Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:17 AM

646 posts, read 1,613,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
You may not believe that Jesus was the Son of God. But almost every religion acknowledges Him as a Prophet, a Holy Man filled with love and kindness, and compassion.
You are wrong here. There is only one religion that recognizes JC as a prophet, and that is Islam. One is not many.

Quote:
So, to ridicule Him in the way that you have is beyond disrespectful. Would you speak that way of Mother Theresa if she were beaten, spit at, whipped, tortured, mocked, and then hung on a cross to die? After spending her life giving everything she had to the poor, the sick, and the hungry?
Mother Theresa is very problematic. The books of her order are closed, but there do seem to have been huge discrepancies between what was donated to her order, and what was spent on the poor. It is quite possible that she actually spent most of the money on proselytizing or sending it to the vatican.

MT did not actually provide very good care to the poor, and did not give everything she had to the poor.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:57 AM

179 posts, read 120,482 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, when something happens thousands of years ago, people (especially non-believers in this case) tend to view it with absolutely no compassion.

You may not believe that Jesus was the Son of God. But almost every religion acknowledges Him as a Prophet, a Holy Man filled with love and kindness, and compassion.

So, to ridicule Him in the way that you have is beyond disrespectful.
Unfortunately, when scientists continue to uncover fossils of long dead animals which date from millions upon millions of years ago, rock formations, and sediment samples which all point to Earth atleast 4 billion years old, Christians tend to view it with absolutely no compassion.

Always citing their bible as "all the proof they need". So while it may be disrespectful to ridicule Jesus, it is also disrespectful to refer to gays as "abominations" or "perverts" (not very "Christian" language btw) despite the mountain of scientific evidence that shows being gay is normal.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:00 AM

179 posts, read 120,482 times
I was watching national geographic and in India, there is a temple where people go to pray to the "rat gods". They literally believe that these rats hold some kind of divine power.

Most Christians would laugh at this. But the reality is that every religion is very much the same--incoherent ramblings with no supporting evidence, no way to track down the people who came up with the concept, wrote the bible, etc. Not to mention scientific evidence which everyday explains things about our world and our bodies that the bible either fails to mention or gives some primative explanation of.

It's sad how people always need something to believe in....no matter how irrational.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,763,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
arguy1973 ,you are welcome.
I really appreciate it that you rethink about your religion after reading atheists' posts.

However,someday,when you realize what you used to believe is wrong and decide to join we atheists,you will thank us a million!

Have a nice day!Enjoy your meditation on religion.
Actually, I didnt have to "rethink" anything, nor have I ever doubted my faith in Christ, I pulled out the Bible because I had forgotten exactly what the verse said, and I didnt want to forget anything. I dont consider that I have religion, I have Jesus.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:01 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,269,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Actually, I didnt have to "rethink" anything, nor have I ever doubted my faith in Christ, I pulled out the Bible because I had forgotten exactly what the verse said, and I didnt want to forget anything. I dont consider that I have religion, I have Jesus.
Nice post. But I really don't think you have to continue to "defend" yourself, or that you should. You have explained what you meant by your post, and if it was misconstrued by some, well you are not the first person to be misunderstood.

Also, I don't think anyone called homosexuals names. The Bible says God Himself considers homosexuality to be an abomination. There is a difference.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:07 AM

23,033 posts, read 34,470,734 times
Quote:
AMEN! I have no doubts about my faith either. What we have is not religion but a relationship with Jesus!!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 AM

606 posts, read 702,288 times
Quote:
you don't have religion?you are non-religious?I'm puzzled

Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Nice post. But I really don't think you have to continue to "defend" yourself, or that you should. You have explained what you meant by your post, and if it was misconstrued by some, well you are not the first person to be misunderstood.

Also, I don't think anyone called homosexuals names. The Bible says God Himself considers homosexuality to be an abomination. There is a difference.
I agree, spunky. Also, Did I miss something, because I didn't see anyone even bring up homosexuality except sous.

I could have missed a post, but I didn't think I had seen that topic mentioned here...until then.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:18 AM

606 posts, read 702,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
AMEN! I have no doubts about my faith either. What we have is not religion but a relationship with Jesus!!
Never in your life have you doubted your religion?That means you have never tried to think about it on your own way.You just simply accept the notion that Jesus is the God...things like that.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,219,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
You are wrong here. There is only one religion that recognizes JC as a prophet, and that is Islam. One is not many.

Mother Theresa is very problematic. The books of her order are closed, but there do seem to have been huge discrepancies between what was donated to her order, and what was spent on the poor. It is quite possible that she actually spent most of the money on proselytizing or sending it to the vatican.

MT did not actually provide very good care to the poor, and did not give everything she had to the poor.
Judaism Also sees him as a prophet

Also just because the work Mother Theresa was trying to do didn't get accomplished the way it should have; do you really think that woman ,who was probably was older than methusela, was stuffing her pockets???
Maybe she had staff in her order that weren't as generous as she was
I really don't think attacking a dead woman is going to solve the issue here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality