Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:30 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,902,709 times

Advertisements

Are atheists simply rebellious?

No!! we are complexly rebellious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 10:00 PM

64,077 posts, read 40,364,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you ever think about what you post? You say you are mature enough not to be obnoxious....Then talk about the dregs of humanity...Meaning who?
Meaning those with so little love or compassion in their hearts they go out of their way to ridicule, denigrate, berate, mock and "put down" those who do not think as they do.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:37 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,059,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
KC and justme,

Your skepticism is warranted and understandable for you . . . what steps over the line into egotistical . . . is the denigration of other views as "imaginary." Uncorroborated is the neutral term . . . but your egos seem to need to denigrate, ridicule and otherwise "put down" those whose views do not accord with yours. THAT is un-called for and just plain obnoxious.
MC has already answered you but I'll play too.

Ego is something that folk have that think they have that makes them better than the rest of the wurlde - who does that sound like? Theists or atheists?

If anyone does not believe like I do, there are no consequences I espouse in an imaginary hereafter. As for being obnoxious, that is par for the course when a theists wants to suggest that after 30 years as one myself, I was not a true xian(tm) in the 1st place. It does little to assure the woo woos that one can deconvert (read:rehabilitate) after such a long time believing as they do. What erks them more is that the testimonies of liberation of deconversion come across more profound than their conversion testimonies.

Who the son sets free is free indeed is one of them verses that applies to me quite nicely as IMO jesus was likely more a secular dude (w/o the ascribed miracles)

Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,059,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty rhodes View Post
are atheists simply rebellious?

no!! We are complexly rebellious.
+1 :d

Old 11-01-2009, 12:03 AM

16,292 posts, read 28,598,322 times
Quote:
Meaning those with so little love or compassion in their hearts they go out of their way to ridicule, denigrate, berate, mock and "put down" those who do not think as they do.
Yea, and most of them will be at their cult meetings across the country on Sunday morning. The seed of intolerance in our civilization is sown and resown every Sunday morning by the purveyors of hatred and intolerance by those with a bible in their hand. Don't be late

Old 11-01-2009, 09:16 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,730,692 times
Quote:
KC and justme,

Your skepticism is warranted and understandable for you . . . what steps over the line into egotistical . . . is the denigration of other views as "imaginary." Uncorroborated is the neutral term . . . but your egos seem to need to denigrate, ridicule and otherwise "put down" those whose views do not accord with yours. THAT is un-called for and just plain obnoxious.
This is especially funny coming from someone who can't even get through a post complaining about some imagined (sorry, uncorroborated) insults without calling other people egotistical and obnoxious. Is your faith so weak that all you have to offer is insults and personal attacks?

Any chance you want to discuss the point of my post - that the poster I was responding to was trying to conflate two very different meanings of the word faith? I can usually tell I've made a good point when all I get it attempts to change the subject in response.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 AM

64,077 posts, read 40,364,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
This is especially funny coming from someone who can't even get through a post complaining about some imagined (sorry, uncorroborated) insults without calling other people egotistical and obnoxious. Is your faith so weak that all you have to offer is insults and personal attacks?

Any chance you want to discuss the point of my post - that the poster I was responding to was trying to conflate two very different meanings of the word faith? I can usually tell I've made a good point when all I get it attempts to change the subject in response.
If you would forsake all the ridicule and sarcasm when making your points they wouldn't be distracting and require responses. Then your points might be addressed more directly.

I have the benefit of personal experiential validation . . . so my faith is more of a personal "fact" . . . requiring no faith on my part at all. It is impossible (IMO) to encounter the unconditional love and acceptance that characterizes the God who is the foundation of our universe itself and need "faith" to believe in Him.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:04 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,683,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
It's not just atheists it's mankind in general who has rebelled against God. This is nothing new and has been the case even before Jesus time.
Let's face it, not everyone is going to fall for a threatening religion, where the leader and the followers say, "Believe or else....you'll burn in hell."

I'd hardly call someone who disagrees with such pushy dogma, a rebellious person.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:22 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,149,107 times
"Are atheists simply rebellious?"

I practiced religion for quite a few years, but no matter how hard I practiced, I just never got the hang of it.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:29 PM

4,503 posts, read 6,333,096 times
I think that those who think they have it all sown up are the most arrogant of all (no matter what their beliefs are), their egos are so huge that they cannot accept that they could be wrong or that somebody else might use the same information to come to a different conclusion.

I little quote from Socrates...

"He, O men, is the wisest, who, like Socrates, knows that his wisdom is in truth worth nothing"

To be an Atheist is not being rebellious, it is accepting that you don't know all the answers and that the ones that have been put forward are insufficient or even impossible given the evidence so far. Rebellion, to me, sounds like a naughty child disobeying its parents. This is not the case, Atheists have considered the information handed to them and rejected it pending further evidence.

I personally don't consider myself an atheist because I accept the possibility that there is a spiritual side to life. I don't know for sure, and really, neither does anybody else. I think that if there is a god it is so huge and on such a completely different level of understanding and existing that we have no way to even begin to comprehend it. I don't believe in the Christian view of God at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality