Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsdfz View Post
As I look around these forums, I can't help but notice people pleading for evidence of God's existence.
Where are unbelievers pleading? It is the believer that are postulating so the onus is on them to prove their god.
Quote:
God does not NEED to prove himself. Someone please show me, in the Bible, where it says GOD MUST PROVE HIMSELF.
Well most atheists came to their conclusions studying the bible, you think that is a good call?
Quote:
He does not need to. Why SHOULD God prove himself? Even if He DID, the disbelievers would still be...disbelievers - just like those that don't believe we landed on the moon to THIS DATE, they wouldn't believe in God if he appeared before them.
Nope, that would be proof positive if he/she appeared. As for the moon, we have pics, audio, video, and not to mention the reflectors on the moon that have a laser fired at them daily with a bounce back.

But speaking of the moon, the moon rocks are dated at ±4.5Bn years old. The bible (as the YEC camp says) 6035 years. Which is it seeing you believe we went to the moon.
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, look at your hands, feet, your child. Look at the trees, the sky, the sunset. Drink water, breathe air. That is good enough proof to me that we were created on a planet that we can live on.
What is good enough for you is not good enough for all. I am guessing you recently had a child.
Quote:
However, God needs no REASON to prove Himself to anyone. It is your choice to find Him, not for Him to find you.
Well I guess that John 6:44 can be blacked out of the bible then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
\Would you really want to KNOW God? I'm not just saying "know" as in "see" or "pray" too, but on a Human level, would you want to know him and understand him 100%? I would NOT want to KNOW God, because if I knew and understood everything about God, then that would make me just as knowledgeable, if not more, than Himself. So, who are we as humans to question or try to understand a great power.
Two verses.
My people perish for a lack of knowledge
you are gods

After all, the bible claims we are created in his/her image, hence logic dictates we should be able to attain the same godlikeness.
Quote:
The Bible was written for us to understand how we've came about - it was not written for people to disbelieve or try and disprove the existence of God like we have since the start of times. If we understand the greater power, He is no longer the greater power since we've figured him out.
And therein lies the problem. One must deny all logic, believe and then read the bible. Hence come to a conclusion and try and make the facts fit. Problem is, if you really study the bible, textual criticism, you invariably come away with more doubt.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
God has given us the Bible to READ it and UNDERSTAND it.
And where exactly does it say god authored the bible?
Quote:
The Bible, has been tested time and time and time AND time again. It is the most tested Book..wait..most tested THING that has ever been on THIS earth. You would think if the Bible was written by a drunken man, we would have figured this out YEARS ago, right? Wait, I'm sorry, John the apostle was drunk, therefore the Bible is wrong. Right? I've heard that plenty of times.
Tested time and again, where is the proof of this?
Quote:
What I am suggesting is who are we to question our creator? We are here for a purpose whether you like it or not. That's all I need to know. I know my purpose in life and why I'm here. Do you?
What is that purpose? Why can we not question when the bible clearly states "come let us reason together"
Quote:
You won't like this, but - no, we did not form from ooze. No, we did not form from monkeys. No, "nothing" did not one day appear and POOF, humans, birds, dinosaurs grew. Did you know the Bible mentions dinosaurs PLENTY of times?
You know nothing of evolution.

Dinosaurs in the bible, plenty of times, please enlighten us. Oh wait you mean Job the Behemoth and the Leviathan - Hippo and Crocodile. Look it up in the concordance.

Answers in Genesis is a fairy tale site for adults that never grew up.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,399,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Dinosaurs in the bible, plenty of times, please enlighten us. Oh wait you mean Job the Behemoth and the Leviathan - Hippo and Crocodile. Look it up in the concordance.
If they actually took the time to do the simple research, it is commonly known that Behemoth & Leviathan are indeed both the Hippo & Crocodile/Alligator. The description especially of Leviathan, fits perfectly for the crocodile. Job chap 41 (date written 1475 B.C.E. dinos as recently as 3500 years ??? )

So here's a Time-Out of sorts. I'm also on a Native fish forum. I have been looking for the imfamous ThreeSpined Stickleback to put in some ponds behind my house to control mosquitos. Closest variety looks like one in Iceland, but I'll have to keep looking.

I was also reading an article about Leviathan (American Alligator) and the benefit for what they actually do for mankind. They and Crocodiles seem to eat quite a few predatory fish that eat other fish. One of these is an incredible Kool dinosaur looking fish in the Everglades called the Spotted Garfish. The amazing thing is, if Leviathans (Crocs/Gators) were'nt around, this Garfish would take over and kill everything else. Take a look at this mini-dino looking thing and bear in mind that this is just a baby.

When I saw this video, I knew I had to have a fish tank and raise some of these baby dinos.

YouTube - spotted gar fish attack

I like this name given to them better: AQUASAUR

Problem is they would out grow the aquarium and I'd have to eat it.

We need to protect all of our Earth's Leviathans.

Last edited by bluepacific; 04-15-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Hey Blue, your pics are too big from flickr. Resize them down to a 640x480 or 480x320. They are too big in bandwidth.

I have bandwith cap limits on my account. SA you know

Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,399,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Hey Blue, your pics are too big from flickr. Resize them down to a 640x480 or 480x320. They are too big in bandwidth.

I have bandwith cap limits on my account. SA you know
I keep forgetting, you even pay for local calls across the street. Maybe I can try something else.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I do not worship Buddha. You seem to be looking for a simple answer in what I am saying. I go to Buddhist temples, and you might call me a Buddhist, but my views are not that simple.

I sometimes go to the temple and worship a statue of Buddha, but when I do this, I am not worshipping Buddha. I am worshipping myself, and this beautiful world. The Buddha statue is just a representation of enlightenment, peace, and beauty. This is how many Buddhists see it. They are not worshipping the person himself, they are worshipping the ideas it represents, especially as they exist within themselves. I am not specifically worshipping Gautama Buddha himself, although I hold the highest respect for him and he is worthy of reverance.

I pay reverance to some things, and I worship some things. There is a difference.

I do not see God as seperate from myself and this world. I see myself and this world as part of God, as full of God energy. When I look into the mirror, I see God. When I look some people in the eye, when I look at a mountain, the moon, a painting, hear a song, feel the wind on my face, I experience God. When I feel myslf breathing, it is God. This is my relationship with God.

You are confused because you are thinking that God must be something seperate and outside of ourselves. You seem to be looking for a quick and short answer instead of going deep and abstract.

I do believe in a God. After studying every religion heavily, and studying science heavily, I think that there is a God in some form. But I think that this God is mysterious. I have a few opinions about what I think God MIGHT be like. But I will not claim to be sure of any of it.

The word "God" is very tricky too. This word means different things, in different contexts. It is not a word to be taken lightly, and it's not a word to be defined too heavily. It is used in different ways.

Does this make it more clear?

And all of those things you said about Buddhism do show me that you do not understand it much. You're very mistaken and confused about how Buddhists worship. And you seem to be looking down upon it.
I was only confused because I was reading your post of talking about a powerful God, but then read a post of you saying something else. That is why I was coufused on what you believed. If you had just said that you worshipped Buddha I have understood more.

Buddhism- is often referred to as reincarnation- the concept that people are reborn after dying in fact, most individuals go through many cycles of birth, living, death and rebirth. In reincarnation, the indiv. may recur repeatedly.

In rebirth, if a person does not necessarily return to earth as the same entity ever again. AFter many such cycles, if a person releases their attrachment to desire and the self, they can attain Nirvana. This is a state of liberation and freedom from suffering. The teachings of Buddha are aimed solely to liberate sentinent beings from suffering.

Buddha- means enlightened one or awakened one. Buddha refers to Siddhattha Guatama. A Buddha is a person who is completely free from all faults and mental obstructions. Also means who has awakened from the sleep of ignorance and see things as they really are.

I have done some reseach on this in the past. NOw that I understand that you are into Buddhism not I understand your statements that you have made.

This is only a small bit that I have in my file, but just listed a few.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Red face OddLogic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
I have seen this statement from a lot of Christians on here and it really sums it all up to a T.

Christians - Don't like to think, thus obviously sticking with a dogmatic doctrine that tells them what to think. Willing to shape anything they encounter in reality to fit their dogmatic doctrine, whether contradictory or not. If they become cognizant of a contradiction, then they choose not to think about it.

I believe this to be a fairly astute definition.
Beyond your wildest estimations, rickmahorn! I'll add, though, that they seem quite willing to fight about and defend the things they won't think about.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
god created the big chemistry set for us humans to tinker with!!!and we are shurley tinkering.. poof were all gone.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,633 times
The problem with this is that it is using flawed logic. Most people find it rational to not believe in the graveyard gods because there is no evidence for them. Why should Yahweh be any different. God can't be exempt from reason just because it's the only way a believer can prove they exist. If you want to prove the truth that a god exists, then evidence is required to prove that god exists. For those who will say that nature is god to atheists/agnostics, they are wrong and basing their beliefs on value judgements, not facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality