ve learned, or the “minor adjustments” they’ve made, it still doesn’t make them “Saints.” It doesn’t mean that MP is “The Sound Path” of the millennia, or that it is even a “Sound Path” at all. As they place all others paths, teachings, and people on a ladder of consciousness, so too shall they be placed on that chart… and it isn’t the top yellow ring.

for me... I've taken the steps necessary for resolution. Beyond that, it's time to let the karmic system run it's natural course... the discussion or participation in MP is rife with potential for negativity, pain, confusion, deception, manipulation, and overall BS.

MasterPath is what it is... each person will come to see it for what it is relative to their threshold for what it is not. Those of us who have left have gone through internal experiences that those who still believe cannot comprehend, empathize with, or accept. It's one of those experiences that is understood best by actually living both sides. The story is as old as the teaching they claim to represent. Many people have been disillusioned by false gurus making grandiose claims of special knowledge of God and Truth. In this regard, MP joins the ranks of the many, and not the few.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:26 PM

33 posts, read 103,624 times
As much as going down that road of silatious sensationalism appeals to my own dark humor of the “enquiring minds want to know” ilk, I think it’s more valuable to the intent of this forum to stick to what is known to be true, rather than speculate. I have heard rumors of the marital infidelity type for years, but have no personal experience with regard to their efficacy. That being said, even if Gary Olsen was a philanderer (and as I said I do not know if that is true) it would be less offensive to me than the manner in which he bilks millions out of his flock.
Not unlike the television evangelist, and equally as sleazy, Gary Olsen does promise “rewards” in heaven for those who open their wallets. And once you get into the reward/punishment model of Spirituality it all begins to look like a bad junior high school play. Gary, ever the charming con, plays upon the fragilities and vulnerabilities of the human heart desiring knowledge about the Divine Mystery in order to make his money.

On another web site I read the story of an eighty year old woman whose family rescued her from MasterPath after she became so fearful as to isolate herself following the infamous bird-flu seminar. With mental facilities degenerating as they often do in older people, she used her limited income to fill the garage with beans, rice and water, while she hunkered down in the basement waiting for the apocalypse. Her family does not have very nice things to say about Mr. Olsen, having found their mother in such a condition, and that’s an understatement. It’s another sad example of Olsen’s lack of accountability for literally trying to play god, consequences be damned.

I too was at the seminar when Olsen expressed that George Bush was a visionary and that Gary whispered in George’s ear. It would be funny, if it weren’t so unscrupulous. To have the leader of a quasi-religion/path, whatever you want to call it, expound a political opinion to his flock begs the ethical question of whether or not voicing that type of opinion might influence a vote or a political leaning. It is my understanding that non-profits are supposed to keep their political opinions to themselves in this regard.
And finally, all the money that MasterPath makes goes right back into MasterPath. You will not find any MasterPath sponsored soup-kitchens, or free day care for working mothers. Unlike the churches in my town that open their doors to the homeless in the winter months, provide parenting classes, counseling and environmental activism all for free, the tax exempt status bestowed upon MasterPath does nothing to care for the communities in which it operates. My family does more to give back to the community (without tax exemption I might add) than Olsen ever has or ever will.

Real justice would be served were Gary Olsen and MasterPath to lose their tax-exempt status. As End_of_Faith states, this organization is far from squeaky clean! If posting here and sharing my experiences will deter one person from ever getting involved in the MasterPath charade, or if it will inspire one of the countless chelas who currently keep up with this forum to find courage enough to leave MasterPath, then the pen really is mightier than the sword and I have spent my time well.

In the meantime, I am grateful that the unexpected reinforcements in the form of Violet, Shuffler, Deep Cynic and others have kept this discussion alive and thought provoking! You are my heros and you bring healing to my life. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality