Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
If I am not right the same thing happens to me as happens to all atheists. Nothing.

If atheists are not right they will have eternity to contemplate things.
Your "it's either this or that" attitude shows a very narrow world view. You assume that if I'm wrong, then you are right.. but what if we're both wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times
Quote:
If I am not right the same thing happens to me as happens to all atheists. Nothing.

Blah blah blah blah...same old Pascal's Wager sh*t as usual. When are you christers going to come up with something new rather than just parrot the same ages-old crap?

Oh right. Never.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 AM

776 posts, read 1,276,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
We really have more in common than may you think.

There are lots of different religions out there. Maybe thousands. We both agree they are all fairy tells - except one. I disbelieve in one more religion than you. You disbelieve 99.9% of the religions, while I disbelieve 100%. So we both have a healthy skepticism of religion, but I am just slightly more skeptical than you.

The same thing you think about all those other religions, I agree with you. I just happen to think that about yours, as well.

If you can understand why I don't believe in all those other religions, then you'll understand why I don't believe in yours, too.
I appreciate your thoughtful, mature response. But, although I am a Christian, I believe that God may have appeared to other cultures and other people in different forms. I don’t narrowly believe that there is only one true way to the exclusion of all others. Don't get me wrong--I don't subscribe to all religions. There are many faiths that I just don't know enough about, and probably never will. But I am not will to dismiss them as being invalid simply because of my own ignorance.

Your post was quite thoughtful and polite though.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Your "it's either this or that" attitude shows a very narrow world view. You assume that if I'm wrong, then you are right.. but what if we're both wrong?
How could we both be wrong? I think the two alternatives are: You believe there is a God. Or else you don't believe there is a God.

What other alternative is there? You believe there may have been a God at one time, but He is no longer around?

//This is getting a bit off topic. Sorry for threadjack.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Blah blah blah blah...same old Pascal's Wager sh*t as usual. When are you christers going to come up with something new rather than just parrot the same ages-old crap?

Oh right. Never.
Ha ha! It’s ironic that I am the one named Monkey. Yet your responses more resemble what monkeys toss from their cages.

Maybe you should engage in some contemplation instead of spewing childish responses.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times
Quote:
Ha ha! It’s ironic that I am the one named Monkey. Yet your responses more resemble what monkeys toss from their cages.

Maybe you should engage in some contemplation instead of spewing childish responses.
If you don't want a sh*t answer, then don't give me a sh*t response that has been refuted a bajillion times in the past. Give me a thoughtful response that isn't recycled from some apologist site and maybe you'll get a different answer from me. Until you prove yourself capable of an original thought, I'll keep making faces at the monkey because it's fun to see him twitch and he's so predictably silly screaming in anger and rattling the bars on his cage. And gosh...I'm the one that isn't IN the god-cage to begin with. Funny how that works.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,580 times
Quote:
How could we both be wrong? I think the two alternatives are: You believe there is a God. Or else you don't believe there is a God.

What other alternative is there? You believe there may have been a God at one time, but He is no longer around?
Maybe there is a jealous God who sends people to Hell unless they followed his non-Christian religion. Maybe there's a God who only likes atheists. Maybe there is an alien, inhuman God who dispenses happy afterlives, unhappy afterlives and oblivion based on obscure criteria.

Maybe there is a God who sends everybody to Hell unless they scratch their head right after reading this sentence! So you better scratch your head right now. You know, just in case.

By the way, the argument you're making is called Pascal's Wager and every atheist here has heard it roughly a couple billion times before.
EDIT: a quick search reveals that Pascal's Wager has been mentioned on 4 pages worth of threads, including two threads specifically dedicated to it. I hope you understand why your use of it caused such a negative reaction.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
By the way, the argument you're making is called Pascal's Wager and every atheist here has heard it roughly a couple billion times before.
EDIT: a quick search reveals that Pascal's Wager has been mentioned on 4 pages worth of threads, including two threads specifically dedicated to it. I hope you understand why your use of it caused such a negative reaction.
Wow, Roxolan. Thanks for your insightful response. Did you bother to read the post from the previous page to which I responded? Well, I wouldn’t want you to strain your rebellious little fingers with the effort required to click that mouse. So here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal
Ha ha! Some appear to be rebellious, and maybe a bit stubborn too.

So, what happens to them if they are not right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1
What happens to you if you're not right?
Quote:

My response—a paraphrasing of the so-called Pascal's Wager from note 233 of his Thoughts publication (Pensées)—seems to be an entirely appropriate response to Spotted1's question. So tell me Roxol, why did my timely use of this logic pose such rebellious, childishly negative responses?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,937 times
Quote:
Wow, Roxolan. Thanks for your insightful response. Did you bother to read the post from the previous page to which I responded? Well, I wouldn’t want you to strain your rebellious little fingers with the effort required to click that mouse. So here you go:

My response—a paraphrasing of the so-called Pascal's Wager from note 233 of his Thoughts publication (Pensées)—seems to be an entirely appropriate response to Spotted1's question. So tell me Roxol, why did my timely use of this logic pose such rebellious, childishly negative responses?
Pascal's Wager is never an appropriate response because it's so easily refuted. The "us vs them" is far too narrow when there's thousands of possibilities, not just two. What if we are both wrong? What if I'm wrong and there is a god, but you're also wrong and the God you've dedicated your life to is not the god that does exist?

As I asked Lightinsky in the other thread.. How many deities will you kneel down to in worship in hopes that you get the right one?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 PM

970 posts, read 1,700,580 times
Quote:
Wow, Roxolan. Thanks for your insightful response. Did you bother to read the post from the previous page to which I responded?
I did, as a matter of fact. I believe I have shown you a few examples in which an afterlife (or lack thereof) would prove both of us wrong.
Quote:
I believe I have already answered that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan
every atheist here has heard [Pascal's Wager] roughly a couple billion times before.
EDIT: a quick search reveals that Pascal's Wager has been mentioned on 4 pages worth of threads, including two threads specifically dedicated to it.
While Mercury Cougar's reaction may have been excessive, I share his feelings on the matter. Pascal's Wager is a dead horse that has been beaten to a bloody paste - in fact, it had already been refuted in Pascal's time. Yet not a week comes by before I meet a theist who pretends it's still breathing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality