Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Great items!

Also combs and brushes are invaluable to these kids as is dental floss. We usually try to include a writing tablet, pencils, pencil sharpeners, small containers of play-doh are allowed (we had to call to verify), and socks too.

One other thing some might want to do is find a local distribution point and go volunteer. It is truly amazing. You help process thousands and thousands of boxes and you really get an idea of the magnitude of this organization.

There's one here in Charlotte that we try and go work at and it's truly amazing.

Also, Moose, I don't know if you are aware but you can include a note to your child and picture of yourself or family. I've heard remarkable stories of some of those kids tracking down their shoebox donors years later to say 'thanks' and even some who have done even more than that.

We do always include a card but only include our first names, I think the anonymity is something which appeals to me.

It feels more meaningful in some way knowing that there is no "come-back" at all and I do it just for simple pleasure of it. I take pleasure from reading the stories on the website and looking at the photos of kids faces.

Good to know about the Play-Doh , I thought it wasn't allowed.

We alternate every year between girl and boy though I'm afraid boys are way more fun to shop for !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 06:30 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
We do always include a card but only include our first names, I think the anonymity is something which appeals to me.

It feels more meaningful in some way knowing that there is no "come-back" at all and I do it just for simple pleasure of it. I take pleasure from reading the stories on the website and looking at the photos of kids faces.

Good to know about the Play-Doh , I thought it wasn't allowed.

We alternate every year between girl and boy though I'm afraid boys are way more fun to shop for !
I understand about the anonymity and I agree with you. Sometimes our youth group likes to include a world map with a little star where our church would be and a picture of the group. We don't ever give out our address of any particulars. I was just letting you know in case you didn't already.

It's a great program. The regional distribution points are unbelievable. Really a neat program.

Kudos to you for starting this thread!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:01 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
I have to admit that this is the first time I've heard of this particular charity organization. Although, over the last couple of years during Christmas time I try to make a donation to ORBIS because it has a close connection to both my family and my job. They fly a DC-10 into third world countries and do things like cataracts operations on the airplane itself which is converted into a flying eye hospital. Most of the work is done on children but on some elderly as well. Ever since my Dad went to Cuba with this organization I've felt a pretty close attachment to it - especially after seeing the joy on the children's faces after being able to see; some of them for the very first time.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:13 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Moose, thank you so much for that link..I couldn't believe my good fortune that the Baptist Church just down the road from me is the only drop off point in miles! I will round up all the shoe boxes and make this a project for myself and the grands..Thanks so much..And Dave thanks for your link What a wonderful thing we can do for only a few dollars..Thanks Moose, and dave Now to Wal-mart for bandnnas, thanks Alpha

Old 11-22-2008, 11:41 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
OK, thanks to you, Moose, my three-year-old girl has just excitedly finished packing her box for the "sad girl" (what she has called the girl who will be receiving the box, ever since we explained to her a little bit about how some people aren't as fortunate as we.)

At first my wife wasn't sure if we should have done this with our daughter.. because she was so excited and couldn't stop talking about it and asking questions!

Anyway, I think you've helped to start a family tradition.

Thanks again!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 PM

599 posts, read 1,261,273 times
We love OCC. This will be our third year participating in this program. We always include a little note with our address in the boxes (I usually do four boxes, one for each of our children) and two years ago, we actually got a letter back. Two of our boxes went to the Ukraine and were received by two brothers and their mom wrote me a letter, thanking me for the gifts. That was the icing on the cake for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality