Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times

Advertisements

Since "Old Testament" is a Christian term in the first place, I don't see why they should be embarrassed about it. I'm Jewish, and I can tell you that we don't refer to those books of the bible as "Old Testament;" it's simply Scripture to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM

47 posts, read 59,508 times
My exp has been many do indead run from it like a deer crossing the road...they give it a glancing look and then its off to the wonderful world of JC

Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Since "Old Testament" is a Christian term in the first place, I don't see why they should be embarrassed about it. I'm Jewish, and I can tell you that we don't refer to those books of the bible as "Old Testament;" it's simply Scripture to us.
Because they CLAIM it as part of devotional collection and as basis for some of their Christian doctrines where and when it apparently suits them. Without it (for some of them), the whole Jesus myth falls flat on its face as well as a few other things.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Most Christians I have known don't pay attention to much of the OT, excepting the Genesis, story, the Ten Commandments (first set) and the prophecies of a Messiah. The rest is pretty much swept under the rug, as the draconian content is embarrassing.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
I think a Christian can be embarassed if their minds are shut tight and locked out of reality.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I think a Christian can be embarassed if their minds are shut tight and locked out of reality.
Are you saying that most are embarrassed?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I think I asked this question around here before but not on this forum and as back then, I do not really expect any Christian to say they are because that would be tantamount to not being a Christian.

Anyway, today I was sitting with my gf and we were talking about this. In my estimation, the Old Testament is that old, crazy, loony uncle you wish to keep hidden in the closet and hope no one notices all the noise he is making. The contents are silly, bloody, ethnocentric, sexist, fabricated, embellished, exaggerated and so on AND some of these things are actually claimed to have been said, done or ordered by some god some people today tell us is perfect, holy and just. As a result, Christians find themselves always having to defend the dilemma and irreconcilable nonsense found on some of its pages using all kinds of verbal gymnastics.

As far as I can see, the Christians need the Old Testament for three reasons, neither of which really has basis when you really check it out. They need it to claim that it makes some vague "prophecies" about our times. They need to to prove it predicted Jesus and they need the early parts of it to prove their god created everything and that man rebelled against this god who from that moment, has been itching to just kill everyone which explains Jesus. In addition, some cherry pick a few "thou shalt nots" for an occasion or two.

Without the need for the above, I am sure the Old Testament would not be a part of today's Bible.

Thoughts?
It is not in the declaired...error of this presummed book of old testememnt...that is to be brought to judgement before God...it is those who Have gone againsts the word of God....they will be brought infornt of that creator...for Humans are now distroying the very fabric of Life, with their bent behavior...doing the opposite of this most enlightening Book...

So my thoughts are sound, and appearently showing the cause and effect of being stupidly human!

Cause they believe they are educated in doing something better/to the opposite, than what was written in the old testement for eternity to come into view.

Alas the end of the world is at hand...and humans are the maker of that senerio....oh they are trying to avoid it...but the more they try to avoid it, under the current Idolic system...the more they look the fool for not fighting back the upheaveals that are now festering!
Soon the dictatorship and one rule governing body of the evil one will come...and enslave the world to doom....and that will be done by those who oppose what that old testement says to do, by God.

As that Goes undone till this day...some are starting to see through the vail....and in that a path less taken or not at all taken seems to be standing out more so today, than Yesterday....because it is all backwards.....and we can see the polluted planet is not going to bare healthy people continually, if this industrial stupidity continues under that IDol...
As more people become aware...and see..and know...the more need to slaughter those people, and stop them from uprising against the system which is in error of God's word and will.

Now you can choke on that..as you breath in the polluted air, and sip the tainted waters, and eat the unclean things they now sell for life under that IDOL told not to have before God.

and all this talk of Human sacrifices....for or to protect the IDOLIC system?///...hmmm...what are you thinking with this post?

Some people are blinder than blind.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:48 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

Amen,...words of wisdom are never old.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Yes, I think Christians are embarassed by the Old Testament.

When I mention chapter 31 in the Book of Numbers to Christians, they definitely get very uneasy.

I'm amazed the Jews are not embarassed as well about that chapter.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:16 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes, I think Christians are embarassed by the Old Testament.

When I mention chapter 31 in the Book of Numbers to Christians, they definitely get very uneasy.

I'm amazed the Jews are not embarassed as well about that chapter.
Christians cherry pick though their OT to use what they can to prove their NT.

Am I as a Jew embarrassed? No, but I do find some of the writing problematic. I do not take any of it literally, nor do I accept that everything it speaks of actually happened.

It was written by ancient people for their time and place. History and Judaism has changed and how we view the writings has changed too.

Now I will say that my understanding will not be the same as other Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality