Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:49 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I dont deny that word, it just has a further stretching meaning to some, as already stated in the above post.
Okay, I just realized that I'm having this conversation with two people: You and Spunky.

Who said what is neither here nor there. The point is this. You are correct that the word "religion" has many meanings. I posted nine such meanings from dictionary.com. The very first meaning is, to paraphrase, a belief in God. Everyone who believes in God is religious. There's nothing wrong with being religious. Being religious doesn't necessarily mean one belongs to an organized religion.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Everyone who believes in God is religious. on.

This is so far off the mark it's not even worth responding to. . .

Old 05-23-2007, 03:05 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times
Thats why I just left it alone as well!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:36 PM

19 posts, read 21,070 times
For those of you who have this personal relationship with Jesus or God or who ever; and for those of you who claim to know God or know Jesus; introduce me to him and we'll sit down and discuss things.

Ohhhhhh, I see, you can't really see him. You must have faith. What you call your faith, I call your hope. You hope he exists, and you hope you have a relationship with this figment of your imagination.

Let me be sure I have this all strait. You believe in him, you talk to him and he talks to you, and no one can really see him, you just believe in him. (Except for some that say the KNOW he exists and they talk to him and he talks back)

Now that I've got that all strait, let me introduce you to a word in the science of psychology. That word is schizophrenia, and there are professionals out there who can help you.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 PM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandm View Post
For those of you who have this personal relationship with Jesus or God or who ever; and for those of you who claim to know God or know Jesus; introduce me to him and we'll sit down and discuss things.

Ohhhhhh, I see, you can't really see him. You must have faith. What you call your faith, I call your hope. You hope he exists, and you hope you have a relationship with this figment of your imagination.

Let me be sure I have this all strait. You believe in him, you talk to him and he talks to you, and no one can really see him, you just believe in him. (Except for some that say the KNOW he exists and they talk to him and he talks back)

Now that I've got that all strait, let me introduce you to a word in the science of psychology. That word is schizophrenia, and there are professionals out there who can help you.
Ok, call me a schizophrenia believer. Because I do have a relationship with Him and His Spirit does talk to mine. I don't "hope" He exists, I know that He does. Maybe if you picked up the Bible He would introduce Himself to you too.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:31 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
I would have to add that psychiatric professionals also believe that temporal love epilepsy might be responsible for hearing voices, extreme dedication or obsession with all things religion.

Ellen White the prophet of the SDA church was probably suffering from this disorder. Now that much more is understood about it they have found several people in history who seem to fit the mold...Joan of Arc is one we have all heard of.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,227,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandm View Post

Some people just don't understand about Christianity and it is very hard to relate to those because, of course, it isn't going to make sense to them.

But schizophenia, now that's a riot. Putting believing in God aside, most of those "professionals" are nuts to begin with and probably don't help 5% of the people they're involved with. I believe it's quite a racket.

God is real, His Son is real, Heaven is real, Hell is real, and I'm glad I'm a Christian and will continue to reap the benefits of salvation in Jesus.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 PM

954 posts, read 813,708 times
[quote=KewGee;765604]

Quote:
God is real, His Son is real, Heaven is real, Hell is real, and I'm glad I'm a Christian and will continue to reap the benefits of salvation in Jesus.
If all those things are real, you should have no problem proving them to us. I'll just sit here and peel an orange whilst I'm waiting!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:28 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,246,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I would have to add that psychiatric professionals also believe that temporal love epilepsy might be responsible for hearing voices, extreme dedication or obsession with all things religion.

Ellen White the prophet of the SDA church was probably suffering from this disorder. Now that much more is understood about it they have found several people in history who seem to fit the mold...Joan of Arc is one we have all heard of.

LOL! Lisa, here you had me Googling for "temporal love epilepsy" wondering what in the world it could be. It didn't even hit me that you meant "lobe." But the Wiki article on it is fascinating - thanks for bringing it up!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:19 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
But schizophenia, now that's a riot. Putting believing in God aside, most of those "professionals" are nuts to begin with and probably don't help 5% of the people they're involved with. I believe it's quite a racket.
Now that's one belief I will have to argue with... as somebody who's been greatly helped by these "nuts", I can personally say you are wrong on that one. Psychiatrists do help people and save lives, so please don't "diss" this valuable profession. I took a psychology course in college, and it was SO interesting and logical, I almost considered changing majors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality