Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:22 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,075,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Kidbrick...I'm well, I'm speechless. I agree with everything you say here. If I understand you correctly about leaving a pharmacy that sold birth-control pills. I know there are some places that take the soft option of allowing certain employees to opt out of doing certain work of which they disapprove - not always on the basis of religion! but I disapprove of that practice.

I think the only thing we disagree on then is the question of allowing employees to opt-out?

I think it should be up to the employer. If the employer cares about employee-morale, it behooves them to give them some freedoms. Ultimately though, I take a libertarian view. The employee needs to be willing to do what's asked, or they need to go work somewhere else.

If the pharmacy flat out declines to sell them, the market will determine if they are punished by it or not--I don't think the government has the right to require a private business to sell something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I honestly don't disagree with you on the above points. If I could not, in good conscience, issue a marriage license to a homosexual couple and my job absolutely required me to do it without unreasonable accomodation (say, my co-worker volunteered to cover the window for 5 minutes), then I'd need to find a new job.

The exception to the rule that I can think of would be if I was running a service such as a pharmacy and it was against my religious views to provide birth control to people. At least in my town there are a million pharmacies. I should not be required to violate my beliefs by providing them. If I was an employee of a pharmacy that sold them, I should be required to do what my employer requires of me or find a new job.
Not trying to start an argument with you and I will in no way "slam" or attempt to insult or engage you no matter what your answer. I am just curious. Do you then think it okay for a racist working at a marriage registration office to ask the window be covered for 5 minutes when an interracial couple walked up to apply for a license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality