Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 02:51 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh, I have lots of clues, having spent twenty years reading and trying to follow the bible...You have no facts...None at all.
Just because you couldn't follow the bible does not make it untrue. Sorry, not trying to sound unconcerned, but I have come to relize that everyone is not going to believe in God because everyone does not have faith and some don't even want to come to Him. Which is fine, you choose to not believe in God, but there are some that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 03:03 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Just because you couldn't follow the bible does not make it untrue. Sorry, not trying to sound unconcerned, but I have come to relize that everyone is not going to believe in God because everyone does not have faith and some don't even want to come to Him. Which is fine, you choose to not believe in God, but there are some that do.
I couldn't believe the bible simply because I was born with a curious mind and the ability to reason logically....There is very little logic in the bible, and I cannot believe something to be true just because it is written down. I was not about to sell my questioning mind and reality down the river in order to blindly believe the impossible events described in the bible, so I researched the origins of said book.
My research was what closed the door on my Christianity...I've never looked back, and every thing I've read or experienced since has only confirmed that I made the right choice. The bible is not what you think it is.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I couldn't believe the bible simply because I was born with a curious mind and the ability to reason logically....There is very little logic in the bible, and I cannot believe something to be true just because it is written down. I was not about to sell my questioning mind and reality down the river in order to blindly believe the impossible events described in the bible, so I researched the origins of said book.
My research was what closed the door on my Christianity...I've never looked back, and every thing I've read or experienced since has only confirmed that I made the right choice. The bible is not what you think it is.
Sorry to hear that, the bible is what I think that it is and I never looked back. I didn't have the experience that you had, I found out about God before I even started reading the bible. He came and found me and I have been with Him every since.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:24 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
Quote:
I couldn't believe the bible simply because I was born with a curious mind and the ability to reason logically....There is very little logic (for me to find) in the bible, and I cannot believe something to be true just because it is written down. I was not about to sell my questioning mind and reality down the river in order to blindly believe the (thus to me) impossible events described in the bible, so I researched the origins of said book.

forgive me thinking my understanding into your post, sanspeur, only this way i can respond to the op by asking, to what constructive thought was this thread supposed to lead?

btw. the bible does make sense to me again, i do not need to discredit it every time a scientific, political and/or economic issue is (to be) negotiated.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:55 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,489 times
Post Of gedanken: the man thinking of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
forgive me thinking my understanding into your post, ....
....btw. the bible does make sense to me again, i do not need to discredit it every time a scientific, political and/or economic issue is (to be) negotiated.

'Thinking my understanding' : was that a true Gedanken of regards to the idea of thoughts existing in some abstract encapacitated realm for the god considered in the definitions we have been accustomed to from and as of the Bible; or is it an honest failing of idealism for the problem at hand that you believe it now that you can imagine that understanding for the moment? I thought the thread had an invested reality for, yes, a gedanken type of consideration, imagined God if you like, about how we could metaphysically think of God showing Himself against our whining down here on Earth. Such has been done by people of sincere faith throughout History, and that just makes the distaste for insincere believers, hypocritical believers, and immoral suffering believers (like you and I, I think) of the alternative anschuung type God, people misguided or something, not so nice.

Nice people don't happen by religion; do they? Gedanken is not the nice result, but I've given up that there is something intuitively pleasing on the whole site's concern for doubting morals because of God.

Another question: does the bible explain doubt for morals coming from God? Anywhere; except for Jonah in the Whale, because Jonah is just stubborn for sharing...... I add, as a personality of kind.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:24 PM

thanks for at least one constructive response in a long while ... and i do not mean to be offensive to anyone!

mondofacto dictionary - definition of Gedanken

should there be such a difference, such a gap .... and since when would it seem to me as (maybe already) left unbridged..

seems we enjoy leaving each other in every possible kind of haziness (my fave expression ) - it's good for business and competition.

bad habit, i guess.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:29 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
forgive me thinking my understanding into your post, sanspeur, only this way i can respond to the op by asking, to what constructive thought was this thread supposed to lead?

btw. the bible does make sense to me again, i do not need to discredit it every time a scientific, political and/or economic issue is (to be) negotiated.

What is your problem? I was addressing shawn.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
What is your problem? I was addressing shawn.
sure, got it. never again!

Last edited by effie g-tad; 04-18-2009 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: knowing the attitude:"you give it, you don't take it."

Old 04-18-2009, 06:45 PM

657 posts, read 1,600,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
What's there to disprove?
millions and millions of years, instead of a few thousand

Old 04-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
millions and millions of years, instead of a few thousand
millions of what, I don't see facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality