Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:22 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,767,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
you don't have religion?you are non-religious?I'm puzzled
I have a personal relationship with Jesus, to me the word "religion" is mans attempt to find God thru tradition and man made things, Jesus isnt about all that, hes is about knowing him, one on one.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:33 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,271,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I agree, spunky. Also, Did I miss something, because I didn't see anyone even bring up homosexuality except sous.

I could have missed a post, but I didn't think I had seen that topic mentioned here...until then.
Nope, you are right, just the Sous.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:37 AM

23,039 posts, read 34,489,100 times
Quote:
Never in your life have you doubted your religion?That means you have never tried to think about it on your own way.You just simply accept the notion that Jesus is the God...things like that.
No I have NEVER doubted God's love for me. I at one time did think in my own way and boy did I pay for it. I have learned it is wiser to think God's way not man's way. Yes I accept the fact that Jesus is God, it is simple. And what I have is NOT religion, my faith is not about religion but a relationship with the Living God through Jesus Christ.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,221,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I agree, spunky. Also, Did I miss something, because I didn't see anyone even bring up homosexuality except sous.

I could have missed a post, but I didn't think I had seen that topic mentioned here...until then.
Maybe he thought the thread was going to slow
wanted to put some salsa on it

Old 05-23-2007, 07:53 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,555,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
...to me the word "religion" is mans attempt to find God thru tradition and man made things...
That would be organized religion. One who believes in God, gods and/or the supernatural is religious by definition.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:12 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,271,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
That would be organized religion. One who believes in God, gods and/or the supernatural is religious by definition.
I guess it depends on what one considers the word religion to mean. I think people can be "very religious" and by that I mean attends and may be very active in organized religion, and may subscribe to many of the man-made rules/traditions, but they may not have a personal relationship with Christ. It may be all "outward" as opposed to "inward."

I think this is what people who arn't spiritual fail to understand. And I am not trying to be critical when I state this, just trying to explain. . .

Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 AM

23,039 posts, read 34,489,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I guess it depends on what one considers the word religion to mean. I think people can be "very religious" and by that I mean attends and may be very active in organized religion, and may subscribe to many of the man-made rules/traditions, but they may not have a personal relationship with Christ. It may be all "outward" as opposed to "inward."

I think this is what people who arn't spiritual fail to understand. And I am not trying to be critical when I state this, just trying to explain. . .
You are correct.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:30 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,555,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I guess it depends on what one considers the word religion to mean.
Let's find out!

From dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.
8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.
—Idiom
9. get religion, Informal. a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.
b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.

There you go. The first entry supports my previous statement: One who believes in God, gods and/or the supernatural is religious by definition.

Quote:
I could be snarky and say, "I think this is what people who don't reference dictionaries fail to understand," but I won't. Just sayin'...

Old 05-23-2007, 08:51 AM

606 posts, read 702,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No I have NEVER doubted God's love for me. I at one time did think in my own way and boy did I pay for it. I have learned it is wiser to think God's way not man's way. Yes I accept the fact that Jesus is God, it is simple. And what I have is NOT religion, my faith is not about religion but a relationship with the Living God through Jesus Christ.
how did you contact Jesus and get to know him?Did he tell that he loves you so much?
I guess,you went to church from childhood and everybody told you things about Jesus,thus,you believed it!.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:57 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,767,458 times
Quote:
how did you contact Jesus and get to know him?Did he tell that he loves you so much?
I guess,you went to church from childhood and everybody told you things about Jesus,thus,you believed it!.
Actually yes My parents took me to church, and they told me how much Jesus loved me and what he did for all of us on the cross, then when I could read, I read for myself how much he loves me, now that I am an adult, I can still read about how much he loves me, but I also learned as a child I could talk to him, give my troubles, problems to him, trust him with my life. Jesus is just a prayer away!!! and oh yes i believe it, so much eternity rides upon it.

Last edited by arguy1973; 05-23-2007 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality