Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:01 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901)
^^^ That and Stupid
Oh, come on. I know many atheists who are quite intelligent. Well, in matters other than faith, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 01:25 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times
Atheists are not rebellious, they just happen to be right.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:41 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,747 times
Exclamation If you believe It; right or wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post

Right?; the truth about everything? I can only wonder if you are right about that one for the immediate instance. Now the question that nobody explains it so often if you were right OR wrong then; a God explains a lot when it is needed in the moment, if you believe It.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Ha ha! Some appear to be rebellious, and maybe a bit stubborn too.

So, what happens to them if they are not right?

Old 10-25-2009, 02:28 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post

What happens to you if you're not right?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 AM

257 posts, read 407,861 times
I highly doubt it's about being rebellious and more along the lines of following what's cool or popular. Now if everyone believed in God, and one random guy was saying he did not, that would be something different.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
If I am not right the same thing happens to me as happens to all atheists. Nothing.

If atheists are not right they will have eternity to contemplate things.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
It depends on who is right. If certain Seventh-Day Adventists here were right I'm a servant of Babylon and probably going to Hell. If the strictest Muslims are right I'm likely an infidel possibly going to Hell.

If atheists are right my end will be the same as that of Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Andrei Sakharov, Linus Pauling, Jonas Salk, and everyone else. I think the argument is that my life until then won't be as good as it could be if I were atheist, but I don't find that very persuasive. True there might be experiences I avoid being a Catholic that I wouldn't as an atheist, but there are experiences I can better appreciate as a Catholic than as an atheist. Once you adjust for education and income levels I really don't think being an atheist is happier or more fulfilling life than that of most religions. Considering I am educated and middle-class it seems like a wash at best.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
If I am not right the same thing happens to me as happens to all atheists. Nothing.

If atheists are not right they will have eternity to contemplate things.
We really have more in common than may you think.

There are lots of different religions out there. Maybe thousands. We both agree they are all fairy tells - except one. I disbelieve in one more religion than you. You disbelieve 99.9% of the religions, while I disbelieve 100%. So we both have a healthy skepticism of religion, but I am just slightly more skeptical than you.

The same thing you think about all those other religions, I agree with you. I just happen to think that about yours, as well.

If you can understand why I don't believe in all those other religions, then you'll understand why I don't believe in yours, too.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I highly doubt it's about being rebellious and more along the lines of following what's cool or popular. Now if everyone believed in God, and one random guy was saying he did not, that would be something different.
What planet are you from, that you think being an atheist is "cool or popular"?

Good grief, if you knew half the sh*t so many of us take for being what we are, you might think twice about the veracity of that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality