Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM

63,973 posts, read 40,253,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
But it's not faith in a religious sense. There's a world of difference between "I have to assume that my senses produce useful information" and "there's an unevidenced god out that that's deeply worried about what I think about him", even if you use the word faith to describe both of them.
The difference disappears when you learn to access ALL your "senses" in a disciplined way and experience the "love and acceptance" firsthand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 02:59 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,808,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
But it's not faith in a religious sense. There's a world of difference between "I have to assume that my senses produce useful information" and "there's an unevidenced god out that that's deeply worried about what I think about him", even if you use the word faith to describe both of them.
Very illogical, THAT assumes your senses are capable of knowning what evidence
is or is not or that what you know is really useful.
Or that the time you perceive this in exists or is even in any way linear or related to anything else outside your mind.

Call it faith, belief ,what you will.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:36 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,771,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
I'm not atheist because of some negative experience with a church, nor because of rebelliousness.

I just thought about it, said "No, that doesn't make sense" and that was the end of it. It was not a dramatic deconversion or liberation.
Same here. After a long period of "cooling off" religiously, I was eventually able/willing to look at it objectively, and that's when I allowed myself to admit to myself that, "Wow, I can no longer pretend I believe this."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I highly doubt it's about being rebellious and more along the lines of following what's cool or popular. Now if everyone believed in God, and one random guy was saying he did not, that would be something different.
I can assure you that it's not popular or cool where I live. In my town, there are three things you don't want anyone to find out about you: That you're liberal, gay, or an atheist. Having heard the way people talk about atheists, I have no plans to tell anyone. It's not worth it.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:55 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,725,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Very illogical, THAT assumes your senses are capable of knowning what evidence
is or is not or that what you know is really useful.
Or that the time you perceive this in exists or is even in any way linear or related to anything else outside your mind.

Call it faith, belief ,what you will.
It's an assumption. Nothing illogical about it since assumptions aren't derived from other claims via logic. It might be incorrect - maybe we can never get useful information about the world from our senses. But in that case we're all basically screwed anyway so what's the harm.

But I'll reiterate my point - it's not faith in a religious sense. There's a world of difference between "I have to assume that my senses produce useful information to do anything at all" and "there's an unevidenced god out that that's deeply worried about what I think about him", even if you use the word faith to describe both of them.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:55 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,058,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Most atheists I've known personally have, IMHO, been lovers of humanity unable to reconcile the unspeakable horrors of this world to the indifference to same on the part of many/most professed believers.
Well based on the most A&A's here on C-D, they were theists but came to the conclusion it is all BS.
Quote:
Most seem to perhaps take more refuge in their ego than might be prudent, but thats up to God to decide, not me.
Ego is something i think is reserved for theists, think about that for awhile OK?
Quote:
In any event God knows why and what motivation any given person has, so I just try to love everyone I can,flawed as I am.
Yes we are all fallible, does not mean we need an imaginary friend to guide us through our lives.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:43 PM

KC and justme,

Your skepticism is warranted and understandable for you . . . what steps over the line into egotistical . . . is the denigration of other views as "imaginary." Uncorroborated is the neutral term . . . but your egos seem to need to denigrate, ridicule and otherwise "put down" those whose views do not accord with yours. THAT is un-called for and just plain obnoxious.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:54 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,698,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
KC and justme,

Your skepticism is warranted and understandable for you . . . what steps over the line into egotistical . . . is the denigration of other views as "imaginary." Uncorroborated is the neutral term . . . but your egos seem to need to denigrate, ridicule and otherwise "put down" those whose views do not accord with yours. THAT is un-called for and just plain obnoxious.
So little kids have "uncorroborated friends". Gotcha.

Why should we really care about being neutral, and overly-pc? If you can state your opinions, we can state ours. And one of our opinions is that gods are imaginary.

You're a big boy, you can handle it.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
So little kids have "uncorroborated friends". Gotcha.

Why should we really care about being neutral, and overly-pc? If you can state your opinions, we can state ours. And one of our opinions is that gods are imaginary.

You're a big boy, you can handle it.
True I am a big boy . . . and mature enough to avoid being unnecessarily obnoxious to others. Then there are the bottom of the barrel people who form the dregs of humanity . . . I still struggle trying to understand what God's purpose for them could possibly be.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,572,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
We keep being told that we were not "true christians(tm)" to begin with or we just never found jesus or we never found the right church.
Those that don't act like sheep will always be seen as rebels. Sheep just gather in a circle and bleat and bleat in their lack of understand that those that don't follow automatically accept fairy tales as reality, but are free thinkers with the ability to reason and recognize the con.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:52 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,212,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True I am a big boy . . . and mature enough to avoid being unnecessarily obnoxious to others. Then there are the bottom of the barrel people who form the dregs of humanity . . . I still struggle trying to understand what God's purpose for them could possibly be.
Do you ever think about what you post? You say you are mature enough not to be obnoxious....Then talk about the dregs of humanity...Meaning who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality