Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:20 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,902,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Relationships.

But actually, since I'm not perfect, I start a task hoping it will work out--but if it goes sideways, then I pitch it and start from scratch. It may work out, it might not...I don't know.
Well so do we all but you ignore the crux of the matter TK. We are not omniscient. Now would you start a relationship if you KNEW that it was going to end disastrously? Would you start a task KNOWING that is was going to fail? That's what Yahweh did. Created something knowing full well it would not work out. He went ahead and did it knowing full well that he would have to kill off his creation and start again. He sacrificed himself to himself to atone for the mistakes of himself knowing that act would not be accepted by all and that the vast majority of his creation would have to be punished because they don't believe. Omniscience is the key here.

Everything you read about in the OT was known to your god. The 'original sin' of Adam and Eve, the killings, the slaughter, the disobedience of man, the 'evil', the rapes etc, etc. If you are not embarrassed by the OT you damn well should be!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,760,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well so do we all but you ignore the crux of the matter TK. We are not omniscient. Now would you start a relationship if you KNEW that it was going to end disastrously? Would you start a task KNOWING that is was going to fail? That's what Yahweh did. Created something knowing full well it would not work out. He went ahead and did it knowing full well that he would have to kill off his creation and start again. He sacrificed himself to himself to atone for the mistakes of himself knowing that act would not be accepted by all and that the vast majority of his creation would have to be punished because they don't believe. Omniscience is the key here.

Everything you read about in the OT was known to your god. The 'original sin' of Adam and Eve, the killings, the slaughter, the disobedience of man, the 'evil', the rapes etc, etc. If you are not embarrassed by the OT you damn well should be!!
Past experience has shown that they won't work out--so that tends to indicate something to avoid getting into. Yet, I still do, knowing it probably won't work.

By the way, how do you know that God, as spoken of in the Bible, is omniscient? Do you really think such a being would concentrate on the littlest detail--or be more of a "big picture" kind of thinker?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 PM

33,617 posts, read 37,264,831 times
Default Are Christians embarassed by the Old Testament?

If they aren't, they should be. If the old Testament is true and there is a god, he is a genocidal monster, who's atrocities will never be equaled.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Yet, I still do, knowing it probably won't work.
Take out the word 'probably' and how does it look now?

Quote:
By the way, how do you know that God, as spoken of in the Bible, is omniscient? Do you really think such a being would concentrate on the littlest detail--or be more of a "big picture" kind of thinker?
I hardly think that the complete failure of his 'creation' to the extent that it would have to be wiped can be viewed as a little detail. If he didn't foresee THAT...well, what can I say!!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 AM

The whole of human civilization, when compared with everything else happening in the universe, probably is a minor detail.

I can't take out the word "probably"--as I'm not all-knowing. But I do expect that my relationships will fail, and enter them anyhow.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
The whole of human civilization, when compared with everything else happening in the universe, probably is a minor detail.

I can't take out the word "probably"--as I'm not all-knowing. But I do expect that my relationships will fail, and enter them anyhow.
You're missing it every time TK. We are not talking about you 'expecting' it, we are saying that you KNOW it will fail. You are omniscient. You know it will fail. Why do it?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You're missing it every time TK. We are not talking about you 'expecting' it, we are saying that you KNOW it will fail. You are omniscient. You know it will fail. Why do it?
I am not omniscient though, and have no reason to expect that this God fellow is either.

But you know what? Why do they say, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again"? Isn't it more reasonable to quit trying that thing and moving on to something you already do well?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,153,013 times
Quote:

Failure is a good teacher (for us humans).

Consider this plan: God is showing how crappy evil is before He shows us how great goodness can be.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,561,505 times
Quote:

I'm more embarrassed by the history of say... Hitler, The crusades, the slaughter of Native American people, slavery. It's all pretty bad.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:21 AM

Rafius:

Every time I've owned a car, it's broken down with a major problem within six months. Perhaps I should stop buying cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality