Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
So God is a He? Does God have a penis? Male reproductive organs?
I think this is an interesting question for Christians to consider. God is referred in the Bible as a He. "He" implies penis/male reproductive system. We are allegedly made in the image of God. Now what is the point of God having male reproductive abilities? Are there female gods that he can have sex with? Is calling God a "He" merely a holdover from other religions? "It" would have made more sense, as why should God have a gender identity?

I understand this book was written in male-dominated times, but it still brings up some interesting questions that believers should ponder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Your confusion comes from the fact that you are obviously thinking about God in a strictly Christian paradigm. I am not a Christian and I have a very unique way of looking at God, thus the confusion.

I have my ideas about God, yet I will not close my mind and stubbornly cling to these ideas as dogma. I accept the fact that God is infinitely mysterious.

My relationship with God? That's complicated. I do have a relationship with God. I do not need to strictly cling to one religion to have this relationship. It exists within me, and in this world I live in.

There is a God. But this God might not be very Godly.
I didn't say anything about God is the light of Christian paradigm. There are people who are not Christian who have a relationship with God, who don't look at him as the Christian God, but the Almighty God who is all powerful. That has nothing to do with being Christian.

I asked what type of relationship did you have with God, to call Him an it.

I didn't ask you if you was a Christian, I simply asked you questions, which you for some reason felt that you had to tell me about you not being Christian. Very odd.

I never said anything about closing your mind, or excepting any view, I just asked you a question.

Do you have a relationship with an it, and what does it do?

Quote:
obviously thinking about God in a strictly Christian paradigm
Actually, I'm not, because God's title is not the Christian God, He is God. I didn't ask you anything about Christianity, I asked you about the God you call it.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 PM

Funkymonk

Quote:
I feel like my relationship with God is simply more complex and ethereal than most people on this forum say theirs is.
So, you think by calling God an it, saying that He can't speak or talk is more ethereal than most people? Interesting?

So, this is the type of relationship that you have with God?

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 04-14-2009 at 11:44 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
So God is a He? Does God have a penis? Male reproductive organs?
Yes, He is because He refers to Himself as He, Father, Prince, Everlasting Father. You never hear of God calling Himself princess, her.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I think this is an interesting question for Christians to consider. God is referred in the Bible as a He. "He" implies penis/male reproductive system. We are allegedly made in the image of God. Now what is the point of God having male reproductive abilities? Are there female gods that he can have sex with? Is calling God a "He" merely a holdover from other religions? "It" would have made more sense, as why should God have a gender identity?

I understand this book was written in male-dominated times, but it still brings up some interesting questions that believers should ponder.
Quote:
I think this is an interesting question for Christians to consider
Actually it is not, because you statement does not make much since. God does not talk about Him walking around with a penis, He just says that He wants us to call Him Father. What is so hard about that. There are people who over think things.

Quote:
"It" would have made more sense, as why should God have a gender identity?
Pointless
Quote:
Are there female gods that he can have sex with?
just pointless

Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Actually it is not, because you statement does not make much since. God does not talk about Him walking around with a penis, He just says that He wants us to call Him Father. What is so hard about that. There are people who over think things.

Pointless

just pointless
I have seen this statement from a lot of Christians on here and it really sums it all up to a T.

Christians - Don't like to think, thus obviously sticking with a dogmatic doctrine that tells them what to think. Willing to shape anything they encounter in reality to fit their dogmatic doctrine, whether contradictory or not. If they become cognizant of a contradiction, then they choose not to think about it.

I believe this to be a fairly astute definition.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,806 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about God is the light of Christian paradigm. There are people who are not Christian who have a relationship with God, who don't look at him as the Christian God, but the Almighty God who is all powerful. That has nothing to do with being Christian.

I asked what type of relationship did you have with God, to call Him an it.

I didn't ask you if you was a Christian, I simply asked you questions, which you for some reason felt that you had to tell me about you not being Christian. Very odd.

I never said anything about closing your mind, or excepting any view, I just asked you a question.

Do you have a relationship with an it, and what does it do?

Actually, I'm not, because God's title is not the Christian God, He is God. I didn't ask you anything about Christianity, I asked you about the God you call it.
I do not worship any God. I discover the God within myself, the world, and the universe.

And I go to Buddhist temples. But when you worship a statue of the Buddha, you are not worshipping God, you are showing reverence to an enlightened human being.

So I "worship" enlightened people. I "worship" nature. I can worship almost anything, including myself. But that does not mean that it is God. It just means that it is something I love and hold the deepest resepct for.

Anyway, if you must define my relationship with God. I would compare it to Buddhists or Native American traditions. Native Americans have sometimes called God "The Great Mystery", I like that.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Funkymonk

So, you think by calling God an it, saying that He can't speak or talk is more ethereal than most people? Interesting?

So, this is the type of relationship that you have with God?
Yes it is. God is The Great Mystery, an infinite power. Not something I can talk to.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 AM

So, you don't believe in God, but worship enlightened people?

Quote:
I do not worship any God.
Then who was you talking about when you said that you believe in a powerful God?

Oh, you worship enlightened people and buddha, now I see why you call God it! Just from my experience, people who believe in buddha don't have a personalize relationship with God as you say. It seems to me like it is more like worshipping a statue.

I think I read somewhere that Buddha is called the sleeping Buddha. I thought it was kind of weird for someone to worship a sleeping Buddha. But hey, we all have the right to worship trees if we like and other things.

I understand your belief now, if you would have just said that you worshiped Buddha then I would have understood your statements about who you worship.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
So, you don't believe in God, but worship enlightened people?

Then who was you talking about when you said that you believe in a powerful God?

Oh, you worship enlightened people and buddha, now I see why you call God it! Just from my experience, people who believe in buddha don't have a personalize relationship with God as you say. It seems to me like it is more like worshipping a statue.

I think I read somewhere that Buddha is called the sleeping Buddha. I thought it was kind of weird for someone to worship a sleeping Buddha. But hey, we all have the right to worship trees if we like and other things.

I understand your belief now, if you would have just said that you worshiped Buddha then I would have understood your statements about who you worship.
I do not worship Buddha. You seem to be looking for a simple answer in what I am saying. I go to Buddhist temples, and you might call me a Buddhist, but my views are not that simple.

I sometimes go to the temple and worship a statue of Buddha, but when I do this, I am not worshipping Buddha. I am worshipping myself, and this beautiful world. The Buddha statue is just a representation of enlightenment, peace, and beauty. This is how many Buddhists see it. They are not worshipping the person himself, they are worshipping the ideas it represents, especially as they exist within themselves. I am not specifically worshipping Gautama Buddha himself, although I hold the highest respect for him and he is worthy of reverance.

I pay reverance to some things, and I worship some things. There is a difference.

I do not see God as seperate from myself and this world. I see myself and this world as part of God, as full of God energy. When I look into the mirror, I see God. When I look some people in the eye, when I look at a mountain, the moon, a painting, hear a song, feel the wind on my face, I experience God. When I feel myslf breathing, it is God. This is my relationship with God.

You are confused because you are thinking that God must be something seperate and outside of ourselves. You seem to be looking for a quick and short answer instead of going deep and abstract.

I do believe in a God. After studying every religion heavily, and studying science heavily, I think that there is a God in some form. But I think that this God is mysterious. I have a few opinions about what I think God MIGHT be like. But I will not claim to be sure of any of it.

The word "God" is very tricky too. This word means different things, in different contexts. It is not a word to be taken lightly, and it's not a word to be defined too heavily. It is used in different ways.

Does this make it more clear?

And all of those things you said about Buddhism do show me that you do not understand it much. You're very mistaken and confused about how Buddhists worship. And you seem to be looking down upon it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality