Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,445,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
The glory of Israel will fly away like a bird, for your children will die at birth or perish in the womb or never even be conceived. Even if your children do survive to grow up, I will take them from you. It will be a terrible day when I turn away and leave you alone. I have watched Israel become as beautiful and pleasant as Tyre. But now Israel will bring out her children to be slaughtered." O LORD, what should I request for your people? I will ask for wombs that don't give birth and breasts that give no milk. The LORD says, "All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them. I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions. I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels. The people of Israel are stricken. Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit. And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children." (Hosea 9:11-16 NLT)

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Yeah, there's some just, loving commands from a wonderful, merciful God.
God is not saying that he wants to do this, he is saying these are the consequences of their evil actions. If I tell you, that you will get an electric shock if you touch a wall socket. I am not wishing it on you, but rather warning you of the consequenses.

Look and Ninevah, Jonah went to them and prophesied that they would be judged because of their ways. They repented and God spared Ninevah. They could have suffered the same fate as sodem and Gohmorrah. Isreal could have suffered like Sodem and Gohmorrah, but God suffered long with them, because they were seed of his friend Abraham. And God remembered they came out of Jaccob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,445,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
What, you don't see killing babies at birth as wrong?
Yes for man to do it, because we were commanded not to kill. God is God and he can do whatever he wants with his creation.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,889,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Or maybe it's the preponderance of British people among their current writers.
Hey! What are you trying to say here buddy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
It's like a dad saying "Oh son don't hit girls..." While at the same time the dad is hitting mom.
Yes, this is interesting isn't it? We have Biblegod telling us that if someone does wrong to us we should forgive them. We should treat others as we expect to be treated etc. Yet it would appear that if we wrong him, he is not prepared to do what he expects us to do.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:52 AM

33,582 posts, read 37,218,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Yes for man to do it, because we were commanded not to kill. God is God and he can do whatever he wants with his creation.
Reason number 73...(Why I don't believe.)

Old 09-16-2009, 11:08 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,559,842 times
Lightbulb the real OT was kissed goodbye in the 1500's

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I think I asked this question around here before but not on this forum and as back then, I do not really expect any Christian to say they are because that would be tantamount to not being a Christian.

Anyway, today I was sitting with my gf and we were talking about this. In my estimation, the Old Testament is that old, crazy, loony uncle you wish to keep hidden in the closet and hope no one notices all the noise he is making. The contents are silly, bloody, ethnocentric, sexist, fabricated, embellished, exaggerated and so on AND some of these things are actually claimed to have been said, done or ordered by some god some people today tell us is perfect, holy and just. As a result, Christians find themselves always having to defend the dilemma and irreconcilable nonsense found on some of its pages using all kinds of verbal gymnastics.

As far as I can see, the Christians need the Old Testament for three reasons, neither of which really has basis when you really check it out. They need it to claim that it makes some vague "prophecies" about our times. They need to to prove it predicted Jesus and they need the early parts of it to prove their god created everything and that man rebelled against this god who from that moment, has been itching to just kill everyone which explains Jesus. In addition, some cherry pick a few "thou shalt nots" for an occasion or two.

Without the need for the above, I am sure the Old Testament would not be a part of today's Bible.

Thoughts?
All signs of potential & evidentiary dissent from Christian theory were purged from the Talmud by the Vatican in the 1500's:
The universities of the Italian ... - Google Books

So we don't know what the Old Testament is truly about, do we? It seems it doesn't support Christian theory after all (the vatican wasn't quite as clever as it thought) if you look at this site:

Messiah Truth: A Jewish Response to Missionary Groups

If christians took an HONEST look, they would be rethink their postions. They would realize they have consented to pure fantasy.

Kate

Old 09-18-2009, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
OH MAN!! Too Funny! Can't stop laughing! That part about concern for animals!!! Didn't god require the slaughter and bloodshed of them to make him feel better about our "sin"?! And didn't he enjoy the smell of burning flesh, again to make him feel better about how bad and horrible his little people were?

The sacrifices were not to make Him feel better, they were to show to us how ugly rebellion really is.
Can you imagine how Adam and Eve felt, having never known death, to kill a living creature? To know it was because of a choice they made?
These records show the consequences of sin, they do not condone it.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,172,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Atheists/Irreligious types on this board seem easily amused. I've noticed this on atheism in general. As it's basically just a void I guess mockery and sarcasm is all they've got. Or maybe it's the preponderance of British people among their current writers.

In any event the OT isn't vegetarian and animal sacrifice occurs, but in general there are statements about killing animals humanely and giving thanks for them. Certainly more than I expected. Jews and Christians have been active in avoiding cruelty to animals or people.

And now you can return to your adolescent world of scorn and mockery.
Irrational person - God says we must kill disobedient children.
Rational person - Wow that make sense (sarcasm)
Irrational person - I guess mockery and sarcasm is all you got
Rational person - WTF?

Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,172,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL View Post
The sacrifices were not to make Him feel better, they were to show to us how ugly rebellion really is.
Can you imagine how Adam and Eve felt, having never known death, to kill a living creature? To know it was because of a choice they made?
These records show the consequences of sin, they do not condone it.
Failed argument.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:30 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,382,061 times
Of course, I'm not embarrassed by the Old Testament. It is what Christianity is based on and it teaches us so much about God. Before I studied the Old Testament I would just read parts at random. Imagine picking up a novel and reading pages at random! Once I started studying it and looking at the Bible as a whole I got a whole new insight into it. The main surprise for me was that the Old Testament does not portray an angry vengeful God (as it seems to if you just hone in on random parts) but instead portrays an incredibly loving one. God is faithful and God has bent over backwards to save us again and again and again.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,661,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
All signs of potential & evidentiary dissent from Christian theory were purged from the Talmud by the Vatican in the 1500's:
The universities of the Italian ... - Google Books

So we don't know what the Old Testament is truly about, do we? It seems it doesn't support Christian theory after all (the vatican wasn't quite as clever as it thought)
We do if we aren't reading versions that came through the Vatican. You can get a perfectly reasonable English translation of Scripture (those of us who call Judaism our religion don't use the slightly condescending term "Old Testament") put out by the Hebrew Publishing Society. It doesn't contain any changes instituted through the years by the Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality